Do you regret buying the 6.7 cummins?

#2 ·
no. i love mine

#3 ·
And I love mine, too.

#5 ·
Another 6.7L fan.............

#6 ·
So far, it appears that all of the people that love their 6.7's have done all or some of the deletes. I am not able to do that due to emissions and fear for my warranty being voided, so I still like my truck but would much rather have my 5.9 back.

#7 ·
6.7 liter letdown

I have an 08 2500 slt 4x4 manual with front and rear replacements and 285 Terra Grapplers that looks nice, but has been a nightmare since the first week I had it. It was purchased in June 08 and has 42k on it. It has had the turbo replaced, egr valve replaced, 02 sensor replaced, dirt in fuel that was caused by "faulty vent tubes" but somehow still cost me $500. Last week the Engine Brake was stuck on, not during Idle, but while I was trying to get through the gears...I am not kidding. It never threw a code, and stopped once I shut it down and restarted. I took it in today because on the way to work, when pressure was applied to the brakes or the gas I could hear a rush of air around the firewall that sounded like a busted hose that would not quit. The service tech sat in my truck for 10 minutes and was baffled by the sound too. I don't know if this is even the right thread to post all of the bs that has gone wrong, but it looked like a good place to start. If ANY of you guys have any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I was so proud and excited about this truck after switching from 2 power strokes, but I never thought I would have had this much trouble with a truck that is all stock and is driven relatively easy with the Engine Brake on all the time just as the Dealership suggested. Again, sorry to sound like a "v" on the thread...I would appreciate any input.

:huh:

#8 ·
Remove the DPF, block the EGR and watch the turbo/O2 sensors/exhaust problems disappear.

I really have no idea about the air sound in the cab. But the truck isn't reliable because of the emission components. Plain and simple.

#9 ·
I appreciate the input! I have a few questions though. A) How the $%&^ do you guys afford the maintenance/warranty issues once they come up if you have all of these mods that will void the warranty. I can't decide if purchasing the 60mo 100K extended warranty is going to turn out to be a blessing or a curse for me and this truck. I am familiar with the dpf deletes and would love to have one, but I don't want to get bent over everytime I have an issue. How do you guys get around service dep't requirements as well as the epa bs they threaten us with? Yeah, I'm a newb...

#10 ·
Well, here's the thing. Any LOGICAL dealer will not refuse to fix a broken window motor because you have a DPF delete. Or radio. Or malfunctioning headlight. It is worth to ask from the dealer you may purchase from about this.

As for the powertrain warranty - it's done when you mod it. That includes the motor, transmission, transfer case, etc.

While Cummins builds a solid motor, they can still be lemons. Here's what I'd suggest to help avoid modding a motor that turns out to have a major issue. Leave it stock for 20,000-30,000 miles. Simply unplug the EGR. That does not void your warranty, but helps you avoid much of the emission issues. That will give the motor time to break in, seal properly, etc. And, it will give you a good 1-3 years of use to see if any inherent issues are there.

Once you feel confident the motor is good to go, do the deletes and tuner.

Either way you look at it, you'll need to upgrade the automatic or manual transmission - so the powertrain warranty is worthless anyway.

IMO, warranties are nothing more than sales ploys. In general, most of the problems you'll experience are within the first 12,000 miles. After that, it gives people 'peace of mind' to get in debt for 5-7 years.

#11 ·
I waited 2K to unplug my EGR. Then I just ran with the EB on all the time and didn't baby it. At a little over 60K I traded it in on a new one without ever having to go back to the dealer for anything other than oil changes :D

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input! Got the goat back from dealership and it was a ruptured power steering hose (it never leaked so I'm guessing the fluid still stayed in the hose but it was the liner that busted)...at first they thought it was my brake booster, glad it wasn't! Not sure how that related to the noise when the pressure was on the pedals but oh well. I have been looking at some egr delete kits, but can you just physically unplug the egr and that's it or am I missing something? I read on a couple of forums and saw lots of guys having trouble with the butterfly valves etc...Any pointers, links or pics? Thanks again!

Ram3500...the new dually is an incredible truck! My wife's gpa just got one and Dodge has definitely caught up with Ford and Chevy with that interior!

#13 ·
#15 ·
if you delete the egr or dpf you will need a programmer or you will always have a check engine light

#14 ·
I have just unplugged mine on my last two trucks.

#17 ·
I absolutely love my 08. We have several Super Duty work trucks with 6.0's and my 6.7 is by far a better truck. I have had no problems at all, and it gets run hard. I tried unplugging the egr, but it set off a code in mine. I'm going to be doing the deletes before spring, but I've had ZERO problems with my truck and it's got almost 60,000 on it.:rck:

#18 ·
Love mine 09, did the deletes as soon as I got it, had 50,000 km on it.

#19 ·
We have 2 6.7's and both are 2007.5's.
The first one was delete at 22k by the original owner and at 130k it still runs like a top and is ready to be moved on to a new owner and has been listed for sale a few places.The second one was just bought by myself to drive back and forth to work at 34k and it was heavily modded at 18k by the original owner(Aftermarket turbo,pump,injectors,cam,internals and a Mega68re).The truck is tuned with EFI Live and runs Millikan Trans Tuning and is a missle on the street.

You asked how anyone can afford the added costs by voiding Our warranties.We all learned back in the 90's on the TDR that doing anything to the truck that enhanced the power voided Our warranties so there was a phrase coined back then..."I am my own warranty Station!".Many of Us live by that yet today and do not care about issues that pop up,we just find a better fix for them and move on to the next mousetrap.Many may not like this but,if you can not afford the costs associated with modding,then it needs to remain stock and you deal with the dealer headaches.I chose to not live on pain meds due to ignorant dealerships and do the work myself,for that I am rewarded with trucks that perform flawlessly and keep a smile on my face........Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.