DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Headers

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dapepper9 
#1 ·
Im looking at getting some shorty headers for my 5.9 v8. Theyre just ebay stainless steel headers. Im sure the bolts and gaskets are not going to hold up well, so what are some good brands for these? And what kinds of performance gains have you guys gotten from shorty headers?

#2 ·
use the provided gaskets for what they're worth. who knows! pot luck- perhaps they are good. "mr gasket" has a good performance gasket but i dont recall the part number. remflex gaskets are a sure fire bet! and for bolts- just use twelve point 1 inch long ARP with lock tite blue on them. make sure to find a twelve point box end wrench.
i got great results with my chinese stainless ebay headers. lasted bout 5yrs till the collectors rotted out. dont wrap them cause it will help retain moisture. could clear coat them with VHT 2000* clear. that will help them last a little longer.

#4 ·
ive used remflex on 3 turbo builds now, i dont think i would go back to anything else.
headers arent a huge gain over stock but they will help out.
i actually just bought a set of ebay headers and some remflex gaskets to finish this build, i also chucked the stock bolts and im using 1/4" longer arp bolts to help compensate for the thicker gaskets and get a little more bite into the aluminum heads

#6 · (Edited)
JBA, spintech, gibbons, edelbrocks. i like my ceramic coated pacesetters!

#9 ·
not all the same. pacesetters have shorties and long tubes. so some will direct fit and some will not. also take into consideration the collector size. stock size down pipes are 2". 2" is small for a performance v8. mine are now 3" collectors. my whole entire exhaust was done to fit the headers. some headers have a 2 1/2" collector. depends on the budget allowance. are you looking for modest gains? entire exhaust rusty, in need of replacement? or just headers and be done with it?
definitely do a stainless or a ceramic header. nothing less!

#8 ·
Loving my pacesetter long tubes, truck sounds so good!

#10 ·
Ya don't do what I did, I said after they burn off I'll take them off am coat them, well mine look like poop, sound great but look like poop lol, an i no longer have the urge to take them off!

The pacesetters i saw on summit only offered 3inch collector In long tubes, but I'm sure he could have a shop put a adapter on it to drop it to 2 1/2

#12 ·
I'm if you don't have any mods 3 inch might be a little much, I had true dual 3inch exhaust from my 3 inch long tube pacesetters an I recently added a pacesetter Y pipe an did a single in double out muffler an wow the low end power was allot more noticeable!

#13 ·
i cant list all the specs for all the headers available out there. for a typical shade tree repair guy, you may want to stick with a standard direct fit set of inexpensive stainless shorties. you got to pick a direction and stick to it. you got some research to do. ebay stainless chinese shorties are not bad.

#14 ·
All shorties available for these are 1.5" primaries, 2" collectors and mate up to the factory 2" ypipe. Pacesetter longtube are 1-3/4" primaries, 3" collectors, and need either their offroad ypipe or some fun with fabrication. Spintech midlength are 1-3/4" primaries, 3" collectors and require fabrication for the rest of the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.