DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trans stuck in 4th

13K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Dclm293 
#1 ·
2013 ram 3500hd is stuck in 4th gear while in drive. Reverse works. There is a shift solenoid A and a tcm low voltage code. There is a couple "u" codes. I can't remember what other codes was stored in it. It's a work Truck that I got thrown in the middle of it when the mechanic left. So I had to finish swapping the engine out of it.. where do I start at to fix the trans issue? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
So park, reserve, and neutral all work as they should? But when you put it into drive it automatically goes into 4th gear?

#3 ·
Yes park, reverse, and neutral all works fine. When I put it in drive. It automatically goes into 4th gear and the (+-) lights up. Which is limp mode. My boss said that the trans was working fine before the engine got swapped. Only thing that came out of the donor truck was the cummins and the engine harness. The donor truck needed a new transmission. And this truck had a bad motor.. this engine has the egr delete and I'm not sure if the truck has the def delete or not.

#4 ·
So it has a swapped engine in it or transmission?

Either way is the swapped engine/trans out of the same year truck, etc.?

#6 ·
Hmmm I dont know much about those transmissions but sounds like might be a electronic issue. Could also try posting on cumminsfourm.com for more transmission experts

#8 ·
Has it ever worked properly since installing the engine or as soon as you installed the engine the trans was acting up?

#9 ·
As far as I know the trans worked properly before the engine swapped. It hasnt since the engine swap. But the previous guy that worked on it swapped parts from both trucks to get the truck (the truck that the engine came out of) out of limp mode. The truck I'm working on had a bad cummins but good trans. The other truck had a good cummins but trans stuck in limp mode. I got hired on after the engine swapped got done so I don't know what sensors off the trans got swapped.

#10 ·
True it could just be a code that needs to be unlocked/erased to work fine. It doesn't sound like any hard parts on the transmission

#11 ·
I've tried to delete the codes on the truck and immediately 12 codes come back. Codes are
P2495 (set twice)
U010E (set twice)
P2228 barometric pressure circuit low
P1193 IAT circuit high
P0087 fuel rail pressure too low
P0562 system voltage low
P0750 Shift solenoid A
P0882 tcm power input signal low
P0102 air flow circuit low input
U0001

I was digging through the truck without the engine today and found out its a 2014 model, made in 8-2013. The other is a 2013 model made in 5-2013. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. But I wouldn't think it would.

#12 ·
I took the race me tune out of the truck and the codes I have now are
P2495
P0750 shift solenoid A
U029D lost communication with nox sensor A
P040D egr code
P0405 egr code
P0882 tcm power input signal low

I know the egr stuff is off the engine and I'm guessing the Def stuff is also. Right after the reprogram I started to get abs light flashing and also another message. The transmission indicator was bouncing around. Switch from drive to neutral and it reads reverse. Could hear clicking inside the steering column. It makes me think that there is a connection issue somewhere like a loose ground. Or maybe the fuse box is failing? The radio stayed on with key off doors shut for a minute. Which I thought it should of stayed on for 10 minutes? Sitting in the cab typing this up. The radio and dash message center keeps lighting up randomly. But the lights for the speedo tach and gear indicator is staying light. Even after I open the door and shut it. I'm going to triple check all the grounds.

#13 ·
A couple of thoughts, the trans calibration is combined in the pcm with the engine calibration. I don't know how much RaceMe changes the transmission calibration. Is the pcm the one that goes with the truck or the one that goes with the engine? Could there be a conflict if the VINs are mismatched?
Most of the codes in your last post are for the missing emission components, so if the tune is reloaded, a lot of them should go away. The RaceMe platform is very sensitive to system voltage when programming, so make sure the batteries are fully charged or put the truck on a charger when loading the tune. Also, check the fuses on each battery, a few guys have had them go & chased ghosts for a while.
One other thing that'll cause wierd problems, the plug on the inside of the truck, left drivers side. Real close to the floor where you might rest your left foot. That plug can come apart, even a little, and give some strange problems. Although, I've never heard of it throwing trans codes.

Good luck,
Jeff.

#15 ·
The ecm that is currently in the truck is for the truck. Vin matches up. And the one that came out of the other truck with the engine, it won't even crank over. So the computer is seeing the vin difference and not letting it run. I ended up washing the underneither of the truck off from the mud and pulled it back in the shop and it acted normal for a few seconds. It didn't go into limp mode right away.
Jeff are you talking about the connector that's underneath the inner wheel well kinda right at the bottom of the drivers door?

#16 ·
Connector is inside the truck, to left side of the drivers footwell. On most, maybe all, it's white. I only mention it because of the odd behavior of the dash & the clicking.

Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.