DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum R/T Tune Up?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  lil_hemi 
#1 ·
Although I'm not close to having the mileage to have a tune up yet, I was wondering if anyone else has? If so and if you had the dealer do it, what did it cost you? What mileage did you get it done at?

I'm only at about 12K mi but I thought that I remembered that somewhere I read that the tuneup wasn't due until about 100K. That just sounds impossible.

#3 ·
I would not trust my local dealer with my Magnum to do any maintenance, PERIOD!

And they are supposed to be a 5 star dealer!

Bob

#4 · (Edited)
AMEN, Bob. I wouldn't trust mine either, and they're actually not too bad to deal with. I let them do warantee work or accessory install (back up sensors, trailer hitch) only. If they screw that up it doesn't affect the rest of the vehicle....I hope.

Someone on another forum said they paid about $300 at the dealer, and they wanted to do a bunch of other un-needed work. They're easy to change though....all easily accessible. Sixteen spark plugs, spark plug socket, 10 inch extension, a set of metric sockets (for the coil packs), and a torque wrench and you're good to go. Don't get some fancy plugs either. Most say they're a waste of money, and the system was apparently designed to use the standard type plugs. You may want to do a search here, and check the other forums for more detailed info.

#5 ·
magnuman said:
AMEN, Bob. I wouldn't trust mine either, and they're actually not too bad to deal with. I let them do warantee work or accessory install (back up sensors, trailer hitch) only. If they screw that up it doesn't affect the rest of the vehicle....I hope.

Someone on another forum said they paid about $300 at the dealer, and they wanted to do a bunch of other un-needed work. They're easy to change though....all easily accessible. Sixteen spark plugs, spark plug socket, 10 inch extension, a set of metric sockets (for the coil packs), and a torque wrench and you're good to go. Don't get some fancy plugs either. Most say they're a waste of money, and the system was apparently designed to use the standard type plugs. You may want to do a search here, and check the other forums for more detailed info.
Sixteen Spark Plugs??? I guess I need to look under my hood, I thought there are eight spark plugs???

#6 ·
There are 2 plugs per cylender, so it is 16 spark plugs to replace.

Do not forget to apply some anti-seize to the spark plug threads, to prevent them from getting frozen to the heads.

Bob

#7 ·
Good call, Bob. I forgot to add that.

#9 ·
I had a local independent garage do my 36,000 mile spark plug change. They do my oil changes too (I buy the Mobil 1 and my own K&N filter, they charge labor only).

I have had dealers do only those things that DC pays for.

#10 ·
Stock spark plugs are the way to go.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.