DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A833 tranny change to NP435 tranny SWAP

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  B-300 
#1 ·
i want to take out the A833 tranny out of my 78 d100 and install a NP435 granny low tranny out of a 65 d200. both are slant sixs. can yall tell me how to swap em. give me tips? tell me what i have to do. teach me how:help::cheers::IDEA:

#2 ·
You will need a bellhousing for the /6 that has the bolt mount pattern for the A833. (If I'm not mistaken the one on your 65 has a 4 point engine mount.)
The clutch will work as will the linkage for the most part.
When I did a swap to an A833-od on a V-8 in my 78 van, I had to use a bellhousing for a granny tranny and modify it for the 833. This meant drilling and tapping 2 holes for the upper bolts and adding an angle iron to the lower edge were the dust cover bolts on and enlarging 3 of the bolts to 3/8" so there was a place to bolt the lower edge of the transmission to. (I trimmed the dust cover to fit on the outer 2 bolts.)

#3 ·
the 65 d200 im not going to install the a833. it will be for sale on ebay. i just wondering if the granny low gear np435 will bolt right in to my 78 d100.:worthy:

#4 ·
Check and compare the overall length, if the NP435 uses the a sliding spline at the output (many have flanges and driveshafts with sliding splines), and look at the bellhousing to see if it has the correct bolt pattern.
If all is good it should fit. (The A-833 used in trucks and NP435 both use the large 5.25 bearing registar in the bellhousing and the same 1" input shaft with 23 splines.)

#5 ·
The bellhousing is different for sure. Since you are swapping from slant six to slant six using a donor just replace everything from the flywheel back. The driveshaft may be an issue as B-300 says. You will be able to use the donor shaft however it may have to be lengthened/shortened depending on the wheelbase of the trucks. The clutch linkage on your 78 should bolt right up to the 65 bellhousing

#6 ·
I have an 833-OD in my 78 van with a 360 and a modified bell housing that was from a truck with a NP-435. I had to bolt an angle bracket on it for the lower bolts to mount to. (I did this because I wanted to have an 11" clutch.)
The 833 wasn't used on many if any V-8 trucks or vans but was used with /6's on vans and trucks so finding a bellhousing shouldn't be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.