DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1996 rebuild

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  spun360 
#1 ·
Howdy all…..I have looked through a lot of posts but still need input…..I have a 1996 dodge 4x4 ext cab - short bed - 360…..I have about 10 grand to put into it….I don't want a car payment as retirement is fast approaching.
I am rebuilding it from scratch…new stainless fuel and brake lines..new synergy ball joints, fuel pump, u joints hubs etc.
My question is.. I am leaning towards a DOR steering upgrade and 2nd gen 3" lift as well as tranny rebuild….I am soliciting ideas on mods.
I bought it new and it has almost no rust except doors of course. mobil 1 synthetic in engine and difs with religious changes.
I am doing all the work, including complete brake overhaul from master out. Tranny will be farmed out.
All suggestions appreciated. It will be a daily driver…..but I over build everything so it will need to be a tank.

#2 ·
Being it's getting new ball joints, would do the frt axle joints too (many say Spicer only, unsure about the number: 760???); myself, would also do the frt axle seals at the same time ("outer" exclusion seals too if they're missing, but its easy for me too spend your money and time, but IMO worth every penny in the long run).

... Assuming lift is likely for bigger rubber, would consider "steering brace" (unless its included in DOR upgrade).

... At 19 years of age, would eyeball all the core/freeze plugs real good while the trans is out, orrrrrrrrr
... Unsure of simplest/best method, but while while t-case is out, check the chain for excess stretch (heard of sloppy chains wearing thru housing).

#3 ·
Yeah I ordered new timken (sp) bearing hubs too……like I said it's a complete rebuild…….but I'm a newby to this world…I mostly build cabinets and such….I ordered a DOR steering brace and 3" lift with HD track bar. Any other suggestions…looking at a viper tranny.

#6 · (Edited)
the steer gear box BRACE is a good idea. and i dont like the DOR steering upgrade. he has you drilling out all the taper stud fittings. and what if the guy disappears. your better staying with dodge and doing the 99 1ton steering upgrade! all the replacement parts are available for ever.
for a track bar: just switch over to the 3rd gen bar and get the kit. bullet proof!
transdepot in florida can send you out a fairly upgraded trans for half the coin of a viper trans.

#7 ·
DOR has a good track bar, but i think he is way over priced. and you could do just as good or better with a 3rd gen conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.