DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Help On Rear End Axle ?'s

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jasonb61 
#1 ·
:dunno: About a month ago my drive line broke off and screwed up my rear yoke. I took my baby down to a highly recommended shop to have it worked on because I didnt't have a place to do the work myself (I didnt't feel comfortable doing neither). After replacing the drive line and yoke ($390.00 later) everything seemed to be running awesome. I could tell a big difference in the performance area with the reaction time from getting on the gas. About two days ago I hear this metal grinding sound when I made a left hand turn. At first I thought it was some crap sliding around in the trunk, so I removed everything out of the trunk. I believe I heard the same sound when making a right hand turn, but I'm not 110% positive on that.

Today (making a left hand turn) the sound was present and this time even louder! :VHOT:Needless to say I was pissed off because I don't know what the hell is going on. I parked my car at my work and got out to look at my rear end. I put my foot against the sidewall of the rear tire and began pushing it! The harder I began to push the tire I started to hear this metal-to-metal slamming sound. I was able to produce the same sound on both side of the car. I had a friend look underneath the car when I did it again for a second time..., he said the axle was slamming against the rear brake drum.

Here are the questions that I have and any additional info is greatly appreciated!

1. What is causing this to happen?

2. Is my rear end totally shot? Or is it a minor fix?

3. Should I be worried about driving the vehicle around for the next couple of days?

4. Will my axle disassemble when I'm making a turn; causing massive damage to the car?

I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual in the world but when I don't something I ask everyone. This helps me understand and grow with knowledge.

:bawl: Okay all you mechanical wizards out there..., I really, really, really, need help on this crappy situation!!!!:bawl:

Thank you to everyone for your help in advance!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not sure

:dunno: I don't know at this point in time. I bought the car from another Military member and I'm trying to get in contact with him.

How much would it cost to get fixed if it is the Trac-Loc?

If I don't have Trac-Loc then what else could be wrong with it?

Thanks

#4 ·
There is normal side play in a differential, you didn't specify what your was.
The growling could be from a lack of friction modifier for the sure-grip unit in the rear diff lube.

#6 ·
what rearend do you have? If it was just rebuilt, bring it back to where you had it done at. Sounds like they didn't do something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.