DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake light and abs brake light problems

106K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  smartk 
#1 ·
My abs light and brake light started coming on at the same time. It would go on and off for awhile. Then I took it to the dealership and the guy told me its probably a fluke code because the two of them don't come on at the same time. I keep driving and it still does it. Now it comes on when I start it up and it goes off right away. Anybody else had this problem and should I take it in to get fixed?

#3 ·
Sounds to me like you should take it to another dealer who is willing to actually look at the problem and fix it, instead of just giving you a BS answer.

#4 ·
I've had the same thing happen occasionaly. I decided it had something to do with the shotty wiring job on the brake controller that the previous owner had installed. They still come on at startup, which I think is normal and I haven't had the lights flash at me at any other time since. There are some other posts on this issue, as well.

#5 ·
I dont know about anyone else, but I've had brake issues on other vehicles, and know people who have had brake issues on 3rd gen rams...but the abs light and brake light both come on...cuz usually, if you have a prollem with the ABS system, your brake system isnt goning to be working properly...and vise versa...call me crazy, but dealerships are full of crap...

My buddy has an 03 ram...and his abs/brake lights were coming on...ended up being a problem with his rear end gears...jus a bit of food for thought there...

#7 ·
Dealer is full of crap. It's the speed sensor. If it's not solid it may be going bad or the wiring may be bad/loose. You can get a hole in the wall mechanic to fix it for $100.

#8 ·
Having the same issue here, 2004 SLT QC 5.7L ABS/Brake Light came on and won't go off, also the speedometer is going crazy, going from 0 to 35 while standing still. Can you buy the sensor and where in the rear can it be replaced????????

#9 ·
smartk said:
Having the same issue here, 2004 SLT QC 5.7L ABS/Brake Light came on and won't go off, also the speedometer is going crazy, going from 0 to 35 while standing still. Can you buy the sensor and where in the rear can it be replaced????????
I had this problem. I'm not sure if it was the actual sensor, I believe it was the wiring. It's located on top of the differential. Mine was fixed under warranty. Good luck...

#10 ·
I have this problem every once in a while. The lights will flash and I will hear a ding, but nothing seems to be wrong and it does not happen while doing anything specific. I did a search on here once and I think it is a bug that the 02-03's had and nothing to be worried about. I have had it checked by 3 dealers and none of them could find a code or anything wrong. Just my .02

#11 ·
Good news !!!!!! Here's the fix. Anyone having the ABS/Brake light come on the dash along with a ding and a speedometer going nuts. ITS THE SPEED SENSOR !!!!! Located in the rear/transfer case. If you have done any driving through puddles/water on the road. The sensor can actually get water in it and cause a short. Take it to a second hand mechanic or do it yourself. Just clean it/dry it and put a sealing compound on it so it doesnt allow water in it. You can also adjust your cable. If the dealer say's he needs to run a diag($85 in most cases) tell him to check the sensor. Save your money. Hope this fix helps. by the way this was for a 2004 Ram 1500 QC 5.7L Hemi SLT. This is actually a common problem on this truck.

#12 ·
smartk said:
Good news !!!!!! Here's the fix. Anyone having the ABS/Brake light come on the dash along with a ding and a speedometer going nuts. ITS THE SPEED SENSOR !!!!! Located in the rear/transfer case. If you have done any driving through puddles/water on the road. The sensor can actually get water in it and cause a short. Take it to a second hand mechanic or do it yourself. Just clean it/dry it and put a sealing compound on it so it doesnt allow water in it. You can also adjust your cable. If the dealer say's he needs to run a diag($85 in most cases) tell him to check the sensor. Save your money. Hope this fix helps. by the way this was for a 2004 Ram 1500 QC 5.7L Hemi SLT. This is actually a common problem on this truck.
What about if the speedometer does not go nuts??

#13 ·
Is this located on top of the diff. case?

#14 ·
TREP R/T said:
Is this located on top of the diff. case?
I believe it is. You should be able to see an electrical connection while looking at the pinion side of the diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.