DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

la swap

3K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  madmikeismad 
#1 ·
I have a 99 ram 2wd with a 318 I am putting s 360la into it. My question is if I keep the computer in it will the trany still work.

#4 ·
the gray area between ?to pcm or not to pcm? that is the question!
i guess for gauges you need some of the on board ecu. but can you take out the "re" and swap out with the "46rh"
mopar used to put out a crate motor magnum with carbed intake. cam snout is different for the fuel pump. chain cover from the la blocks! humm?
how involved is this cross bread?

#5 ·
I think trying to keep the pcm and get everything communicating properly, without a crankshaft position sensor will be challenging. Without that signal the pcm won't provide ground for the fuel pump. Someone correct me if there's a way around this. I agree with spun360, going with a rh would be easier, but keep us posted on where this build goes.

#9 ·
Gotcha. I would want to keep it as well then. Unfortunately I am not sure how you can work around that. I would think that is getting into pcm building territory. If it's even possible to do, get rid of the fuel injection. I am unsure of what the pcm reads for the electric control of the 46re. Probably engine speed, possibly map, so I'm sure there would be a lot to it.

#10 ·
I was thinking if I run all the sensors on the motor it might work. The only think that will not be hooked up is the injectors and the tps. The reason I am doing this is because I just got a 3360la with 450hp given to me cause the quy cant race any more

#14 ·
I think your best bet is to remove the pcm and run a 46RH or 727. The pcm monitors the engine sensors for rpm/load conditions and and adjusts shifts according. With out a crank/cam /tps etc... the pcm doesn't even know the motor is running. I guess you could experiment and put vital input sensors on the motor and see what happens if you got the time.

#15 ·
rh will still require a tps and maybe crank sensor for OD and LU. Operationally, the 2 trans require the same stuff. You can put OD and LU on switches though, and control them manually.

#26 ·
hate to say it. but your prolly going to repeat yourself for a few of us simple folk till we get you some knowledgeable help.
if the 46re is built to the max: sprags, clutches, bands, drums, & what not, perhaps the loss of the re valve body wouldnt be so bad. i believe patc can turn a re to a rh. just the valve body would be a loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.