DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

plug on rear drive shaft missing

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mopar_Head72 
#1 ·
So after having my trans serviced (band adjustment, fluid & filter change) I was informed that the "plug" that goes in the middle of the driveshaft yoke at the transfer case was missing and was causing my fluid leak.
They showed me on the lift and there is a big ass hole where a plug / plate goes to block off fluid coming from the trans case.
Anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement or what size said plug is? The trans shop said they could try and tack weld a piece of something in there or replace the yoke, but I didn't have the funds for it at the time.

I purchased a rubber freeze plug looking piece that I'll try and fit, but I have to drop the drive shaft and separate the yoke to get access to it.

I am hoping if I can get something about the right size in there and use some RTV that it will hold.

Any advice input is welcome appreciated...

#2 ·
I searched for np231 parts and several sites came up since the wrangler and other jeeps also use it. I don't know what plug you're talking about though. Only thing that should keep fluid in around the output shaft is a seal. The shaft is solid and the yolk slips over it.

#3 ·
I wasn't aware of one either, but it definitely leaks fluid out of it.
The seal seals the outer side of the shaft, the 'plug' seals the inner portion.

I found a fix, expanding freeze plug device.

Attachments

#5 ·
that would be it. I didn't want to fool with welding and this was a cheap & easy alternative.

So far so good, no leaks and the new u joint resolved a vibration issue at 70 mph.

#7 ·
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.