DodgeTalk Forum banner

Death Wobble

13K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  bonedragger 
#1 ·
I know there's about 50 threads on here about death wobble but thought I'd just give some information about what I just learned from a dealer. I went into the service department to tell them the issue I was having with my steering, I didn't even bother to mention the phrase "death wobble" since I assumed they would have no idea what I was talking about. To my surprise though, they called me back and said I was experiencing whats called "death wobble" and there is a technical service bulletin out for 3/4 Dodge's about the problem...basically a recall. They replaced the tie rod ends, steering damper, and a few other things for free. So Dodge is aware there is a problem and has put out a bulletin to get it fixed...and its all free.

#3 ·
The "Steering Upgrade" thread on this forum discusses it, if you have a chance to read it. The few people that have done it haven't all been pleased with it. How do you like it? Would you recommend it? Was your death wobble extremely bad?

#27 · (Edited)
I went in for a "creak" in my suspension, the dealer said it was more than likely related to the recall. Called me back about 2 hours later and said my truck was not one of the ones needing the recall, but it did need new tie rod ends and a ps pump. My extended warranty took care of all that minus my $100 deductible.

I did notice the steering is a lot cleaner when cornering, but now the thing pulls a bit over about 40mph. I'm sure the bigger tires will effect my length of life on the new ps pump but to be honest I never had an issue with it except on a very rare occasion when turning into a parking spot.

--Timbo-- What do you have over you cab with the lights?

#5 ·
Keep in mind I think the TSB states the vehicle must have the stock tires. So if you have anything other then the 33" BFG tires on, the TSB states not to do it. I'm sure it is up to the dealer though, so you may be able to con them into it.

TSB #22-005-06

#6 ·
i did what the tsb said to do. it didn't fix the problem, and dealer would do no more. after they thourougly inspected it, i went to the tire shop and he and i pulled the tires off. chucks of tread were missing....complete inspection by the dealer hugh. new bfg's on and no more death wobble! In my opinion, once the stock bfg's hit 40k, replace them no matter what.

Mike

#7 ·
I did the upgrade and it fixed the minor death wobble I had, very happy with it.

#13 ·
X2...got ride of the BFG AT's,problem solved..:tup:

#18 ·
x 3! haha ditched my 35" bfg ats for nittos and its like butter

#9 ·
After reading so much about "Death Wobble" on this forum, it seems to be an art instead of a science. But where Chrysler/Dodge is concerned with all the engineers they have, I'm sure they know exactly what's going on. The sad part is, all big corporations wait until they are sued, and It becomes more cost effective to fix the problem once and for ALL. :teacher:

#10 ·
I don't know how many people have seen this but it shows death wobble via video from under the truck. It make you wonder how the truck even stays on the road.:YO: Just click on death wobble when you open the page up.
http://thurenfabrication.com/misc.html

#15 ·
wow....great death wobble videos!

mike

#11 ·
IMO, it is a combination of things that cause it. I started to experience it ever so slightly the other day. Checked the tire pressure, it had dropped to 48-50psi between the 4 Cooper STTs, put them back to 60 psi and it went away. The tires, especially the stock tires are the biggest culprit. They buy in bulk on the cheap, and as its been said and proven before, it's cheaper for the company to pay out lawsuits when people die, than it is to do a recall or admit to a defective design or part. I think the tires are crap and prematurely wear out the ball joints and tierod ends. The owner gets fustrated,puts new tires on it, takes it back to the dealer, they say corperate wont pay for repairs cause they are not the right tires. It is ALWAYS about the money.

#12 ·
I have to agree with you. I purchased my truck in June of last year before I ever joined this forum and heard of "death wobble". I got death wobble immediately, but only on extreme bumps ant high speeds. Once I installed bigger tires that problem went away. I've concidered the steering upgrade, but I figure if there's no problem, why worry about it. Your right about Dodge and a payout as opposed to recall. It's has to be even worse now with the financial situation there all in.

#14 ·
Well, if nothing else you can't beat some free parts

#17 · (Edited)
I seen that video and I really would not want to be going 70 MPH and have that give way it would really make for a:SPIN: BAD DAY 2008 power wagon inferno red QC 4x4 flowmaster custom dual exhaust extang hard tonneau cover BFG 315 AT go rhino ss hitch step AEM brute force air intake filter mag huskyliner floor mats and putco black led cab lights

#20 ·
#21 ·
We have a little thing that gets in the way. It's called a smart bar. Every one of those that I looked at. The sway bar disconnect is in the way.

#23 ·
I dont think it would be that hard to modify, I started a thread about it. I'll have to look it up somebody said they already ordered one and were going to cut it to fit but then never got back so I don't know where they stand

#24 ·
After getting my lift and tires my death wobble has been getting progressively worse. The bushings on my track bar look like they're still good so I don't think its that. I was looking at my steering the other day noticed my tie rod didn't look quite right at the steering knuckle. The steering knuckle arm and tie rod socket are supposed to be parallel, and mine obviously aren't. Any thoughts on this being the main culprit for my death wobble?

Attachments

#31 ·
...noticed my tie rod didn't look quite right at the steering knuckle. The steering knuckle arm and tie rod socket are supposed to be parallel, and mine obviously aren't. Any thoughts on this being the main culprit for my death wobble?
It does look messed up. Can't be good. Let us know if fixing it helps w/DW...

#25 · (Edited)
Sorry to say this but IMO, it is a combination of things. I know, NOT what you wanted to hear after dumping all that money into the lift & tires. Thats why I did all mine first, so if/when I do lift it, I HOPE I don't run into the same issues. Ball joints uppers/lowers, front axle u-joints, tie rod ends, steering damper, shocks, tires/tire pressure & load range, control arm bushings, track bar bushings, ect... can each be worn just a little bit, to where no ONE part will solve the problem, but combined = death wobble. Start with the cheapest thing first---if there is a cheap one.

#26 ·
Yeah, I agree it could be any number of issues...which I was anticipating. I ordered a couple moog steering components to see if that makes any difference and then head from there.

#28 ·
Just want to add my experience to the thread.
I changed to 35" BFG A/Ts when the truck was brand new, June '09.
This August I began having death wobble at speeds of 65mph and higher when I hit rough pavement and uneven transitions on bridges, etc. The BFGs had 30k on them. Went to dealer and they checked out the front end and all was well within specs, except the steering damper was bad, so it was replaced under warranty. Still had death wobble. Noticed tires were worn rather unevenly, had them balanced, but no improvement. Replaced the BFGs which still had 6-8/32s left on them with a set of General Grabbers (35x12.50) last month and have had no problems, or wobble since then. Even tried to force it to happen on the same highway spots where it occured before and it was fine. At least for me, I'm convinced that the tires were at fault. Maybe it's because of the poor design and cheap ass parts Dodge put into the PW in the first place, that death wobble was facilitated by tires that would have been fine on my old F250.
Just my two cents, perhaps this info will be useful to some of you.
BX

#29 ·
I developed death wobble on on my IFS GMC running 35" BFG AT/Ko's. Tires were fine for the first 30M, then the problem began to develop and got to the point that it was dangerous. Tire wear looked fine, wheels/tires balanced perfectly, had truck aligned twice. Replaced the shocks (they were due, anyway), idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends, checked all bushings, problem continued. A Goodyear dealer recommended by my mechanic redid the alignment, drove the truck, and told me it was bad tires. So, I installed the new 33" BFG AT/Ko's that came on the PW (bagged and stored indoors since new). Eliminated the death wobble, but now after six months I can hear and feel the problem coming back. This is the third set of BFG's on this particular truck, and there were zero problems with 50M on the first set. All I can conclude is that something changed with the BFG's from my originals to the more recent generation tires. I read the Dodge/BFG TSB/Replacement doc that was posted here a year or two ago, and I have all the symptoms. Only conclusion I can draw is that I should buy different tires next time. My PW has been running 35" Toyos with no problems.

#30 ·
When I picked up my truck outside of San Diego and headed home to Montana I crossed over several bridges which had bad bridge-road surface transitions, mostly in Idaho. This was and is my only experience with the death wobble. On one crossing going about 75MPH, wobble was pretty bad and had to slow way down for control. Original tires now have 55,000 miles on them, winter is here and I am replacing with Bridgestone Revo 2....10 ply.

#32 ·
Something new which might help?

I found a set of videos on Youtube which might provide an answer to this problem.
However I'm not allowed to post the link as I am new and this group does not allow a link until I make 5 posts. You will have to find the links yourself. The youtube channel is "performanceforge"

#33 ·
I have replaced my track bar with a HD aftermarket unit, both upper and lower ball joints, upgraded the Y- link to the T- link steering linkage and Skyjacker stabilizer shock from Rick Hedrick Dodge online. Most of the "death wobble" is gone. However, I am having issues with the new steering linkage tie rods ends having too much play and causing the steering to have some slop. I have another complete upgraded (again) assy that I will install next week and let you know if the issue is finally gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.