DodgeTalk Forum banner

REC w/GPS/Sat/UConnect to MyGig RER GPS/Sat/UConnect upgrade project

47K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dennis1960 
#1 ·
I thought to share my REC Nav/Sat UConnect upgrade to a MyGig RER Nav/Sat UConnect. It took a little research to get this through, and of course a few bucks. I figured if I'm keeping this truck, and not upgrading to a 4G, which I don't see any impelling reason why at this time, unless of course the 6.4L may get offered (and will just think about it), and my plans to get a 2012 Jeep SRT8, I want to at least bring the electronics up to date.

==========
==========
RER MyGig Purchase

I just bought an RER MyGig, w/ 30g drive from a place called OEMAutoParts (http://www.oemautopartsco.com/) for a pretty good price, along with all the cables and pieces I need to make it work. If you are going to buy one, make sure you ask for the RER MyGig Low Speed Part# 5064401AK. I made sure I gott the latest release version available, the "AK" at the end of the part number. I believe each revision the last letter was incremented.

The important thing to keep in mind, all 2006 - 2009 3G have a LOW SPEED CAN bus. 2010 and newer are the high speed CAN bus. The "CAN" stands for Computer Area Network, and is what the ECM is based on. Just as computers (they are computers), they come with different bus speeds. That is the speed of how fast data travels between components, and each component in the system are designed for that specific speed. Therefore, a Low Speed CAN bus system can't work with a High Speed CAN bus, and vice versa, for obvious reasons.

==========
==========
MyGig RER Low Speed CAN

If you want a Low Speed CAN RER for your 2006 - 2009 3G PW or Ram, go to their website and email Doug at OEMAutoParts. He'll give a great deal on everything you need. I'm not sure about the 2005 model year. I believe they are also a low-speed CAN system, but the best thing to do is contact Doug to find out what your options are.

I also bought a CoastalETech Lockpick MyGig Adapter (www.coastaletech.com) in order to adapt an RER radio to a 3G truck or other vehicles with a low speed CAN.

Doug sells this too, but I wound up buying it at COastalETech prior to finding out that OEMAutoParts carried it. I didn't hgave the heart to tell him I already had it. Oh well.

The adapter allows an RER low-speed unit to work in a 3G vehicles. Besides the ability to make it work, it also has camera capabilities.

==========
==========
Nav/Sat Antenna Considerations

The RER unit has built-in UConnect, NAV and Sirius/XM (the XM comes with the updated MyGig firmware). It requires an antenna input for each the Sirius/XM receiver and GPS/Nav unit from the roof, and the FM antenna from the cowl mounted antenna.

OEMAutoparts sent a 12" adapter wire to go from the cowl antenna lead to the white square plug (white FAKRA connector) in back of the RER into a white square connector. So that took care of AM/FM. It even has AM HD. Nice.

Because the original REC unit has the same antenna wire for both the Sirius and GPS/Nav receivers, it only has ONE antenna input socket. Darn. Therefore there was only one wire coming from the roof antenna. Kind of disappointing beacuse the RER has an antenna input for both. So part of the deal, I received a GPS magnetic antenna (small - about 2" square and 1/4" tall) with an 8' wire with a Blue FAKRA connector. Later looking at OEMAUtoPart's website, I found out the one they sent me was a Chinese knock-off. They also sell the "Factory" antenna (Mopar Part# 05064910AA), which kind of upset me that he didn't tell me I was getting a knock-off, or a "Repro," as they call it.

My friend installing it (Dodge/Jeep tech) said the roof antenna feed can be found in the right kick panel (it's an off-yellow square plug). It was plugged into another wire right in the kick panel that goes to the Sirius receiver unit behind the glove. (And here I thought the RER has the Sirius receiver built in. I guess it doesnt!) So we unplugged it and plugged in the supplied 6' long yellow square to yellow square plug (FAKRA connector) extension that plugs into the back of the RER's off-yellow square socket FAKRA connector that it plugs into.

But we couldn't use it for the GPS/Nav antenna input. Remember, the RER has two antenna inputs. THe later High-speed version of this radio, called an RHR (2010 model years and newer), has one antenna input that is split internally. But I couldn't use that radio since it's a High Speed CAN bus version. Oh well, that sucks.

So now I am looking for some sort of Y-adapter for that plug. It's not that easy to splice antenna leads. I did find one possible solution, but it's in reverse.

It takes two feeds and combines them. I wonder if there is the opposite version? The unit is called a Power Splitter/Combiner device that combines a GPS and SAT antenna signal. It's made by mini-circuits (www.mini-circuits.com). The model number of the device is ZFSC-2-2500 or ZFSC-2-2500-S+. So know I have to research this part a little more (searching Google with "ZFSC-2-2500"). Mayb Pit Slave and his electronics background can comment on this?

Device Data Sheet Link:
http://www.mini-circuits.com/pdfs/ZFSC-2-2500+.pdf

I found the above info at
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread....2007-2010-JK&p=2406912&viewfull=1#post2406912
or
http://tinyurl.com/3fd2f8v

So we plugged in the little GPS antenna, attached it to the top of the RER unit with the magnet and took it for a ride. We left the dash bezel and everything else off in case we had to make changes.

The Nav never figured out that we are in SE PA and not in Michigan. Huh?? Apparently the last time this radio was in a car was in Michigan. Messing around with it,

I set a route to my home address. According to the the Nav, we were 565 miles away. Cool. I went into the GPS setup and found 0 satellites were found. We looked at each other. Antenna??

So then we pulled over, I pulled the mini GPS antenna out and stuck it on the roof. Bam, the thing initialized with 7 satellites and it accurately showed where we were in Chadds Ford, PA. Nice.

Later that was when I found the Mopar antenna (Part# 05064910AA) which I may wind up getting if I can't find a splitter.

So we got back to the shop, and he ran the wire up the drive A pillar, and put it directly at the top near the corner of the windshield hidden behind the head liner. Worked nicely.

==========
==========
UConnect

I couldn't use the mirror microphone with the UConnect. At least not directly. I have to get a factory adapter harness, Part# 82211666 (about $105.00) that will allow it to plug into the RER and regain the mirror mic's features, such as the UCOnnect, etc.

If you don't have a factory UConnect mirror, and want one, you have to buy the mirror (Part# 55157457AC) and use this harness, Part# 8221164 (about $165.00), There are more factory mic mirror part#s with various options (http://www.wkjeeps.com/MyGIG_parts.htm#UPGRADING or http://tinyurl.com/3fst4go), but the one above is the one I have.

Stand alone factory mic is Part# 82211743 (around $41.00).

They sent me a mirror mic with the correct black square plug that connected to the back of the RER to a black square socket. The wire was run up the A Pillar and put the mic directly in the far upper left corner of the windshield.

Here's an install PDF for it: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82211743.pdf .

But I will wind up getting the adapter cable so I can use the mirror mic.

==========
==========
Sirius Activation

So now we're messing with it. The previous owner still had an active Sirius account. NICE! That thing sounds much better than my RER. I am now looking into fining replacement rear seat speakersm, which sound like sh1t. The rear ones are really bad. Anyone know what size those speakers are? I'm guess without taking the door panel off, they are round 8" speakers.

==========
==========
Amp and Speakers?

I may also look for a new amp to give the whole thing some juice. Maybe the SRT 10 Ram amp? That's a 500 watt amps. If I do that, I have to hunt down the wiring harness Part#s.

I also have an old Alpine amp (I think it's a 500 watt unit. I bought it 20 years ago and took it out of a car when I sold it. But it's the old fashion type and I'm not going to try to figure out these frigging wiring harnesses these days. I think the new stuff all adapts to the new vehicle wiring harnesses. A friend of mine bought a high end stereo store in Bryn Mawr, PA. He used to work there for years, and one day he bought it. I'll touch base with him.

==========
==========
MyGig RER How-To's

Dodge even has an online How-To for the RER:
http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/mygig/

So far, this is awesome!!!!

==========
==========
MyGig RER Models

Here's a basic breakdown of the various MyGig radio models availabe (not including the REC) .

This info came from http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav_2.htm or http://tinyurl.com/3hy4pkh This website also has a good guide of all features theseradios have, including troubleshooting guide, with info on firmware and the Gracenote updates.

MyGIG model summary

1. Media Center 430N CD/DVD/HDD Radios (also called "UConnect tunes")

REN - MyGIG radio without navigation - North America
RBZ - MyGIG radio without navigation - North America (new replacement for REN, very similar)
REZ - MyGIG radio without navigation - South Africa, Middle East "GCC", Australia, and New Zealand

2. Media Center 730N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV Radios (also called "UConnect GPS")

RER - MyGIG radio with navigation - North America
REW - MyGIG radio with navigation - Europe
REP - MyGIG radio with navigation - South Africa, Middle East "GCC", Australia, and New Zealand

3. Media Center 430N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV Radios with separate screen (also called "UConnect tunes")

REU - MyGIG radio with navigation - North America, separate screen version used only in the Dodge Journey
REX - MyGIG radio with navigation - Export models, separate screen version used only in the Dodge Journey
RE1 - MyGIG radio with navigation - Export models, separate screen version used only in the Dodge Journey

Did you know that the MyGig units above are the same exact radios that the factory VW vehicles use, such as the Routan, etc? Yep, they use the same exact ones.

They call it the JoyBox Infotainment Systems. Go figure.

==========
==========
Cameras

I bought three cameras too, from CoastalETech. I figured one for the license plate with infrared lighting reaches about 10m), and two I will mount somewhere - haven't figured it out yet. Maybe one in the grill, and one I can flip between the two sides of the trucks during off road excursions to see how close I am to obstacles. I'll figure that out later. I haven't hooked them up yet. Ran out of time on Friday night. Maybe I will get another one so I have them on both sides of the truck. Only thing is the RER only accepts two cameras. It was suggested to have all three extra cameras coming into one Aux input with a triple toggle switch for power so only one will have power at any given time. Not a bad idea. This way I can flip it between both sides or the front of the truck.

==========
==========
Other's Installation Threads

Here's a complete thread on the installation and features this radio gives:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/...nnect-software-fix-available-2-5-11-a-960968/
or
http://tinyurl.com/3lfe2gg

MyGig RER Installation Guide:
http://mofv.com/mygig/Documents/MyGIGInstallinstructions.pdf

If you want to take your PW offroad in TOTAL DARKNESS, here's a FLIR Night Vision Cam for $2495.00
http://www.navtv.com/product/103/pathfindir-night-vision-camera-base-model.html?forceShowProduct=1

====================
====================
For REC only:

The REC Nav unit was the unit that came out with the 2006 model year for teh whole Mopar lineup. The unit did not have a built in Sirius or UConnect module. The UConnect model is a separate unit called a Telematic transceiver (the Bluetooth transceiver). The Sirius unit is a separate unit that is found behind the glove box. The antenna wire comes from the roof antenna to the Sirius unit, then from that to the back of the REC radio. This is the same antenna wire that is used by the GPS/Nav unit.

To add the Uconnect factor unit to an REC or a non-REC for an 2006 - 2009 vehicle, you need teh following to make it work:
(Info from http://www.lxforums.com/board/f70/installing-factory-uconnect-your-lx-22586/index13.html)

1. Telematics UConnect Transceiver module (made by Johnson Controls) PN# 5064-013AH - ($349.00 - Dodge Collision parts book)

2. Dual Microphone mirror - PN# 04806228AB or PN 55157457AC ($128.79 - Dodge Collision parts book)

3. Harness PN# 05089051AB (Chrysler 300 parts book)
I believe this part # will also work: PN 82211868
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/wir...ho-upgraded-to-uconnect-gps-rer-82211868.html
or http://tinyurl.com/423235s
Take a look at the wiring diagrams for the mirror harness and see which will work, depending on what you currently have in the truck. You may also want to give Ted Harris a call.

4. Harness from Ted Harris, because I don't think the above one has the right pinouts. It's been 2.5 years since I've installed it and don't remember specifics. I got this harness: JETLX - Underdash UConnect wiring harness. Call up Ted to double check. It was $75.00. It may be the same one as PN 82211868.

Here's a breakdown.

1. UConnect Telematics - This is the Bluetooth transceiver. It's a little larger than a pack of smokes that goes under the dash, plugs into the back of the REC radio, and you would plug in the mirror mic.

2. Mirror Mic

3. Harness from the mic to the Telematic transceiver. I got this from a Ted Harris at www.moparsupercenter.com. He might not remember my name, but I was the very first person to test this out on a Ram. He had designed it for the LX series, but after him and I discussed it on the phone for an hour, we decided that more than likely all Mopar wiring and CAN systems were the same, except for bus speeds. So I bought it, got it installed and called him from it right after the installation while still at the dealer. The tech put it on the Starscan so it recognizes the transceiver, then add it to the ECM/CAN system. Once you add it using the Starscan, the Nav screen now shows roaming, signal strength, battery level, and phone number/caller ID.

Ted Harris
800-456-5337
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/

CoastaleTech also has a lockpick for the REC radio to unlock it, add cameras, iPod, GPS in motion, etc. www.coastaletech.com.

So what I have laying around right now are an REC radio, which I believe the guy I bought the radio from is willing to give me $325.00 for it. I think I will take him up on that, unless someone here wants it. Contact me...

I also have the UConnect Telematics transceiver, since now I don't need it. That was an expensive module at $349.00.

Here are the pics...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pics... The very bottom pic is my original radio. All others are of the new MyGig RER.

Attachments

#3 ·
Holy sh!!!!t I'm just happy that I get FM on my radio. LOL

#6 ·
LOL! You know me and my gadgets!!

DAMN!!!! I quit reading after the first paragraph. I'm saving this for work! hahaha!!!;D
Scroll down to Mini-Ciruits' ZFSC-2-2500. Is the opposite doable?

What happend? did you get bored? run out of things to do? Good grief!
LOL, no! I've got plenty to do! But this was a project mod I've been wanting to do for over the past two years. I just finally got around to it. I bought the pieces bit by bit and just finally got the last piece, the radio itself, and went to town.

If it wasn't for my tech friend with his extreme knowledge of vehicle wiring, I would have been lost. He was the one that pointed out the Sat/Nav antenna extension was behind the kick panel, and different wiring and connector types under the dash, the Sirius unit (which I've always thought was part of the Sirius radio??), etc. Otherwise, I would have needed a whole new antenna run to the roof!

#4 ·
DAMN!!!! I quit reading after the first paragraph. I'm saving this for work! hahaha!!!;D

#5 ·
What happend? did you get bored? run out of things to do? Good grief!

#7 ·
Very nice write up. I'm thinking about swapping from REC to MyGig. One thing I learned when I installed a backup camera on my 3G truck. I powered the backup camera from a relay. The relay (86) was triggered by the backup light circuit. After a while, I had no backup camera, or backup lights. Figured out that the collapsing magnetic field from the relay was putting the backup light circuit into a over current situation. After 5 times of overcurrent, the TIPM shuts the circuit down. Had to go to a dealership to get the TIPM reset. After I did this, I diode protected the backup light circuit from the relay. Has worked fine since then.

#8 ·
I put the backup camera shown in the pictures above connected to the Lockpick. It worked nicely. The camera even has a built in distance parkers to show object distances.

FYI, I had a problem with the RER two weeks ago. The blue connector broke. I sent it in to www.navrepair.com to get it fixed.

In the meantime, I reconnected my old REC radio. It was a bit of a pain to swap the connectors for the GPS antenna in the kickpanel, and to remember how the UConnect telematics unit got connected. One thing I missed with the REC that I didn't realize is the rear view mirror dimmer power and UConnect controls do not work with the RER. There's a harness to connect it for microphone only, but not for the other stuff.

So at this point, I'm leaving the REC in the truck and getting the Lockpick for the REC, and connect the rear camera. I may have an RER and Lockpick for sale shortly. :D

#11 ·
2009 Grand Caravan SXT Mygig radio

I have a 2009 grand caravan SXT with a mygig REN radio/dvd/backup camera.

Nothing works....when I turn the car on I get no dodge logo, no radio nothing. Fuses are fine....I looked at fuse M34, M10 and M12. All fuses are fine. I tried disconnecting both battery cables....nothing.

I can only assume the unit is fried but one would think some of the features work. Any suggestions ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.