DodgeTalk Forum banner

Trade up for ecodiesel?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Bowjack 
#1 ·
Wondering what the thoughts are on the new diesel? I have a 2012 4.7l and tow a 25ft 7000lbs travel trailer. The '12 does well on the freeway and average about 11 mpg. The main reason I'm looking is we travel through the mountian often and pull about 5000' at 6 or 7%, the '12 really bogs down but does make it. Any thoughts appreciated. Should I look at trading up for the eco?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If you are interested in the 3D you will find it a big upgrade to your 4.7.

It is not as fast as a Hemi but it will pull true and steady in the right range. You probably will see a close to 50% gain in mileage.

Presently tunes are coming out for the 3D and GDE seems to be the favorite tune. Everyone who has it raves about the improvement in performance, response and the slight increase in mpg.

Check down below for the 109,000 mile review. He has about 150k miles now and is still going strong towing almost daily in the Wasatch mountains of Utah and Wyoming.

Another individual delivers Airstream trailers around the country and is fast approaching 200k miles

#4 ·
eco will do 9000 lbs and if you add air bags and you will have a great match up

#6 ·
Tell her you are doing it for her...:grin

#7 ·
Also after doing a little more research, I truly would love the extra towing power but what is this I hear about over heating? That's a major concern for me as I live in Phoenix and usual towing up through the mountians to get out of the heat. There have been some days it has been in the upper 110s and I'm pulling the camper up a 7% grade to 6000 feet. The overheating would be a MAJOR issue. Has dodge found a fix yet?

#8 ·
Hey, where are the eco diesel owners here?

#9 ·
I wish we had more ecoD folks on the site. It seems Ram is finely working the first year bugs out and the truck is becoming a great half-ton diesel.

:imo

#12 · (Edited)
Now I know what became of the personality, and enthusiasm here. There are just a few of us left, and rest are just GENTLEMEN truck owners to steal a phrase from the new Toyota Tundra commercial. lol. This is the only fourum I have ever posted anything, and I am not a member of facebook, nor do I intend to be. Yeah, I cruz the internet looking for info like everyone else, but this forum use to feel like an oasis on the internet for guys / gals who loved to have fun talking about their trucks among other things. For those of you familiar with the old Neil Young's song "This Note's For You" know some things can't be bought or imitated.

#14 ·
Yeah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.