DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lower My 4x4

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  captkozmo 
#1 · (Edited)
You read it right. I need to lower my '04 standard cab 4x4. Before anyone starts screaming about why I would lower a 4x4, I do have a reason. My wife is disabled. It's very hard to get her in and out of the truck when it sits so high. I could always get a 2x4 truck, but then when it snows I'm screwed! So lowering my 4x4 is an option I'm looking into. It will do two things: 1) Make it easier to get her in and out of the truck. Maybe she'll even be able to get in on her own 2) If she can get in on her own, it will give her back a little bit of her dignity

So a rear axle flip will give me about a 5" drop I'm told. The front of my truck already has the torsion bars cranked up raising the truck 2" to make it sit level. Been that way for about 12 years now. Loosening the torsion bars back to stock should lower the front back down 2", and loosening a bit more until it sits level again would be about another 3" or so

My questions are simple:

1) Would it still be align-able like that?

2) How bad would it ride?

3) If the ride would be really bad, what other options are there to get another 3" after setting back to stock height?

See less See more
#5 ·
2/4 spindle drop kit from McGaughy's ought to do the trick. Since you're 4x4, you're about 1" higher in the front than a 2wd, so you'll get about 3" of drop up front and 4 to 4.5" of drop in the rear.

Here's the link. The drop spindles moves the position of the wheel up, keeping everything in factory alignment specs. If you have stock 17" rims, you'll need to grind off the bit of ball joint bolt sticking out of the nut, and put a .5" spacer on the front rims to keep them from hitting the LBJ nut. But, if you have stock 20's, then you're good to go.

If you look on McGaughy's website, they have a kit for your truck for a little under $600
Oh, and they'll say that their spindles won't work with 4wd, but searching the forums you'll find that they do :)
Good luck!

#8 ·
Hey no problem. That was my first post on here, and it wouldn't let me add the link. I tried :) haha. Anywho, don't forget to post pics if you do lower the truck! I may be moving to Michigan in the next 2 years, but I still want to lower my truck. You can fit a plow on a lowered truck, right? (JK!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.