DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

01 3.8 AWD Tranny exploded - replace tranny cooler?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RickMN 
#1 ·
I have an 01 Grand Caravan with the 3.8L AWD, and about 95k miles on it. The tranny apparently had 1st gear and reverse disintegrate, and as a result I need a new tranny. Thankfully I bought an extended warranty, and they are going to cover most of the cost (less a $100 deductible), and will be putting in a used tranny with 65k miles on it.

The only thing that it won't cover is components that have not actually failed at this point. The dealer is recommending replacement of the transmission cooler since it is probably has metal shavings in it that could not be fully flushed, and would eventually work their way back into the tranny. What do you all think? Is it worth the extra $400 to have it replaced, or are they just padding their services? I'm also thinking it would be worth it to put in synthetic tranny fluid?

Thanks for any advice...

#3 ·
I agree. The warranty Company Should replace the cooler. I cannot understand why they think it does not have anything to do with the transmission it is an integral part of the drivetrain and especially the transmission. As for synthetic fluid, I would run regular transmission fluid in a used transmission. There is really no need to change the fluid to synthetic unless the transmission is totally rebuilt. I would have the transmission shop put into writing for you that the cooler is also bad and that they recommend replacement of the cooler along with the transmission itself. A good shop should do this for you.

#4 ·
I cant believe that they wont cover it either, but they won't budge. So with that being the case would you pay the $100, not replace the tranny cooler and if there are problems down the road then take it in again under warranty ( I have about 2.5 yrs and 26k miles left under the warranty). Or should I bite the bullet, pay ~ $500 total and get the cooler replaced to be on the safe side?

#5 ·
Well I guess that is your choice at this point. I would just leave the old cooler in there and take your chances. Look at it this way, If the trans goes out again at least you can tell the warranty company next time that because they were so cheap and would not replace the cooler that the cooler is faulty and caused the new unit to fail. Then they will be on the hook to replace both.

#7 ·
The shop should flush the trans cooler as an standard procedure on a trans replacement. After flushing, they should install an in-line filter in the return line. An in-line filter is also "standard procedure" when there has been a catastrophic failure. An in-line filter is about $35. The warranty company should cover the labor charge and parts for the in-line filter. Also $400 for a new transmission cooler is outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.