DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

04 neon bypass radiator and use trans cooler?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  key99 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have an 04 neon that has the transmission fluid in the radiator and vise versa. This is a very common problem. Iam about to flush the system and replace the radiator. Why cant I plug off the cooler lines on the new radiator and just run a trans cooler instead? Seems like a logical fix to the radiator problem. Anyone see a problem with that?

#2 ·
DK 04 Neon or its auto trans; may depend on your local clime, and/or the coldest winter temps it will be driven in.

As much as many/me won't advise to flush a used auto trans with unknown history, a flush may be the best way to remove the coolant contaminated oil from trans and converter.

#5 ·
Good news; just ensure trans is not too cold in winter, will likely need to cover them up (have heard of a 2G ram in PA without the stock rad trough exchanger that had issues last winter).
... If there is winter issues, "liquid to liquid" exchangers are available (they are installed in heater return hose); would be far better than anti-freeze getting into auto trans like the failing stock setup does.

Here's some liq-liq exchangers and trans coolers by Dana

http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect/55c849804d85a1438f11afb45818b3c4/dext2-transmissionoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.