DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crank position sensor

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chizzle1 
#1 ·
I know this isn't a Jeep forum, but these engines are so similar that I think the right answer will apply.

OK, I'm at my wit's end with this damn '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I sold to my brother. We finally traced the no-start problem to a bad CKS and replaced it. Got the truck running and it idles fine, but now it has an intermittent misfire at RPM that is getting worse. Yesterday, it threw a code. Put the reader on and it says the code is "intermittent signal from CKS or CPS." Since we had a known good CPS laying around we swapped it out. Still runs like crap. Put in a new cap and rotor just for grins and giggles. No improvement.

My understanding of the CPS and CKS is they either work or they don't, no in between. Is it possible we got a defective CKS that would allow the engine to start, but be misreading the reluctor ring and causing a misfire or intermittent signal that results in poor performance? This vehicle was running perfect before this all started and it got a new cat and 02 sensors 2 years ago (less than 8k miles since then). It isn't throwing any codes other than the one previously mentioned. We did not reset the PCM, although it was disconnected for a day while we were troubleshooting things. Would resetting it into adaptive mode help since we've replaced some sensors? HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
im not doubting your skill but i would recheck the cks mounting and wires im not sure who it was but someone on here replaced their cap and rotor and broke the mount for theirs causing issues also did the dist get moved at all as this will also cause issues

#3 ·
As far as the distributor and CMS, I did the work, so I know it is done right. The CKS was replaced by my brother, who is nowhere near the mechanic I am. In fact, he forgot to put the metal wire shield back on with it. It is not a functional part, but calls into question his ability. I just need to know if there's any way the CKS can work intermittently. Eveything I know says it can't, but the trouble code specifically said "intermittent signal" in its description. It looks nearly impossible to install it improperly considering how it mounts, so I'm guessing he may have gotten a bad part. If I had an oscilliscope I could test it properly, but...

#4 ·
There was a member on here that had a similar problem and it turned out to be a damaged pin at the connector/plug-in that was causing poor connectivity.
Might be worth the trouble to check the connectors before replacing the parts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.