DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystery Plugs

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  dmcelhannon 
#1 · (Edited)
So tonight I went plug hunting, mainly because I am still having the airbag chime and light issue.

Two questions:
Anyone know what these are for/go to?
When did the rams first have floor lighting?

This one is mounted downward between the hood release and the center dash (hvac/radio) area. If I pull teh cap off it reveals a plug with roughly 20 pins.. but it's covered with a cap, nothing plugged into it. The second one is mounted above the parking brake pedal assembly.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
It's not that easy because of the differences in-between the models and equipment. If your truck is a Quad-Cab, you have a plug behind the dash near the HVAC controls but it's not used. The plug is part of the airbag cutoff switch wiring harness but it is only used on the single cab trucks. There may be a second connector that's used for the ash tray light but again, your truck may not have the option. Some have found an unused red female plug behind the driver's side bumper mounting point and that's for fog lights. If you look hard enough, you can find unused plugs all over the truck and it's because your truck may not have all the options that the wiring harness supports.

:nerd

#8 ·
Actually it is that easy. Yes all car manufacturers reused wire loom from other models because it either saved time or was cheaper overall to not swap out parts. However I'd bet you a dollar at least one other person on this site with a 3rd gen has the green plug mounted to the e-brake that's used for something. So yeah it's an action that takes less than a minute, but can be worth millions to someone else. You don't know the differences until you look, and apparently looking is the hard part here.

I have the exact same model Ram that you do.... of course that would have been helpful info to have too. So at least partially I am the jerk who didn't even tell you guys what truck the pics came from.

2002 SLT CC 4x4 5.9l

#9 ·
No, you have a 2Gen Ram and mine is a 3Gen Ram.... Apples and Oranges. Which means all the plugs that I was describing in my earlier post will not be there.

#12 ·
It was a combination of 3 hours sleep and what I perceived from you as being a snarky attitude to be honest. I saw your sig and maybe incorrectly assumed that you had a 3rd gen 2002 model. You were on teh verge are arguing with me over was generation my truck is. Don't you think I'd know or do you field a lot of questions from idiots?
Honestly if I read my post and had a 3rd gen (regardless of CC, SC, etc) I'd go look under the dash. All it takes is a bend at the waist and maybe 2 minutes of time, so really I assumed that'd be easy enough for anyone.

I did not include my trucks info in the OP, but did in the follow-up.. plus with the pictures and descriptions what other info could someone provide? Really though, what made you think I have a 2nd gen if I 'made no indication of what I'm driving'?

FWIW sorry for blowing up.

#14 ·
Sorry I haven't been on... I've been sick and still feel like something the horse dropped on the trail.

When you said the truck was an '02 with a 5.9L Magnum, I pictured the last of the 2Gen trucks. That was my brain-fart. As for fielding a lot of questions from idiots, well, that's not really fair because today's kids just have not been taught anything that can help them fix or work on anything. They just trash it and buy a new one. Now the dollar doesn't go as far as it once did and folks are trying to work and fix stuff they haven't clue how it works or even what makes it work. Well, some know how to change the batteries and bang it to try and make it work. After all, that's how the fix it in the movies, right?

My truck is a 3Gen 2002 Ram but the truck would not be any help when looking and trying to compare the wiring. The truck has a Clifford Security System with the AutoStart and AutoWindows modules. This system ties into just about every part and every system on the truck. When I stopped by the shop on the second day of the install, the truck had the hood and seats removed, and all the doors were open. It looked like my truck had been on a weekend bender, passed-out, and then upchucked it's guts everywhere! A few years later when the Dodge dealer in El Paso, the dealer that sold the truck to me replaced the dash under warrant, they said they didn't want to work on my Ram ever again. They would do maintenance but that was it. They had to bring in someone from shop that did the Clifford install to help with the dash replacement. I've had to learn as much as I can because Clifford and their dealers are no longer around.

#15 ·
Well unless the Clifford folks removed plugs then your truck could hold some advice yet. So your truck and mine are identical (well except for teh cliff alterations). The plug I found that has the cap on it has something to do with overall bus communications. If I remove teh cap and start teh engine the odometer displays 'bus comms' so I know it;s important. I just can't figure out why such an interruption in truck communications would be so easily accessible.

The two-pin blue one is still a mystery. I cant find my tiny multi-alligator clips to try to determine voltages yet. And I def agree with you on the kid aspect. I try to teach mine all I know but situations that can keep their attention are few and far between.

I also have some sort of , what I believe is, ignition interruption/anti-theft system on this truck. It's like about a 1.5inch section of ISA card slot that when removed flashes a red led. I have not troublshot much yet but it's on my list.

#16 ·
I took my cell phone and took and picture and maybe I have your answer.... maybe

The first green plug is most likely where the Adjustable Pedal Switch plugs into the wiring harness. There two pages from the service manual but it's not real clear that's it. It does fit the picture, so maybe.

The second looks like the OBD2 port next to the Hood Release and that plug has 16-pins.

Attachments

#17 ·
Wow thats alot of mess under there. Couldnt find my way thru that with a map and a guide dog. And it looks like lower dash plastic to teh right of your hood release lever, so you do not have the plug on that side (bus coms). Thanks for this, maybe someone else will follow suit.

#18 ·
Well it was two in morning ... :1poke:

I didn't get a change to get back out there today but I will try again tomorrow.

:D

#20 ·
Tried to finish the Christmas lights and decoration then the cold weather turned colder and it started raining... sorry, I didn't get back inside the truck.

:frown

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.