DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2500 4x4 front end

4K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  byrdawg13 
#1 ·
im fixin to put together a list of components i need, which ones i have stock that i can reuse and what will be needed to make this work.

I want to replace my track bar ends (aftermarket adjustable), and drag link ends with heim joints. I understand ill need a new drag link, i think....anyone have experience doing this? I like the heim joint option because to me.....it has a cool factor, but i know they are easy to rebuild, after the initial cost i believe they are cheaper to re build then replace. I know my drag link doesnt have replaceable ends....that sucks and i dont like that option.

#3 ·
no but i will now

#4 ·
very nice. anyone have experience w them

#5 ·
Only read about 'em, byrdawg. No personal experience or know anyone that has used those. And like you, I think they'd be well worth it! :D

From the sounds of it, I'd say using the Luke's for Tie-rod ends would be worth it too, if you haven't upgraded to '08 Steering yet?

#6 ·
no i havnt. how much is that. im getting horrible death wobble now, i can grab the tie rod with my hand and twist it up, let go and it will drop. Yup, i think its bad.

#7 ·
yea do the '08 steering. The t-style is much better than the inverted y. If i remember correctly you can get the entire tie rod assembly for under $400, but youll also need to change your pitman arm. Then get a good track bar and you should be good to go.

#8 ·
You may also need upper and lower ball joints, if you still have the OEM ones I'm sure they are shot, the dynatracs are the best bang for the buck.

Something to consider, if you get aftermarket swaybar end-links and a trackbar, get the best available, Carli, Thuren etc.. The lower and middle priced brands don't last very long at all.

#10 ·
Im not sure what you do for a living.....but im a single white male, 29 years old living off of and paying bills on a police officer salary. As much as i want the dynatrac ball joints, i just honestly cannot afford it. Shit, past 4 months ive been picking and choosing what bills i can pay.

#9 ·
ball joints were done about 7 months ago.

#13 ·
ive got a very nice adjustable track bar, i cant use that pittman arm as i have a 6" BDS Lift

#14 ·
Maybe you could get a 2008 or Newer Drop Pitman arm from BDS for that lift? Surely they make lift kits for those year trucks? And the tie-rod should be the same... So minus the Pitman in the Mopar Kit, and maybe even the stabilizer, local Dodge Dealership might be able to get you just the tie-rod w/ends? May save ya a little money and you'd have the T-Style steering instead of the Y-Style. With a Lift Kit!! ;)

#15 ·
what is this T style you speak of

benifits?

#16 · (Edited)
That's what the 08 Upgrade is. The Ram steering is a Y-style. Tierod from the steering box (pitman) goes to the passenger side knuckle. Then, the driverside tierod is linked from THAT rod to the driverside knuckle. When the rod ends at the knuckle OR at the joint where the link connects to each other wears, you can have driver & passenger side wheels "move or wiggle" at different times. (Make sense?)

So the T-style eliminates the seperate "movement/wiggle" when the tie rod ends wear. The T-style makes the front end (i.e. Both Knuckles) link together, THEN the tie rod from the Pitman is linked to THAT rod... forms a T connection instead of a Y connect. (Still there?) ;)

You basically don't have 2 seperate tie rods with the upgrade. Both sides are linked, then the steering pulls/pushes 1 rod, instead of passenger side only. Think of it as "Master & Slave" if you will.

T-style tierod (P=Passenger tire D=Driverside tire)

_______ __(pitman)
______ /
_____ /
(P)__/__________(D)

Y-style tierod

______ __(pitman)
_____ /
____ /
___ /
(P)/-------------(D)

#18 ·
t style steering connects both wheels together. y style does not. if you go under your truck you will see that your pitman arm connects to your passenger side wheel.

#19 ·
yeah i see that, the drag link from pittman arm goes to passenger side wheel......then the drivers side wheel its attached to drag link. really shitty. Im thinking about making what i have work for the time being and getting the thuren steering set up......drag link to passenger side wheel.....tie rod connecting both wheels and everything is heim. that way i can rebuild if needed.

#20 ·
Never saw that set-up, byrdawg...? Theuren? Heard that name, but I guess I'd have to look into it.

As for the '08 Upgrade, I have yet to install mine, so I can't say whether it's an improvement or not? From the various Net Jabber about it, it's well worth the money, AND Chrysler will replace a steering setup (on a truck with warranty) with those part numbers I listed, if an owner was having steering issues. They allow dealers to do the upgrade as part of a TSB, as opposed to a recall. (but that's a WHOLE other deal!) I think if they (Chrysler) knows their steering setup is RTarded, they should be responsible for ALL trucks upgraded. Even at a discounted price? Warranty or not...

#21 ·
yeah the drag link goes from the pittman arm to the passenger side knuckle and mounts on the top of the tab, then tie rod from pass side wheel to drivers side wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.