DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronic Throttle Control

12K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  OrangeCaliber 
#1 ·
This past Saturday, I tried to start my Caliber and it would not turn over. The Electronic Throttle Control light came on so I had it towed since it would not start. The dealership called me this morning and informed me there was no problem and the car started just fine and no warning lights came on. I am really leary of this dealership because of past dealings and I really do not trust what they say. I had to have my Caliber towed to the dealership since it was within the 10 mile radius for roadside assistance. Has anyone had problems with their Caliber or another vehicle? I'm just concerned if I need to get a second opinion. I have a 2007 Caliber with 7,000 miles. I have had it only 3 months and bought it brand spankin' new. I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

#3 ·
They asked me if I did touch the gas while starting and I swear I did not. Every car I had was an electronic ignition so I never had to hit the gas when starting it. Like I said, I do not trust this dealership/service department. Several years ago I had a 2001 Stratus and everytime I hit the brakes, the dashboard lights would disappear. The dealership's diagnosis was that activity was normal for Stratus's. Now, I am female and I do not have a strong mechanical background and knowledge, but that did not sound right. I took it to another dealership and found out I had a defective part (I cannot recall what part). My family and I have had other "incidents" with this dealership, but with them being the only Dodge/Chrysler dealership within 30 miles, there really is not much choice unless you want a huge towing bill. :(

#4 · (Edited)
Stalling 1.8L & 2.0L

If you check other Caliber forums you will find stalling has been a problem
and DC knows it exists and have issued a TSB to resolve it.
On other forums people who have had the problem found that they
had to push some of the poorer providers of service in the DC family to act
on the TSBs,they usually blame you or say it's normal,well don't except
it go to another dealer when the car is running and call DC customer
service to complain about your treatment.
You can check all the TSBs yourself at www.alldata.com/tsb/chrysler/index
There is a TSB covering a memory reflash that cures stalling,a number of
owners have had it done and now are happy Caliber owners.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the slip when I picked my Caliber up last night and it says:

Found code stored P0522
Performed TSB related to code stored
Reflash PCM test drive OK at this time

When I did a search for code P0522 it has to do with oil pressure.

However, I did call another dealership for a second opinion and they told me that it sounds like a power surge faulted that code/light. What would cause a power surge? The only accessory I had plugged in was my radar detector.

#6 ·
Power surges or spikes can be caused by load variations in the supply
or charging systems.
These could be caused by the alternator operation or by something
you plugged in or unplugged at a critical point in the system cycle.
Not much you can do about it other then being careful as user.
However if it happens frequently they should check the battery/
alternator,they have the equipment so use your warranty time.

#7 ·
Electrical Problems

I have had problems. Originally with a pinging noise. Also the tire pressure read 0 PSI then went back to 32ps after a couple of blocks. My Oil light came on. I stopped and checked my oil it was fine. I got back in my car started the car and the oil light did not come back on. I was planning on reporting the 2 incidences the next time I went in for an oil change.

2 days ago my wife was pulling out of a parking lot and hit the accelerator and nothing happened. The car was running but the rpms did not go up. A car was Cumming up the road behind her and layed on the horn. She started to pull over and the accelerator started to respond again.

I let the dealer know about my sensor problems and the accelerator problem. They have hooked it up to their computer and it shows no errors. They did and update to the controller... just because it was available and checked some sensors. They have no idea what caused the problem and they are ready to hand me back the keys.

I am trying to get them to change the main controller. It is common to all of the 3 sensors. The dealership would like to roll the dice with my life and send me back on the road

After battling with the service manager he said he would look in to the problem further since the first 2 sensor problems were not documented when I reported them.

With all these random sensor failures, I’m afraid to drive this car. What’s next to fail my brakes?

#8 ·
Well it seems I got the same treatment as you. They did a flash update that was available. The service manager had no idea what the flash was designed to fix. They have no idea what would have caused my problem. But their precious computer did not pick up any error codes from my car so they aren't going to do anything about it. Let's hope the next time the car cuts out that everyone around my wife is alert and has good brakes.

Gotta love this 5 star service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.