DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Safety Recall Notice on Feb 11,2015

13K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  FroggyMcNasty 
#1 ·
Got a Safety Recall Notice yesterday "P78 / NHTSA 14V-770 for the passenger side air bag it applies to -
2003-2005 Dodge Ram 1500-2500-3500 pickup, 2004-2005 Dodge Durango, 2005 Chrysler 300 / Dodge Charger / Dodge Magnum and 2005 Dodge Dakota.

Notification Code P78
It says to contact the dealership on or after Feb 23, 2015

#2 ·
Mine say's driver and/or passenger side airbag inflator. (P40 /NHTSA 14V-354) Guess they can't make up their mind. lol Have you gotten or heard of the pinion nut recall?

#3 ·
Wow...nothing for Ram-2006 and above...I'm shocked.

#5 ·
Mine says parts are not available and I must wait for a second notice. 2005 Daytona-one wheel peel, 4x4

#6 ·
Mine says p77 at top then at the bottom it includes also a p81. Airbags??

#7 ·
dodge.com

Just went to dodge.com and went to there recall list and typed in my vin number. It came up with drivers side air bag inflator and status says parts not available. Then the other recall was the pinion nut and also says parts not available. The passenger side air bag one did not come up. My pickup is an 05 1500 quad cab hemi.

#8 ·
With "parts not available" showing up it could tie in to waiting until Feb 23 on my notification to call it in. The variety of notifications is puzzling.

#9 ·
When I called my dealer they said they were going to replace both side's. Of course they didn't have the part's. Asked them about the pinion nut one, they didn't know anything about that one. Told them i'll wait on that one to arrive and do them both at the same time. Look's like it may take a little while for everybody to get on the same page.

#10 ·
#13 ·
This is what I got when I typed in my vin#. Look's like everybody will fall into the same category. Here is the description on each recall #.

SEARCH RESULTS

Year: 2005

Vehicle: DODGE RAM SLT 1500 QUAD CAB PICKUP
Questions

Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403
Results Last Updated: February 13, 2015
Safety Recalls (What is a Safety Recall? Learn More)
Chrysler Recall # NHTSA Recall # Recall Date Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk Repair Description Recall Status

P40 14V-354 June 20, 2014 THE DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE, DUE TO EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING NORMAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME. EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS, COULD RESULT IN AN INCREASED CHANCE OF OCCUPANT INJURY DURING CERTAIN CRASH CONDITIONS. THE DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR(S) WILL BE REPLACED. INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE AVAILABLE

P77 14V-796 December 11, 2014 THE REAR AXLE PINION NUT MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITHOUT AN ADHESIVE PATCH ON THE PINION NUT THREADS. THE LACK OF THIS ADHESIVE PATCH COULD ALLOW THE REAR AXLE PINION NUT TO LOOSEN AND/OR THE REAR DRIVESHAFT TO SEPARATE FROM THE REAR AXLE. A LOOSE PINION NUT COULD CAUSE THE REAR AXLE TO SEIZE AND A SEPARATED DRIVESHAFT COULD CAUSE A LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER. EITHER SITUATION COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING. THE REAR AXLE PINION NUT MUST BE CHECKED FOR LOOSENESS. REAR AXLES FOUND WITH A LOOSE PINION NUT AND/OR A SEIZED UP AXLE ASSEMBLY MUST BE RECONDITIONED. AXLES FOUND WITH A PINION NUT THAT HAS NOT LOOSENED WILL HAVE A PINION NUT RETAINER INSTALLED. INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE

P81 14V-817 December 23, 2014 THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE, DUE TO EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING NORMAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME. EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS, COULD RESULT IN AN INCREASED CHANCE OF OCCUPANT INJURY DURING CERTAIN CRASH CONDITIONS. THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WILL BE REPLACED. INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE

#14 ·
I got my notice in the mail on the 12th, at the top it has in large print the info about the pinion nut and it small print on the last line of the notice is has the info about the airbag.

Somewhere on the notice it said to wait for a second notice before contacting the dealer for an appointment, I guess that is give them time to get parts in stock.

#18 ·
No airbag recall on my rig but i do have an incomplete recall for the steering issue

#19 · (Edited)
Been checking mine, build date of 09/03 and it's counted as an 04 model. No outstanding recalls showing for my truck as yet.

#20 ·
Been checking mine, build date of 12/03 and it's counted as an 04 model. No outstanding recalls showing for my truck as yet.
Same here.

#21 ·
My 2004 is showing active recalls on P78 & P81 and just like others no parts are available. I wonder if they are going to do like Toyota and disable both bags while waiting on parts? My 01 XJ is showing nothing.

#22 ·
UPDATE: 03/11/15 I talked to someone at 1800-424-9153 and he was very helpful.
1. I received a recall notice P78 (Passenger air bag
2. He said an earlier one came out on the drivers side bag in January and that recall number is P81
3. He also said a few years back notice P40 came out for the drivers side.
4. I never got P81 or P40.
5. He said there are 3.3 million vehicles with drivers side air bag recalls!! Good luck getting that fixed before the world ends.
6. He called a dealer after I told him since the 2nd of March I have not heard from my dealer when I called it in. He set up an appointment for the passenger side fix.
7. P40 is a "temporary fix" according to the guy I talked to today.
8. If you don't get a good response from your dealer call the number I give here above. If that does not work the number to lodge a complaint with the FTC is 877-382-4357. Good luck.

#23 ·
Well, let me tell ya' what happened to me! I got my recall notice on the pinion nut about 3 weeks ago. It says parts are not available yet but I'll be notified when they do become available. My truck had other ideas. I just got off the highway, traveling at 75mph mind you and traveled about 5 miles when I came to a stop sign and it felt like the transmission slipping at first. I proceeded from the stop sign about a half a mile doing about 25mph and the rear end locked up! You guessed it, the pinion nut came loose. Fortunately it happened where it did and not on the highway, or I probably wouldn't be here typing this. The dealership ended up putting in a complete assembly, case, carrier, whole 9 yards. Chrysler is going to cover the tow bill as well and hopefully the car rental. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

#24 ·
Wow, that sucks big time!!!

Curious, how many miles did your truck have? The '05 I bought back in Sept only has 64,000 miles and I really would not want to see this happen with such low miles. I am tempted to take it my rear end shop and have them remove the pinion nut and add locktite to it and forget waiting for Chrysler.

#26 ·
I haven't been on the site for a long time (thankfully the truck is still running strong) but I too got the P77 recall notice with a little note on the bottom about P81. Never got any notice on the P81 prior.

(((Anyway, these recall threads need to be a sticky)))).

#27 ·
I got a notice in December for the airbag, and the pinion nut on my 05. It still is showing parts not available.

It's kind of annoying. "Hey, there is probably something wrong with your truck, if shit goes down, you might die, but hey we'll fix it... if we ever are able to find parts. Good luck staying alive!"
:thatfunny

#28 ·
I wonder if Dodge will honour this airbag recall in the UK. Seeing as though its a major safety issue??
Anyone know?
We do have Dodge dealers over here:dunno:

#29 ·
Is there a DodgeCares UK?

#30 ·
Dont know dmcelhannon. Ill have a looksee��

#31 ·
Hi LPGHemi and dmcelhannon,

It’s important to keep in mind that all recalls are VIN-specific.

While there is no official DodgeCares UK presence on this forum, we do have a UK Customer Care team. If you PM me your VIN, contact info, dealership info, and description of your concerns, I would be happy to forward it to my international colleagues for further handling.

#33 ·
PM sent and many many thanks for your help :smile

Al.

#32 ·
Well I plugged in my VIN and both recalls show up but I never received a notice
This unbelievable
Possible death causing failures and NO PARTS AVAILABLE
If that isn't a massive lawsuit waiting to happen

#36 ·
Hi uncbob,

I would like to look into why you wouldn’t have received a recall letter. Can you please PM me your VIN, contact info, and address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.