DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1984 D150 drive line rumble/rrrr sound

456 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  key99 
#1 ·
This truck sat most of its life hence the 58K KM on it. While my Bronco is getting its heart rebuilt I'd figure I'd start driving the D150. When I drove it a few years ago it had a fast rumble/rrrrr sound at about 80Kh/h. I looked at the drive train and the u joints where kinda nasty. Replaced them and it helped somewhat the rumble how starts at 100KM/h lol.

So another symptom I have which may or may not be related is when I put it into reverse from park I get a huge clunk sound on the driveshaft. I thought the u-joints would have fixed that since the front was warn right out but no go.

So I don't think it a wheel bearing as when I put it into 2nd the rumble/rrrr starts at 60KM/h instead of 100.

If I get the truck to 12-140 the rumble is not steady but pulsates lol for a nice massage.

Any suggesations?

#2 ·
Wow, only 58km she's a spring chicken! ... (bronc heart?, pm sent)

... Check both yokes, pinion bearings; and if it has a steady bearing check it and its rubber/isolator?, and slip joint (watch for loosness/slop and/or twisted male splines).
..Weak/soft leaf springs can allow "axle wrap" causing bad driveline angles at diff (more noticeable under hard throttle, or immediately after a shift especially in lower gears that deliver more torque (issue worse in 2nd was mentioned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.