DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake light issues... help!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dizzyD 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Dodge Durango slt 4.7.
The problem I'm having started a few years ago, I'm blaming a bear.. anyways.
My brake lights havent worked in a long time, except for the center back window light, it works fine. Ive replaced bulbs and fuses. The tricky part is, if I hook up a trailer all the lights work great.
Seeings how I dont want to pull a trailer everywhere I go, does anyone have thoughts on why my brakes only work when I'm hooked up?
The bear blaming... camping one year I had a bear come visit, as he was bumping my Durango (used as my tent, Im safe), he climbed into the back of my friends truck and dumped out the ice chest full of beer (heres the sign to stop drinking), then proceeded towards the tents. I hit panic button thinking the noise and lights would scare him off. Nope. So I slammed on the horn, bear looked at me like is was nuts and still didnt leave... BUT... Entire Durango went out, no power, no lights, wont start, nothing except the dinger saying my keys are in ignition wouldnt stop beeping, I was holding my keys. We disconnected battery, everything went back to normal except my brake lights. See its the bears fault. He did leave a little while later but his mamma had to come get him.

#4 ·
light blub sockets.
clean out the tabs where the socket makes contact and bend the tab in a bit. Do it on both.
this is a known issue. Or the bear took them.

#5 ·
If trailer plug makes brakes work, something in the plug may have separated? Are you using the 4 flat plug or the large 6-7 pin round? The 4 flat can be simple as I've seen the Plug in sensor style wire check for like $10.00 that stays plugged in and may keep your lights working until you get an electrical guy to fix existing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.