DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to change fuel injectors 4.7

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Nickiboy 
#1 ·
OK guys I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 engine and i need to replace the fuel injectors .... Ive searched this forum for detailed instructions on doing this job but no luck ... one problem im having is the electrical connectors are very difficult to get off without breaking the red locking device on the connector and no way i can even reach the back ones on the driver side much less disconnect them ....... I was wondering if its possible to disconnect the fuel rail first with wire harness still connected and then i have better access to disconnect them........ HELP GUYS !!

#2 ·
sure you can disconnect as many as you can and then see if moving it around will get you better access.

I work on my engine with placing a knee pad on the front bumper so i can kneel on it and reach everywhere in the bay, i would do that as you really should not have a problem working on anything in these trucks way too much space not too.

I even sometimes when needed crawl underneath and climp in and stand up between the engine and radiator i have the room there because i have efan flexalite 183 installed so no huge fan shroud and power sucking clutch fan in the way.

#3 ·
Just be sure to relieve the pressure on the fuel system before you attempt to disconnect the fuel rail. You don't want fuel spraying all over everything and in your face. Open your gas cap, Pull the fuel pump relay and start your engine. It will fire off and run for a few seconds and die. Attempt to crank it a few more times and that should bleed the pressure off the fuel lines. Harbour Freight carries the tool to disconnect the fuel rail connector.

#4 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the response .......... I just finished changing all of the injectors ..... My son helped me , it was easier than i thought it would be ....... but now it didnt solve the problem im having with my truck, Its misfiring and running rich and cutting off when idling Ive also changed all of the ignition coils but its still running poorly.... Im thinking maybe i got a bad cat convertor....the only code that the pcm is showing is engine running rich...... any ideas guys?

#5 ·
you might need to try a compression check to see which cylinder(s) have lower compression. I had a misfire and die at idle and would not set a misfire code. Found no compression on #2 . my problem might not be related but worth a shot if you cant find anything else.

#6 ·
Problem solved

Thanks for the help guys ....... seems two of my rocker arms fell off due to bad valve lifters ........... had to remove passenger side valve pan cover to find the problem........changed out the lifters and snapped rocker arms back in place......... now shes running perfect!!! THANK YOU GUYS!!:smile

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.