DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

360 build update

33K views 301 replies 18 participants last post by  smity901 
#1 ·
OK so we got the fuel sync set at 0 it does bounce to -2 back to 0 now and again...idk how much closer we can get it to stay at 0 then that. Second when the truck is idling the timing the scan tool read was 14* from what i've read around with these cams that sounds about right.

now these test were under no load sitting in park this is what im getting.

My buddy jay was bringing the the rpms up by 100rpms at a time with the scan tool to test it, once the truck hits 1400 RPMs the timing jumps up to 30* and it starts back firing. So we backed the rpms back down to idle at 750, now using the gas peddle we bring it up past 1400rpms it back fires a little once you hit 2400 rpms the computer brings the timing back down miss fires go away and as you continue to rev the engine up in rpms hitting 3,000RPMs the computer has the correct timing and you can just bury the tack to 6 grand no back fires nothing the truck just sounds great. Its just that first couple hundred rpms the computer is tricked for some reason thinking that the truck is running wide open.

The TPS sensor isn't tossing a code so I dont think its bad to make the computer think its going balls to the wall.

Im going to email Sean and see what he thinks.

I feel like we have taken a step in the right direction though in getting this thing dialed in though.

Any thoughts or help let me know guys.

the truck sounds so good at idle and once you get passed the 2400 mark omg look out the 3 inch pipes thing sounds mean!!!! shes just a little confused still.

Was also thinking about taking the tune out and seeing what happens.

See less See more
#148 ·
Smity,
I sure hope this fixes your problems and you end up with a great running engine.
Fingers crossed for ya.

#149 ·
Yeah me too wild, me too

#150 ·
Ok still backfiring out the intake, said he moved it both ways on the fuel timing didn't change anything. Spun you said earlier that a compression test would show if a valve is leaking or staying open to long?

#163 ·
That is one of the first things I would have done with an intake back fire after a complete tune-up. I would also take the valve covers off and see how they move while the engine is running, valves have been known to stick open. Good luck

#151 ·
Spun this cam called for 1.6.1 rocker ratio, the hughes magnum rocker arms are 1.65.1, I told the people who built mt heads this, could this new the problem? Also an update he says it wasn't backfiring every time like before so now it could possibly be just running lean, tomorrow the wide band goes on and put sct tune back in

#152 ·
If the rocker ratio is causing the valves to stay open even a millisecond too long, that could potentially cause a backfire out of the intake side. What is your cams lift/duration for the intake side? I can't remember, but I want to say it didn't sound that aggressive.

#154 ·
Cam lift is 512\512 duration 210 by 220, I got more pictures of the rotor with the gear now that it was changed a tooth upload them in a minute, Sean is now saying that the fuel sync look wrong, were going to install it tomorrow,

#155 · (Edited)
Hemifevers from what lee posted looks the same to me

Attachments

#164 ·
i am comparing the two pict in post #155.
it is possible to have the drive gear 180* out. cause both ways changed forward and back a tooth doesnt line up just great. maybe lift & try the gear 180* a half turn and drop it back in. that dizzy slot lines up with the furthest foremost intake bolt on the driver side on TDC. make sure you got tdc on a compression stroke.
ITS HARD TO DO WITH THE INTAKE ON. you'll get it.

#156 ·
idk your guys guess is my best guess

Attachments

#157 ·
think you got to lift it and go clockwise some. drop it back in. BE SURE TO HAVE THE BALANCER MARK AT TDC
look at the relationship with the lock down hardware- that base tab should be dead center on that sucker.
then set the sync to +4

#158 ·
Smity,
I was sitting here today thinking about your issues and this little light bulb came on inside my head. Then it turned into a LARGE BULB.......................Now this isn't going to help you any nor does it help me at this point. But I am now wondering if some of your issues with the dizzy your having might have been some of mine.

I installed a junkyard 5.2 into my Jeep Wrangler and I could never get the darn thing to run right. I am wondering now if the dizzy could have off a tooth.

Here's hoping that your able to get this thing figured out so when I put my new engine together I can learn from you.

#159 ·
Yeah this has been some ride wild very frustrated.

Spun if I move it clock wise back I will be putting the gear back to where it was. I'm just exhausted now.

#160 ·
Any updates?

#161 ·
It looks like it needs to go clockwise 1 tooth. I wonder if your friends dad even moved it. Maybe he thought he did but the gears are angle cut and can fool you.

I'll get a picture of where my dizzy tab is on the airgap manifold, with a measuring tape.

#162 · (Edited)
I got some pictures. I might have went a tad past TDC. But watch where the dizzy tabs are on the airgap. Your definatly off 1 tooth turn, quick fix though.

#165 ·
lee, those first two picts were yours correct? i just dont want to confuse here. the last one was for comparison on smities, right?

#168 ·
Mine are currently at half turn pre load

#169 ·
Ok, so pre-load is effectively the same as valve lash? I was going to say earlier to check the intake valve lash, but I know it's not called that on these LOL

Why not eliminate this hydraulic crap and go with a solid cam/pushrod/rocker setup? Very expensive?

#170 ·
All cylinders sept 6 and 8 are 165, 6 is 150 8 is 145, hes rea checking those two rockers my buddy set right now

#171 ·
More bad news, he put a small amount of oil in those two cylinders and the compression can up to 165.....think my rings didn't seat...tomorrow were taking the rockers right off to make sure that the valves are 100% closed, but he said as far as adjusting there right on.

#172 ·
one half turn would be .025... flat tappets are set a .035- .0375 to start. 3/4 turn. anyways a place to start.
solid lifters and p-rods and a cam that can handle it! a solid lifter cam is a special thing, and you cant interchange parts from a hydraulic system. solid lifters would dictate a substitution on the oiling system. the rockers and valve stem wouldnt get oiled normaly. maybe retro-fit LA heads and oiling system to utilize the rocker rails' oiling system.???
hydraulic rams have load on the p-rod. 0-lash would be almost no load and lash of course would be a loos p-rod. diesels have a lash measure right! not sure what that is?
smity! to me, your cylinder bores looked smooth and shiney. do you remember a cross hatch pattern? when mine was assembled it was a rough cross hatch. and i think molly rings need a harsher cylinder score to seat. a cast ring is meant to seat in a smother bore but, can and will set on a rough bore also but its not important with cheaper cast rings. cast rings are fool proof and seat easily either way. rams had a molly high quality ring. the scoring is important. sometimes it takes a thousand miles to fully seat molleys. you got what 50 miles yet? dont use synth oil till your a year old. the rings would ever seat. you got ZDDP in there right?
poorly seated rings shouldnt cause back firing. give it time.

#173 ·
.025 might be a good place to run compression checks. just to make sure you got the valves closing. can a compression check be done with no rockers on at all?? dont know that one!
do you have a starter button. watch the engine turning over. of course have the ignition and spark and fuel pump dissabled! watch the valves dance. when i had not enough load, -THE LIFTERS WOULD COLLAPSE WHILE I WATCHED. seconds. and all the valves would return to seated position. not good. they should hold pressure for hours.

#174 ·
You should be fine with those comp numbers, its only about 10% difference on the lowest cylinder. Slightly lower comp will not cause a back fire in the intake, Unless of course the valves are open just a hair.

#175 ·
Hmmm, I used the rotella T 10w-30 cause it was supposed to have zink in it. Before I go pulling the engine ill put the rocker at quarter turn, then willi know they should be closed. Then if it still leaks ill pull the head off and have the valve looked at, then if its got the green light, the engine gets pulled back apart. 145Psi that can't be good lee

There is about 100-150 miles on it. It looked like a light cross hatch and I have cast rings

#176 ·
Cast rings require a rougher finish then Moly. Moly likes about 400 grit, cast about 280 grit. If you find out a rocker is miss adjusted don't forget to adjust the dizzy because its off in the pics.

If you used a finer hone it might take longer for the rings to fully seat.

#177 ·
145psi is ok. cold block, cold pistons and cold rings. they would also be wet with oil if it was running. the pressure will prolly come up durring a run condition. no reason to pull the block just yet. you have other ghosts to chase

#179 ·
It was a cold test, so that makes me feel better lol. If thats the case tomorrow I will be going over there to personally help him after im done with my side job and ill have Lees picture up will get the dizzy turned AGAIN lol, then do a warm test see what compression we get and go from there........Does this road end????

#178 ·
He said the Rockers were adjusted right, weather that gear is off or not that should not affect compression correct? Cause right now my main focus is the rings and why my compression is so low in those two.

This ZDDP is that some additive or is that something that comes in the oil?

For got to tell you guys I got the wide band A/F ratio gauge in. It says im running lean. when you do that throttle snap or if you stomp the gas shoots to 20 which is way lean I guess, if you slowly bring the RPMS up and then open the throttle up it goes to about 17.5. That may be causing the backfiring from what im told backfiring can be caused by running lean. So with the gauge saying 17.5 im scared to drive it around to try and help see if I can get those rings to seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.