DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmission issues??

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  evillrdnikon 
#1 ·
Ok guys i need some help/advice. I took my truck to get a rotation/alignment/and trans flush. They didn't flush it but they took the pan off and installed the 2 new trans filters and added fluid. well after I left the truck worked just like it did before. Come the next day though i am pulling up to a light and i notice my RPMs are bouncing sometime below 250. well unlucky me my truck just dies as soon as i stop at a light. it turn right on just fine but everything worked fine until i had my trans service. I have 107k miles on my 05 ram 1500 4x4.

Has anyone else had this issue before and been able to fix it?? any advice helps. I will be still looking through the forums but i wanted to reach out to everyone for some help. Hopefully i didn't make a decision that just jeopardized my trucks life :help:

#2 ·
Was the trans kit a MOPaR or aftermarket? One day my truck had it's trans serviced & installed aftermarket. Woke up next day & drove it to work but after work was over it wouldn't do anything, Had it hauled to another shop and they told me it was the aftermarket kit & it had worked loose so from that day until now I only use MOPaR. Good luck with everything.

#3 ·
Thanks man, Im gonna say it was after markert filters that were placed in the transmission. my truck worked just fine before i took it to get worked on, now... smh. Thanks for the heads up though

#4 ·
your welcome. let's hope that's what it is.

#5 ·
ok so bad news... My symptoms went away after a while and about a month or almost 2, my trans is having issues again. I noticed the real issues when i left from dinner to head home as I turn on my truck, put it in drive and stepped on the gas. I could tell there was hardly any power but my rpms kept rising so i let off the gas and as my rpms dropped it KICKED...HARD into a gear. and thats when i noticed it wasnt shifting after that. My check engine light went on and as i was driving home on the freeway i could tell it wasnt not shifting. It made no sound or feeling of shifting. all it did was stay in one gear and would not drop. Just over 3000 rpms going 65 mph. As soon as i got home i pulled a P0700 code which ends up being pretty general but maybe issues with the TCM but who knows. needless to say i took it to dealership this morning because i need a dodge certified pro to help me out with this, or at least that is what i am banking on. I did, however, put the tune from 91 performance back to stock and for some odd reason i heard a loud clunk and my issues seemed to be gone...we ll sort of. Cruise control rendered me at 65mp 2200 RPMs, which is a little high. same with 50 mph and 55mph. Dealership called and said they have to drop tranny. :YO::ugh smh.. oh man... labor costs out the ass. so far all i got was my clutch index was too high and my trans psi was too high, or thats what i could make out on my cell phone since reception sucked.. what a day. anyway Thoughts would be appreciated. Hopefully this can get fixed on my tans with 108K miles on it.

#6 ·
Your brilliant trans flush/alignment guy wasn't knowledgeable enough to seat the flat filter seal into the housing before bolting on the flat filter, common mistake... he most likely didn't pull the old seal or just slipped on the flat filter with the new seal just sitting on the filter neck. This is not uncommon for someone that doesn't know these transmissions. Lesson learned, never let anyone except a proven knowledgeable Chrysler guy or yourself (after your homework) touch your stuff, this eliminates 99.9% of all people out there. Tough lesson learned!

#7 ·
05ramhendrix, thank you for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain what the possible problem was that caused this headache for me. Lesson learned for sure. Can you explain to me more I depth why this issue would have caused these problems? I am guessing you work on and know these transmission based off your response, or you may have had the same issues before

#8 ·
Without that flat filter seal firmly seated into the transmission housing transmission fluid is allowed to drain back out of the torque converter. The drain back condition may occur over a period time when the engine(and transmission) are not running. With less fluid in the torque converter and VB a delay in gear engagement may occur at engine start up while the torque converter fills to its proper fluid level. Without the proper fluid level in the valve body and torque converter weird symptoms like what you describe can occur. It is easy to be lazy and just use the existing seal or forget to seat the new seal during installation of the filters and just slide it up in there, both are wrong and cause issues. It is so important in fact it is written in large bold letters in the box wrapped around the new filter so you don't miss this step. Of course I havent inspected your truck so I speculate. Anyway I hope your issues get resolved without too much pain to the pocket book, good luck.

#9 ·
So I taled to the dealership yesterday and they said my line pressure was too high and my clutch index volume was way to high. I want to say about 40+ points higher than the normal range for both. It was hard to make out due to cell service unfortunately.. But I wanted to add that to this thread

#10 ·
Yeah, this is a common problem with poeple/places that don't know about that seal.

Thing will never show up for any codes and such.

$189 at a dealership to service and do it right.

#11 ·
OK guys! Got my Trans fixed with a re-manufactured one. Now for the problem. My trans has kicked on me twice(2x) and sent into 3rd gear (Fail safe) with a P0700 TCM code. I took it to the place since its under warranty and they said that they scanned and said my alternator is bad and not outputting the correct voltage and that is whats causing my issues. Is this, or can this even be possible???? I have never heard of a transmission issue like this being caused by a bad alternator, then again, i have never had to research a specifc issue like this involving an alternator and transmission.

#12 ·
Many strange and mostly not so wonderful things happen to electronics when battery voltage goes low or extra high. If you transmission gets any of it's shift information from the computer or any sensor I'd believe it could happen. To be on the safe side have your charging system checked. The entire charging system not just the alternator. If it is bad you're better off getting it fixed not only for your tranny but for your battery and other electronics too.

Mike

#13 · (Edited)
Still having issues, please help

I hope this thread can get more views from everyone because I am in dire need of some advice. I found a transmission shop that towed my truck to their shop, installed a re manufactured transmission, and did the service that provided a 12/mo 12k mile warranty. Now I know it's still under warranty but I am still have issues and so far I have taken it back to this shop to fix the leak(which it never had beforehand) and this issues for the past month at least 3-4 times. I really want to get this fixed and move on and I am reaching out to all of you.

The issues

It does this under any driving conditions so far. It will kick in third gear(fail safe mode) and pop a p0700 TCM (transmission control module) code. It has either randomly downshifted to 3rd while cruising, regular driving conditions, uphill or downhill, and I even pulled up to a stoplight and stopped. It didn't kick into third but shifted normally and I had no clue until I stepped on the gas at the green light and it was really hard to get my truck to get up and go then my check engine light came on.

So far my battery has been replaced, alternator replaced, and my transmission has been replaced with a re manufactured trans. What can I do to get this fixed right?

I would like to cross reference this closed thread http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445265
and this closed thread http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419953
both threads are similar to my issues.

#14 ·
Ok guys I have changed my alternator, battery, and the shop said they changed the ms solenoid(p2706 from the paperwork they gave me). My truck still kicks into 3rd(fail safe) and pops a p0700 code. Any thoughts??

#15 ·
Alright, so what i am going to do is take my truck to the dealer and have them reprogram my trucks TCM(Transmission Control Module). If this doesnt fix it, well back to the drawing board

#16 ·
Based on the suggestion about the electrical problem, maybe you need to clean the attach points for the 3 ground cables and the positive cables. Can't hurt...
Did the tranny they installed have a new solenoid pack, or did they reuse yours? RE the second thread you referenced, the throttle position sensor (TPS) might have a role.

#17 ·
I had this similar issue earlier this year. Mine was mostly due to my trans pan rusting out and leaking trans fluid. I installed a new pan with actual "Mopar" filters. Replaced the flat filter seal with the new one, added propper amount of fluid and haven't had an issue since.

I'd have the trans filters and that seal double checked for proper installation or if actual Mopar filters were even used.

#18 ·
OK guys so my TCM and PCM got re flashed... and not even 5 mins after getting my truck back it pops into 3rd gear. SO the re-flash didn't work and now it is back into the shop. will give more updates as soon as i get my truck back on whats been done. The work i had done on the trans is under warranty so it costs nothing to go back to the trans shop for them to fix it. Hopefully they figure something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.