DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4 grinding noise...need help please

23K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ram Pwnage 
#1 ·
I have a '01 1500 4X4 with the off road package with 130k on it. When 4 wheel is engaged (high or low), I get a grinding/knocking sound under acceleration which is accompanied by a pretty noticible vibration. This has been an ongoing sound, if I shift into 4x4. The truck has good upper/lower ball joints, wheel joints, shocks, new tires, etc. The truck has the 360 with 46RE trans. . Does anyone have any suggestions? There is no noise or vibration in 2 wheel drive or while coasting with the t-case in neutral. Found out the hard way and got stuck in mud!!!!!!!

Any ideas???

#3 ·
dodgensince74 said:
have you checked your front drive shaft?
no i havent....what exactly should i be looking for? Any tips?

#5 ·
Check the ujoints in the front drive shaft and the axle shafts, and if there's grinding might want to check the front diff and CAD unit in the front axle for any damage to the gears.

#6 ·
i had the same issue with mine, even before i bought it (haha, its an old company bush beater)

The CAD vac solenoid had been smashed on a rock bending the shaft and only allowing it to partially engage the axle. It ended up skipping and chewing up the axles and coupler!

#7 ·
looked underneath the truck today.....u joints look great. I tried the 4x4 and it worked great, except when i started to make a u-turn, then the wheel hopping began with a grinding sound.....

#8 ·
it kinda sounds like some thing inside the axle housing like ykdave was saying , make sure its engaging the axles fully when locked into 4wd , other than that man , im not sure what to tell you , that trucks a bit too new for my blood.

#9 ·
Were you using the 4x4 on paved road and turning? b/c if you did, that's bad for it b/c the wheels can't slip and you can damage stuff. Dodge dealer told me that wheel hopping is normal for the truck and just part of the 4x4, mine does it when you crank hard over even in the snow, but there's no grinding and my gears are in good shape. It's pretty easy to open the CAD housing and check it out to see if the gear teeth are damaged. Just be really careful with the bolts that hold the CAD housing on, they're way too small and snap way too easily if they get gummed up with corrosion (esp in salt belt states). I broke 2 when i took it off to replace the axle shaft seal with very little effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.