DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Differential Leak

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  kvastlik 
#1 ·
So I have a 2000 Dakota 4.7l and I was just driving it on the expressway when I heard a loud noise from the rear and could smell something burning. Got out and saw smoke coming from the differential where the driveshaft connects to it, and it was dripping. I pulled the plug out and there was no lube/oil in it. I was about a hour away from home so I just stopped and picked up some 90w gear oil to make it home. Although, while driving it was making a weird noise(sort of like a high pitch winding or sort of like a vacuum).

Could the bearings possibly jacked up after all this? What's the best way of figuring out if I messed the hearings up as well? Also, is the correct term for that seal the rear driveshaft pinion seal?

#2 ·
Sounds like at the least will need a rear diff "pinion seal". ... Need to determine if pinion nut came loose (allowing yoke to be loose on pinion shaft), or if pinion bearings are loose/failing (nut still holding yoke tightly/properly to pinion shaft). ... Welcome to DT.

#4 ·
What did you find; are pinion brgs loose? or rough feeling? how is rear u-joint? ... Is the diff breather plugged? (if plugged will force oil thru seal/s)

#6 ·
Just got the pinion seal off, and found that the metal ring around the bearings is busted and some are missing. Assuming I am going to have to take the whole diff apart, unless there's an easier way to reach the pinion bearings?
Yikes! ... "Sounds" like outer race of frt pinion brg is destroyed and some rollers are missing; hope like heck ring/pinion did not swallow them or other debri!
..If so, your right, it's all coming apart.

#9 ·
IDK; after splines pulled out (and dropped) maybe long heavy axle jammed/wedged in the wheel brg;

..Would install nut on lowest/btm wheel stud, then use socket with long ext on nut, press down on extension a bit to align/center axle and pull on flange to remove.

..Or, if you can protect threads, could use small ID pipe.

... Either way, use tool to not allow other axle to drop when splines pull out (may damage wheel brg); will need such tool to realign axle when installing it. ... Hope this helps.

... To clarify about front pinion brg; was outer race damaged? or was roller brg assembly "cage" damaged and rollers missing?
... Diffs need precise setup (and tools); need manual or FSM or maybe find info/specs and rebuild procedure online; maybe youtube vid etc.

#10 ·
The outer race got completely jacked up (all bent and in zig-zag shape), and there are also a couple bearings(roller?) missing.

As of now, I am at a stand still due to having to adjust the preload, and I don't have the specific long tool or a welder handy to make one myself :(. I'm trying to look around for an alternative method, but may just have to suck it up and order one (this is the one I would most likely order http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6602-Differential-Bearing-Preload/dp/B000OCKIHE)

#11 ·
Ok so I got everything out and found out I need to buy a whole new pinion gear (awesome....). How many shims will I need to put on the new one, and do I put them on both the inner and outer or just the inner?

Take a gander at how jacked up this outer bearing got. the ring holding the bearings was all mangled and sticking out

Attachments

#12 ·
Rule of thumb is to count/add the thickness of the shims in it to get an idea of how many you will need to install the new gears. If you are not familiar with it i would look up some videos on youtube. The shims are used to get the correct contact pattern. Look around sometimes you can get a kit that has everything you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.