DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

87 w150 street/dirt build!

18K views 202 replies 11 participants last post by  Ramslamtheman 
#1 ·
Hello guys, new here but been coming for about a month now. I picked up a 87 w150 long bed for 1000 bucks. Didnt really do much searching, just picked up the cheapest thing i found lol. Do not anything about these trucks, or any domestic for that matter, so ill be asking ALOT of questions lol, so starting off..

When people say gear numbers(which i think thats what theyre talking about) like 4.10 or 3.93, or whatever it is, is that the gear ratio or something?
Dana 44 and 60, what does the number difference?
Thats it for now. But anywho, im maining building this a decently quick truck, so itll probably get a full engine build or swap. Like a 360. I want to haul my atv whenever my bro and friends and i go riding, i can haul my own stuff. Also id like to pull a full car trailer(down the line) and when not doing that, i want to go light to maybeeeee moderate trail riding.. Like 1 time a month lol. So heres the pics so far

See less See more
#3 ·
Now you have a "Flip or fix" option.<grin>.

If you decide to fix it up, do you have the budget and a place to work on the truck. A lot of basic general information can be resolved with Google (i.e. "Dana 44 and Dana 60 difference") including well written articles, specs, and more specific web forums.

Good luck. Grady

#11 · (Edited)
Do not anything about these trucks, or any domestic for that matter,

When people say gear numbers(which i think thats what theyre talking about) like 4.10 or 3.93, or whatever it is, is that the gear ra

building this a decently quick truck, so itll probably get a full engine build or swap. Like a 360. I want to haul my atv whenever my bro and friends and i go riding, i can haul my own stuff. Also id like to pull a full car trailer(down the line)
Get/download etc FSM, or Chilton, Haynes etc. ... Search/browse here.

... Yup, gear ratios (the higher the number, the slower the speed).

... 44 and 60 are just 2 of Dana very popular and widely used diffs; difference is toughness/suitability for size/torque of vehicle; they're mostly denoted by larger ring gear DIA, and of course bigger/heavier housing etc too.

As said, BROWSE; many swap in carbed 318/360 Magnum engine (not really for novice, but doable if paying ATTN).
... Can see it's a 4 speed manual, 4wd, and may have locking hubs (if so, awesome).
... Need more info, what engine etc; there are balance and other issues to be aware of; for greater response, mention all truck info.

... Something to pay attn to: amp gauges can be problemsome in old rams, many do the "amp gauge bypass" to correct or avoid issues

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

#12 ·
ohh ok, so now when you say gear speed, what are you talking about?the final drive?

ok good to know, I thought the dana 40 and 60 was axle sizes lol, don't these trucks come with the dana 60 in the back, and dana 40 in the front? or are they both 40s? hows that set up?when you say ring gear, are you talking about the ring gear that rides the diff? or what?

as far as swaps and engine building go, I'm not too worried about it. its not my first rodeo, but I'm sure theyre some things that I will want to know down the line lol, ive been doing a lot of reading regarding swaps, and ill be doing even more!

I'm definitely going to read that article for sure, I didn't even hear anything about that lol. ill have more questions for you guys!

#16 ·
ohh ok, so now when you say gear speed, what are you talking about?the final drive?

ok good to know, I thought the dana 40 and 60 was axle sizes lol, don't these trucks come with the dana 60 in the back, and dana 40 in the front? or are they both 40s? hows that set up?when you say ring gear, are you talking about the ring gear that rides the diff? or what?

as far as swaps and engine building go, I'm not too worried

I'm definitely going to read that article for sure, I didn't even hear anything about that lol.
... Yup, final drive, "differential".

... Kinda sure 150 will have corp (Chrysler) 9.25 rear diff (9.25" ring gear dia); yup ring gear inside diff (ring and pinion, aka, gear set).
... Likely has Dana 44 frt diff (you will have to check what diffs it has).
.. Dana 60 is for 250 rear diff, and sometimes as heavy duty frt diff, anddddd

... For 360 swap, note: unlike 318, all 360 are externally balanced, and require flywheel to match.
... LA 360 and Magnum 360 flywheels are not the same (318 will not work for either) so keep your eyes open for em!

... Ya, read bypass article; it's just one of a million! searchhh

#13 ·
where is the fusebox at? I have no interior lights on the dash. no cluster, heater controls. I drove the truck, and I had no idea how fast I was going lol

I recorded a video of my sloppy steering. I'm recording the pitman arm and steering box. has a lot of gunk on there lol. ill try uploading the video..

#17 · (Edited)
... Fuse box might be a "flip down" contraption under steering column; "careful", kind of a crowded rats nest in there, don't get aggressive.
... For W? trucks, some install a steering brace (IIRC for W, brace is a "short arm", that bolts on).
... Ya, a few steering pics (and both? the coupler and the ragjoint on steering shaft).

when you mentioned manual lockers, how does that differ from auto hubs?
... Close up pic of hubs too, to see what it has.
... Also a pic of dr side frt axle tube (between diff and dr side wheel), to see if it has a CAD.

#19 ·
Good info, this is stuff i kinda had no idea about. So can i look at the front and rear axles, and itll tell me what axles i have? Yeah theres alot of small diys to make the truck better. You said the amp meter bypass.. I read the article, and what i got from it is was, the bulk connector has a spot that melts because of the wires, is that allvwhat the amp gauge issue really was? Then the ballast resister bypass, and something called headlight on relay diy, like damn!! Lol. I did lots of reading when it came to swaps, im aware of the internal vs external balanced cranks. Can you balance those cast cranks at a machine shop?

Ill have those pics up soon for ya

#21 ·
Pretty sure this is what you was looking for, the cad?
Hello guys, new here but been coming for about a month now. I picked up a 87 w150 long bed for 1000 bucks. Didnt really do much searching, just picked up the cheapest thing i found lol. Do not anything about these trucks, or any domestic for that matter, so ill be asking ALOT of questions lol, so starting off..

When people say gear numbers(which i think thats what theyre talking about) like 4.10 or 3.93, or whatever it is, is that the gear ratio or something?
Thats it for now. But anywho, im maining building this a decently quick truck, so itll probably get a full engine build or swap. Like a 360. I want to haul my atv whenever my bro and friends and i go riding, i can haul my own stuff. Also id like to pull a full car trailer(down the line) and when not doing that, i want to go light to maybeeeee moderate trail riding.. Like 1 time a month lol. So heres the pics so far

Heres cruddy looking steering box, i didnt get the cupler thing that the steering shaft sits in, but it looks the same.
and whats this plug for? Was inside the radio slot.

#22 ·
Coupler before steering box is a problemsome item; with engine off, it's easily checked for play (check its exposed seal too, the tire throws dirt/water at/into it).

... Inspect front leaf springs like a hawk!!; dr side are known to sag (bros 90 had dr side frt leaf break on 2 lane highway causing frt axle to move rearward loosing steering control, FREAKING SCARY, coulda easily been a goner, others too!; gaurdian angels for sure).

... Read amp bypass link much closer; IIRC the full current flow thru gauge, and high resistance caused by poor gauge connector design is the main root cause, or one/some of them.

#28 ·
If truck has amp gauge, then yes, applies to you. ... Still not paying attn, lol, "closely" reread link again (can be hard soaking up unfamiliar info, "closely" rereading helps). ... Excerpt below is from link

============================================================

The Dodge alternator/voltage regulator system had no provision to operate a warning light. And Dodge (trucks) stuck with the old antiquated “full load type” AMP gauge design, at least into the late 1980 models. As is typical of Dodge trucks that were used a lot, the AMP gauge in this ’76 Dodge was burned out. The plastic mounting area behind the dash is completely melted, and the lens and plastic trim is shriveled too.

============================================================

#30 · (Edited)
These old dinosaur trucks man lol.
Ya, but at one time the dinosaurs "roamed the earth" !! (dinos may have thought they ruled it too, lol). ... Good luck with the dino!
... Got an update on which hubs it has, or the steering slop?

#31 ·
i appreciate the oldness of these trucks though! And thanks! Im going to have an update today. Do i have to take the wheel off? I tried turning the small hub looking thing inaide the hub cap, and nothing lol.. Ill provide a pic. I dont have much tools to work on the truck, or money to fix anything i come across, but hopefully this job starts so thatll change.

#32 ·
i appreciate the oldness of these trucks though!

Do i have to take the wheel off?

tried turning the small hub looking thing inaide the hub cap
, and nothing lol.. Ill provide a pic.
... Ya, appreciate "oldness", oldness = simpler (far less intertwined/inbred electronics to go wrong).

... Nope, leave wheel/s on (for now).

... Thing inside hub cap sounds like manual locking hubs; also need to know if it has CAD on frt axle (on axle tube/housing between diff and dr frt wheel).

#33 ·

Is that a cover?!? Lol i didnt want to try prying it off and it all falls apart lol.

Is that what you are referring too?

And the worst rust spot ive seen on the truck.. Right on the shock mount? Can i buy another one of those? Are these good pics? Anything else you wanna see? And whats that plug for?

#34 ·
... Ya that's a cover (it does not have manual, or automatic, hubs; wheel and outer axle shaft are always engaged.

... 2nd pic is the CAD, it disengages an internal "intermediate" axle so frt diff does not turn when in 2wd.
...The round/flat thing is it's vacuum actuator, should have 2 vac lines ("appears" to only have 1). ... Awfull rusty, it might be toast and be bypassed, holding CAD shift collar in one position (usually engaged position to retain 4wd; but then frt diff and frt driveshaft are always turning even when t-case is in 2wd).
... Unsure of the yr of this CAD

http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/solid_axle_cad/

... No clue about shock mount. ... DK what "plug" you mean.

... Don't wanna burst the bubble of excitement, but would carefully inspect the dino EVERYWHERE as rust appears SEVERE; FRAME FRAME FRAME (water/salt enters holes in frame and it rusts from the inside too!!! (listen/look while lightly tapping with small hammer, anddd)
... BRAKE lines, fuel and vacuum lines, fuel tank straps, mounts/brackets, brake backing plates on rear diff, underside of box/cab, and cab mounts (mounts are critical, especially with manual clutch linkage).
... Inspect the whole rusted dino before deciding to spend a nickel on her, sorry; be honest when inspecting/evaluating what it will take in both buck$ and manpower to keep it running now, and in the future (the ole girl looks good from the top, but you need to be brutally honest when looking at everything, and underneath!!).
(being you got a nefarious sense of humor, lol, after inspection could write a book to raise restoration or repurchase cash; catchy title like "The Trouble With Dinos" just might sneak its way onto the best sellers list)
... It's hard to give up on a vehicle you've been driving/enjoying, and stuffing cash into; easier to cut the chord before getting attached, or in too deep (helpful to get a brutally honest 2nd opinion; it helps ease guilty conscience too, lol); sharp truck, certainly hope it works out for ya!

#35 ·
So since the hubs are always engaged, is that good or bad? 4wd works fine, and theres no issues with 2wd.... If the cad didnt work, would i know? I went through all of the different modes of the transfer case, like 4wd hi and low, and everything seems to work with no issues.. Could i jack up the truck and have the back wheels driving, and if its in 2wd, amd the front wheels spin, does that mean the cad is bad?

And i have inspected the truck, not fully, but as far as the frame rails go, and its not looking too bad, no spots on the frame look like that shock mount, lol. I will go over the truck once the weather is nice. Im not planing to spend a **** ton of money, but small chunk of change will be invested. No plans of selling or anything so ill have plently of time to work out major rust. As far as she sits right now, she runs good, no weird noises or anything that requires immediate attention. I seen the truck atleast 4 or 5 times as i was getting the money for it, and im aware of its issues now. But im cool with brutally honest people. Mames the world go round lol.

Minor update, my radio came in the mail, so ill be installing that. And ill be figuring out why my interior lights(cargo light works, and so does that light right above the heater controls) do not work.. Maybe blown bulbs? Is there a fuse that controls those lights?

#36 · (Edited)
So since the hubs are always engaged, is that good or bad?

4wd works fine, and theres no issues with 2wd.... If the cad didnt work, would i know? I went through all of the different modes of the transfer case, like 4wd hi and low, and everything seems to work with no issues.

Maybe blown bulbs? Is there a fuse that controls those lights?
... Always engaged is normal/stock/ok (manual, or auto hubs are desirable imo).

... Being 4wd works, means both the CAD and t-case are engaging.

Need to ensure CAD "disengages" fully in 2wd>>
... Being weak vacuum to CAD may cause it to respond slowly, make sure it's been in 2wd for awhile (or select 2wd, and after light goes out continue to drive for 1/2 mile+ and gently nurse steering wheel Left/Center/Right, then R/C/L, then L/C/R to break the torque which helps CAD shift collar move). ... Will often hear/feel a muffled "thunk" when CAD finally disengages. (changing direction forward/reverse F/R/F/R a few feet each time helps CAD move too; again, breaks the torque/drag)
... Park truck, grab front drive shaft, it should rotate freely (will be some drag from the heavy gear oil in frt diff); if it rotates, t-case and the sometimes/often problemsome CAD are working just fine.

.. When selecting 4wd, always allow enough time for vac CAD to fully engage before honking on the pedal; nursing wheel and F/R helps; when light comes on CAD is only about 80% engaged, keep nursing, and/or F/R (some select 4wd and hammer pedal not realizing a cold vac CAD can be lazy, and KABOOM, she's toast).

... Maybe fuse for instrument lights (cab/cargo may be a different circuit, DK). ... As said, all I know is fuse box "might" be a "flip down" type contraption under steering column (by drivers knees); my 90 had the flipdown.

#37 ·
Oh ok well yeah, i never had to do all of that when going from 2wd to 4wd or reverse. The light goes off as soon as i do the 2wd steps.. Dont think awd is an issue though. And i found the fusebox, im going to go through it tomorrow hopefully, and will get them lights working! But i want to get new guages so ill do away with the stock cluster.. I do like the truck though, main issues is the hard to push throttle, maybe the throttle cable needs lubed up or something.. What can cause a hardbto push pedal, and a pedal that takes some time to go back to its normal position? A kink or a broken line? And that steering slop. Imma upload the video.

#38 ·
Oh ok well yeah, i never had to do all of that when going from 2wd to 4wd or reverse. The light goes off as soon as i do the 2wd steps..
Dont think awd is an issue though.

main issues is the hard to push throttle, maybe the throttle cable needs lubed up or something.
What can cause a hardbto push pedal, and a pedal that takes some time to go back to its normal position? A kink or a broken line? And that steering slop. Imma upload the video.
... awd ??? ... Sounds like a "full time" 4x4 t-case (get a pic of the round tag on back of t-case, and t-case shifter knob in the cab))

...Check if it's the carb, or auto choke issue (operate throttle shaft by hand); or cable (disconnect it at carb, push/pull it to ensure it moves freely); if it's frayed or rough internally it's toast.

... Have heard that some members have changed cables; it definitely should return immediately.
... Could lube it; graphite powder; or very very light full synthetic motor oil; or automatic trans fluid; maybe Tri Flow (in rattle can).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.