DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

360 build update

33K views 301 replies 18 participants last post by  smity901 
#1 ·
OK so we got the fuel sync set at 0 it does bounce to -2 back to 0 now and again...idk how much closer we can get it to stay at 0 then that. Second when the truck is idling the timing the scan tool read was 14* from what i've read around with these cams that sounds about right.

now these test were under no load sitting in park this is what im getting.

My buddy jay was bringing the the rpms up by 100rpms at a time with the scan tool to test it, once the truck hits 1400 RPMs the timing jumps up to 30* and it starts back firing. So we backed the rpms back down to idle at 750, now using the gas peddle we bring it up past 1400rpms it back fires a little once you hit 2400 rpms the computer brings the timing back down miss fires go away and as you continue to rev the engine up in rpms hitting 3,000RPMs the computer has the correct timing and you can just bury the tack to 6 grand no back fires nothing the truck just sounds great. Its just that first couple hundred rpms the computer is tricked for some reason thinking that the truck is running wide open.

The TPS sensor isn't tossing a code so I dont think its bad to make the computer think its going balls to the wall.

Im going to email Sean and see what he thinks.

I feel like we have taken a step in the right direction though in getting this thing dialed in though.

Any thoughts or help let me know guys.

the truck sounds so good at idle and once you get passed the 2400 mark omg look out the 3 inch pipes thing sounds mean!!!! shes just a little confused still.

Was also thinking about taking the tune out and seeing what happens.

See less See more
#28 ·
you may have had a sensor go bad during the swap. i'm just speculating. my old fuel pump lasted 50 miles with the new motor. maybe pinched a wire on the install. check around the bell housing. look along the valve covers to see if anything is pinched. do you think the crank position sensor was booged when the engine was slid back into the trans? or perhaps the throttle position sensor had a dead spot in the stator. just guessing!
let me post a pict of the distributor. the ink mark on the cap is cylinder 1 position. the ink mark on the dist body is the rotor at tdc 1. the rotor should point to the cam position mark on the sensor at tdc 1.

Attachments

#29 ·
yes- the rotor doesnt point to the cap position for tdc 1. its passed it pointing to the mark on the cam sensor. the rotor is directly over the cam sensor mark.

#36 ·
my intent was only to be as specific as possible.

smity? have you been able to look at the rotor position at tdc? it isnt easy to look back there on a finished engine.
anyone else have pictures of the same thing?
i know the base tabs should be about at clock position 9:15 & 3:15

#31 ·
Mike don't worry brother, its got everybody stumped! As far as the sensors go nothing looks pinched, but lucky me my step dad works in a shop so ill have him order those sensors for free try them if they don't work send them back if nothing changes.

Sean sent me anther tune this morning dumping more fuel in that rpm range will see what happens

#32 ·
Nobody said anything about how she runs once she runs lol.....what you guys think?

#33 ·
In case I'm not understanding, the bone stock tune/ecu makes it do the same thing? And after you get it cleared up in the higher rpms, and drop back down below 1400 (lets say 1000 rpm) cruising though a slow area, and get back in it again, it is fine? Or does it ALWAYS do it at 1400rpm, no matter what?

#34 ·
Yes with both the bone stock computer and with the tuner at the same points it acted up. only difference was with the tuner we couldn't get it out of that bad area of rpms. when were driving and locked up in OD cruising nothing happens you can pin it away we goooooo. come to a stop and let it idle and then try to accelerate through and we run into problems again.

Reason for the tuner not working is cause Sean has a few things enhanced and with that it just really messes the timing up or something idk but he has changed few things back to stock in the tune and we can now drive the truck with the tune on it. He just sent me a second tune dumping more fuel in that bad area to see if it helps....some people are telling me they think its running lean right there so idk will found out here in about a hour!

wish me luck.

try to get a exhaust video clip.

#35 ·
If it runs different with different timing in the computer your dizzy gear has to be off. We need a pic of the dizzy rotor at TDC. Once the trucks warm it should not be lean as it adjust air to fuel via o2 sensors unless WOT.

#37 ·
go figure when i get there, I take one video of the exhaust for you guys....phone dies lol, forgot to charge it last night...so waiting for it to charge, then going back and setting the engine to TDC, I took the air box off so I could see and found out the backfiring cracked a big hole in the top of it, so got to get a new one know....

then im going to take the cap off and mark the notch on the bottom like you did and then mark the rotor position and take a picture and let you guys look...like I said mike swears he did that already so im just going to go double check his work show you guys and see if we can scratch that off the list.

Sean said the Dizzy maybe right but there might be something funning going on with the air/fuel ratio.

Till I get that air box though I dont want to run it to much

#38 ·
so am i understanding this right?

Attachments

#40 ·
24lb injectors....no check engine light...my truck would never throw a code easy...I remember the old engine would get water when it would rain on the cap...it would get pissed spit and spudder have to drive like 25 miles to finally get it to toss a code...then if it dryed up for a week the light would just go off one day

#52 ·
Yeah thats correct

#53 ·
Well because it does it with the stock tune & your modified tune you know it can't be something from the computer.
I would start looking for something mechanical. I know when I was a kid and had this issue it was because my lifters were sticking and I had to clean them. Back then to clean them I would pour a can of ATF thru the carb slowly and by the time I got done pouring all the ATF thru the carb it had loosed up whatever was sticken. Did you replace the lifters or clean and reuse the old ones?

#59 ·
Yeah spun gave me his set that he said he didn't hardly put any miles on, There is nothing mechanically wrong with the truck, from 3,000 RPM to 6,000RPM in the video you see the truck dont miss a beat, and when I first start the video were just cruising down the road. If a valve was sticking or opening the truck would not get better with more RPMS it would get worse or stay the same. There is a computer problem for sure...and either I got this dizzy wrong, or my PCM is just being a D**K and were going to be fighting lol:pDT_sumo:

#54 ·
can we get a few picts of distributor position on here? other picture angles on original trucks? with the cap on and some with the cap off preferably at "tdc"! lets make some comparisons.

#58 · (Edited)
Wait a second The rotor should point to the number spark plug on the block at TDC? Or at the Number 1 coil on the cap?

Spun I can't compare the two engines because I used the Dizzy from my old 360 and transferred it over, so unless I take mine out to compare it cant happen, Really dont want to start over fuel syncing, I'm going to text my buddy see if hes at the shop today and if he hes ill be heading over there to take pictures the best I can with my crappy phone that I dropped a gazillion times and that can no longer focus in lol.

Someone give me a quick recap to making sure im on the compression stroke for TDC....Think someone said stick a wooden rod and if its coming up when I look at my balancer and the line hits the TDC on the timing cover im golden right?

#60 ·
totally random but it does make a huge issue that next to no one will figure out.
happened to me.
do you have the wrong 02 sensor plugged in? try switching the o2 sensors plugs. leave them screwed into the exhaust and just switch the wiring harness.
try that.
i had a very similar problem to yours when i rebuilt my truck.
the harness for the o2 on that year is almost the same length so you can plug them in backwards.
mine had the same drivability issues. would backfire down low but wideopen it was awesome.
crawled under and swapped harness position and fixed everything

#61 ·
pull the spark plugs rotate engine until coming up on compression stroke on #1 cylinder tdc it will be pushing the air out the spark plug hole and or look for the piston to be up the marks on the harmonic balancer should agree at tdc then pull the distributor out look down the hole and see if the slot is nearly straight front to back but scewed towards #1 spark plug then line up distributor drop it in it will spin slightly when it meshes with the cam gear and set down on block. then it should be lined up with #1 mark on cap. do this prior to spending money if thats correct you might have a exhaust valve sticking or another mechanical issue if not solved.

#65 ·
basically im going to cut a coat hanger long enough, take the spark plug out, set the hanger in there when I see the hanger coming up I know that when the balancer line hits TDC on the timing cover im there correct?

#63 ·
if it happend to me it can happen to anyone.
i dont know why i didnt say anything earlier. it just didnt click in with the driving issues.
i really hope this is your problem. something simple and easy to fix.

#66 ·
well darn. i was hoping it would have worked.

#67 ·
though you have a 96 tothat's weird, for me it wouldn't allow the first o2 sensor to be plugged into the second, unless they just gave me another makes/models o2.....but either way I appreciate your help

#69 ·
maybe you got the down stream O2 sensor in the cat position and vs for the up stream? accidently in the down stream spot?

#71 ·
wish that was the case...but we took the first one out cut the exhaust put the new engine in, put the long tubes in, pluged the first o2 back in...bought the exhaust then took the second o2 out ran the exhaust and then plugged the second o2 back in.

Want to get take pictures of the rotor but its just nasty out, snowed 3 inches, then it warmed up and rained. Now Ice every where and its just not worth driving on the bad roads....weathers not supposed to break till later on this weekend.

#73 ·
i know how you feel. we also got some snow and a cold snap on sunday.
im holding on in the hopes summer is coming lol

#75 · (Edited)
i know how you feel. we also got some snow and a cold snap on Sunday.
im holding on in the hopes summer is coming lol
well I made a honest attempt yesterday guys lol, and when I got to the shop the parking lot was covered in about 3 inches of slush and the barn had a car on the hoist already...so I ended up bailing....truck will go in Friday im just going to have them look at it. I have been able to save up around 800 more bucks so ill spend a few bucks to just have them look at it and set it...or just tell me if its wrong. Was hoping to use that money on the dyno but the weather just isn't going to break here.

We went from 3 inches of snow, to rain and hail that then froze the roads....to now its down pooring and we got about 3-4inchs of water int he roads and thats supposed to freeze as well.......

But If I remember correctly my Dizzy gear did not line up with the number 1 spark plug that picture shows. damn wish I had that picture all along, now my buddy says the rotor matches up with the notch in the dizzy for the cam. But I'm almost certain it did not when we first put the engine together it was more if your standing in front of the block by the water pump and looked straight back and down the dizzy hole that, that gear would be more east and west pointing to the heads.

he swears up and down its right...but after that picture idk, That will be the first thing I tell them to take a look at.

Thanks for that picture, The only thing that does confuse me is if it was off, why does the truck run so well at top end, why does that backfiring stop? if the dizzy was off the truck should never get better? Should get worse or stay the same. Unless the computer freaks out in the beginning and then figures out whats going on and adjusts the timing accordingly to what I have wrong and then bingo were off to the races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.