DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Filter ??????????

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  TheGearman 
#1 ·
IN my service manuel it says that dodge recomends using thier factory filter(obviously) but it also says that some aftermarket filter's medium (fiber) may deteriorate and clog the piston oil squirters. I needed to change my oil really bad and used a fram. I was just wanting to get some input on this and see if there has been any issues with fram filters because i knkow thier not the best. I will be using a factory filter next change though!

#4 ·
Wix makes great filters, they are tons better then any fram. And they're cheaper.

#5 ·
cost a little more but i use k&n

#6 ·
below are various filter part numbers and data,
saved from old posts:
-------

Wix Oil Filter #'s
1) Long-51515
2) Short-51068
3) Extra Short-51085
4) Extra Long-51773

===============

Long Filters

Phram: Ph8A
Mobil One: M1-301
Bosch: 3500

Short Filters

Phram: Ph16
Mobil One M1-204
Bosch: 3402

================

The NAPA # for the short SB oil filter is 1085. I hope this helps you.
If you have room, the wix long truck style filter part number is 1515
=========================

Filter cross-reference : MOTORCRAFT FL1A

Part : LF3313
Manufacturer : FLEETGUARD
Part Type : Lube, Full-Flow Spin-On
Crosses : Motorcraft FL1A
ADBV : Yes
BPV Setting : 69kPa (10.01PSI)
Overall Height : 137.16mm (5.4in)
Largest OD : 96.01mm (3.78in)
Thread Size : 3/4-16 UNF-2B
---------------------------------------

Fleetguard/Nelson Part Information

Fleetguard part information for AF4965 is listed below.

Part : AF4965
Manufacturer : FLEETGUARD
Part Type : Air, Panel

Length : 342.9mm (13.5in)
Height : 39.88mm (1.57in)
Width : 168.15mm (6.62in)
==================

The WIX 51773 and the NAPA 1773 (made by WIX/DANA) is the same base diameter
and thread as the PH43 and the PH8, but is longer and holds 1 1/2 quarts of
oil. It will "mount" in all Chrysler and Ford applications, the problem
comes in with the canister length - often too long and hits one thing or
another.

The WIX 51773 fits (and will install in) all small block Dodge
trucks before 1994 and some post 1994 trucks. It will also "fit" big blocks
as long as the transmission cooler lines and radiator shroud can clear, but
it is hit or miss, you have to check your personal application. In the
application catalogs the WIX 51773 is listed for 'heavy duty Ford trucks.'

I took a canister measurement of the WIX 51773 and compared them to other
Mopar filters below....
Mopar "shorty" filter # 5281090 is approximately 3 7/8" long, holds 1/2
quart Mopar "long" filter # J8990499 is approximately 5 1/4" long, holds 1
quart WIX 51773 (or NAPA 1773) is approximately 7 1/8" long, holds 1 1/2
quarts. All three of the above filters have the same base diameter and
thread.
================

If the V-6 can use the same filter as the V-8s and V-10,
a Dana/Wix 51515
(or NAPA 1515)
or a Purolator 30001 fits well.
-------------------------------------
Yall looking for the long filter to replace the one mopar doesn't offer?????
The long replacement #for fram is PH7226.
I use it & it is supposedly on national backorder as per the fella who sold me
3, gave me one filter & I went to pick the other two up at the warehouse &
they said NO CAN DO. So the local auto parts owes me two filters.

As per www.carparts.com Here are two other part #'s for what I think are the
replacement for the long filters,

Hastings AF387
Wix 46298

------------------
There are two filters that are larger than stock,
that have been used. I use the medium sized one,
the large one was to big for my application.
99 CC V8 5sp 2wd

Part #'s for the medium filter are
WIX 51068
Purolator PL20081 (pure1)
Fram PH43
Motorcraft FL300
NAPA 1068
AC PF20
Big A? 92068
Carquest 85068
----------------------

For the large 1qt filters, as posted by the resident experts;
Fram PH8A - Boog
Purolator L30001 - Bob Tom
Mobil 1 M1-301 - Gary S

-----------------
i increased my filter capacity another way:
i have a 94 RAM 1500 360, AT 4x4.
i buy Napa Gold part # 1452.
its almost twice as long as the standard replacement filter, holds almost 3/4
of a quart of oil.
for an application, ask for a filter for a 1995 Ram 3500 V-10.
Heavy-duty if they ask.
i tried different brands, and can't find anyone else that offers a filter that
is bigger than the v-8's for the V-10's.

#7 ·
I use fram, just make sure it has the antidrainback valve

#8 ·
Used to use Fram but after reading about CTD "alleged" engine failures directly attributed to a Fram filter with Fram paying for a new engine would not use them myself anymore. Trying a Mobil1 filter this cycle but thats only because I switched to Mobil1 oil and will go back to Mopar or Wix next change. Those Mobil filters are pricey.
Welcome duner686 this is the very best Dodge site I've found and just about anything you want to know can be found here.
Two warnings.
It can be a bit addictive.
It can empty your wallet/bank account with all the modifications/additions you end up making.

#11 ·
This is from a in depth test of a huge number of filters.

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Fram
Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. These filters are manufactured by Allied Signal, Inc. Please do not buy these filters. By boycotting it, we may be able to cause some change. I have personally had one if these filters fail and actually cause engine damage due to bits of paper and glue floating around in the engine.

For some inside dirt on Fram filters, see this email from an Allied Signal production engineer.

Fram Extra Guard

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time, but they often leak anyway. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow, and is made of thin material.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap-looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a “2Y”. There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of “button” in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.

Fram Tough Guard TG8A

Even with all the problems of the other Fram filters, this one is not too bad. Aside from the filter cartridge, it is a very good design. Too bad Fram can’t get passed the cardboard end caps.

It has an improved filter element with more surface area (248 sqin), a heavy silicone anti-drainback valve with a good sealing surface, the same plastic pressure relief valve but with an integral screen to keep out large particles, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The only real drawback to this filter is that it is capped on each end with cardboard instead of metal.

The telltale signs for a Fram Tough Guard filter are: It has a better backplate that is usually shiny, with six larger holes for the inlet and 6 spot welds around the them. There are 6 large crimps holding the gasket in place. When you look through the inlet holes, you can see the orange anti-drainback valve. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of “button” in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.

Fram Double Guard DG8A

This is a frustrating filter. Please do not buy it. It is one of the most expensive filters you can buy and it is junk. Inside is a basic Fram Extra Guard (PH8A) filter element that has larger diameter

holes at the end and has been pre-oiled. You can see this in the picture above (far left). I assume this is to hold the Teflon particles in the filter element before the unit is installed. Don’t put Teflon in your engine. It does not belong there! DuPont does not recommend using their Teflon product in internal combustion engines.

Although it has the worst filter element possible (193 sqin), it does have a clever spring-loaded nitrile rubber anti-drainback valve and bypass valve combination. Too bad the rest of the filter is worthless. Please don’t buy this filter!

The telltale signs for a Fram Tough Guard filter are: It has a better backplate that is usually shiny, with six larger holes for the inlet and 6 spot welds around the them. The backplate should be

stamped with a “1K”. There are 6 large crimps holding the gasket in place. The anti-drainback valve diaphram behind the inlet holes is black. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top

of the filter, you will not see the “button” in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it’s made of metal from there).

Mobil 1

M1-301

Like the Champion, this filter is made by Champion Industries. However, it uses a unique end plate and a thicker can that make it the strongest filter available for wide-distribution retail sale. It also does not use the fragile paper media of the Champion filter. I’m happy to say that this filter is NOT a fake. It is definitely a unique design.

It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and is much stronger than the fragile, Champion paper media. It is rated just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high-pressure spikes during start-up. Given the choice between the Purolator Pure One and the Mobil 1 filters, I would choose the Mobil 1 because of the restriction concerns of the Pure One and that pesky assembly string. However, as with all Mobil 1 products, expect to pay 2 - 3 times as much for this filter.

I have read "somewhere" about a CTD failure that Fram paid for just haven't had time to find it yet.

#12 ·
Ive always used the Fram TG16 since the first oil change in my truck. However, that last post is really pulling at my brain. Guess Ill have to do some research and find a better filter. I didnt buy the Fram filters because of cost, it was just brand loyalty. Grew up around them so of course monkey see, monkey do. Thanks for the wake up rtes!

#19 ·
What could you tell that was better about it. I run fram and might get that one if it is really good

#20 ·
hemi1569 said:
What could you tell that was better about it. I run fram and might get that one if it is really good
smoother reving, tad bit faster acceleration might be in the head. but you can definitely feel that the engine doesn't have problems getting oil flowing. the holes on the filter are much larger and the overall filter being taller holding much more oil. try it for 9 bucks you can't fail. if you don't like it go back to regular filter again :D

it's an awesome filter

#21 ·
Never heard of an oil filter giving more horsepower...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.