DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what is this ????

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  82 Xplorer 221 
#1 ·
look at pics ... making squirrel noises ...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Another great idea by the American auto industries to beat the air quality test, by pumping fresh air into the exhaust. The idea was to add fresh air in hopes it would dilute the amount of bad exhaust coming out of the engine. Guess what it still has the same amount coming out, but it made the EPA happy at the time.

Some people might tell you to take the belt off and not to worry about it.

Doc.

#3 ·
Air pump; 2nd pic might be diverter valve, unsure.

#7 ·
Bingo, we had a '73 Buick LeSabre that had two stage cat. The air pump had a hard line that pushed fresh air in-front of second half of the cat. When it failed, my Dad didn't want to replace it so he just removed the belt. Big mistake! He punched the car into the passing gear to puss a loaded truck and when he lifted his foot of the gas, the unburned fuel backfired. The force of the backfire was so great, it spit the muffler all the way down seam and opened a three inch gap. It would have been cheaper to replace the air pump but now he had to replace both.

:nerd

#8 · (Edited)
So where does one find a new air diverter valve?
Mine is broken and I've called the dealers in the area and they have not been able to locate one.
Are they available new still?

Anyone have a good used one they would like to sell?

I'm working on a 82 B350 with 360 engine - auto trans.

I'm new here, and to Dodges, so if there is an obvious answer I apologize.

Thank you!

Edit: I have been checking Ebay :)

#10 ·
It's called an air (smog) pump check valve. They are available for your vehicle today at

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Thank you. I checked out the air smog pump check valve and it doesn't appear to be the part I'm looking for.

The part I need is attached directly to the smog air pump and looks different from the check valve.

The part I need is labeled as the "air pump diverter valve" on the emissions diagram on my van.

Thank you.

Edit: I've checked and the valve does not come with the air pump when you buy a new one

#11 ·
Okay welcome to the world of Dodge parts made of unobtanium. You have to start thinking outside the box.

A 1988 B350 on RockAuto shows no diverter listing. However a 1988 Dodge D350 with the same engine shows a diverter available. The question here is how much did the air pump change from your 82 until one starts showing up in the listings.

Start comparing air pump listings for Dodge trucks and vans. Use the part numbers given to search for a diverter that fits a pump that also was used in 1982.

You might get lucky. I doubt you'll find one in a wrecking yard.

#13 ·
1986 D350 lists one of three air pumps the same as 1982 B350. It also shows air/diverter bypass valve with no differences listed for any of the three air pumps.

Think about it. Would Chrysler have that many different diverter valves? Odds are its the one you need. If not return it. It only needs to look like it's installed and working as long as the vehicle passes the sniffer test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.