DodgeTalk Forum banner

FYI - broken transmission pressure sensor

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  riorocks 
#1 ·
I already posted something on another thread, but I figured I might as well start a new one for those folks who didn't follow it. I had some transmission problems with my PW - the main one being that it didn't want to shift into 4th or 5th gear - and the dealer discovered that I'd smashed the pressure sensor on the transmission (probably with a tree branch). Other problems that seemed to relate to the sensor were a reluctance to shift into drive or reverse, and sometimes the truck had 4th but not 5th.

Anyway, just wanted to let folks know in case they had similar issues...at first I thought my transmission had entered 'limp home' mode, but I later discovered that wasn't the case. On my scangauge, I read codes P0730, P0734, and P0735 - but on the service receipt it lists codes P0869, P0732, P1790, and P0734.

I ended up just paying the dealer to replace the sensor...it didn't seem fair to fix it myself after they figured out what was wrong. Plus, it always helps to stay friends with your local service department. :D I obviously should have spent more time looking over the transmission, but I've never broken a sensor like that before...I've broken an amazing number of things, but never a transmission sensor. :)

My transmission has other issues as well - like a extremely hard 2-3 shift when under light throttle - but those problems existed before the overdrive issues, and weren't changed by the new sensor.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeahhhh, I say it's broke. LOL :D

Maybe you can glue it back together, and use it for a spare. LOL

#4 ·
flattire - I'll try to get a picture tomorrow that'll show where it is on the tranny.

Rusty - Yeah, that's why I didn't complain when they said it wasn't covered under the powertrain warranty...it's pretty obvious I broke it, so it'd be hard to claim that it was Dodge's fault. :D

#5 ·
Finally got a chance to snap a quick picture of where the pressure sensor is on the tranny - it's on the passenger's side, towards the back of the transmission. It's sort of underneath the exhaust pipes, so I wouldn't recommend trying to replace it if the engine's hot. :)

I also found a bit more damage under the truck than I remember...it looks like I might have to start being more careful before I end up with some expensive repairs. I also have some wiring ripped off the hangers, so I need to get that tied up and out of the way before I catch it on something.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.