DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

can a 4.7 drop a valve?

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  schnydz 
#1 ·
So a friend of a friend has a 2002 4x4 1500 with a 4.7. Apparently it has a miss and he took it a shop and they told him he is about to loose a valve. They recommended a reman engine for about $6400. I don't know the mileage. I'll try to get more info today. Anyone have problems with valves or heads on these? I've read about sludge issues taking out engines. What actually goes wrong if there is sludge build up? Whats the exact failure? Any thoughts on what to look for? Compression and leak down tests I can do. And has anyone had there engine rebuilt or did you just get a reman engine? where did you get it?

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
To begin with, the truck is not worth $6,400. He can buy a newer truck with a Hemi for 'bout the same money. To answer your question, it's certainly possible to drop a valve. Some of the more mechanical folks here might be able to evaluate "... about to lose a valve ..." I don't know how the shop could tell that.

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm wondering what the shop did to decide that as well. You're probably right about the price.

#4 ·
yes 4.7 engines are known on occasion to drop a valve, 6400 for a re man engine, tell him to get lost that is nuts. you can change the head on the side where the valve problem is cheaper and not that hard to do if you are mech inclined. compression test will locate the problem cylinder due to broken valve springs. I wonder did he do a comp. test to confirm his findings

#5 ·
It's more likely a valve seat that is going to drop.

#6 ·
That was my first though....

Dropped seat, then bye-bye valve, spring, and everything else with that cylinder.

:ugh

#7 ·
I finally got the truck to my house. Hopefully I'll have time to investigate it this weekend.

#8 ·
Houston... we have a problem... I'm thinking the valve seat fell out and is holding the valve open. compression is 0 and I can slide the rocker in and out. Guess I'm pulling the heads!

I think $6400 was parts and labor. Still too high. I'll pull the heads and have all the intake seats replaced.

Attachments

#9 ·
Ouch!

:frown

#10 ·
yea.... at least I'm not paying for it! lol it's not my truck. I get to fix it so I'm getting paid!

#11 ·
those pic's tell me the engine was not a sludge monster, looks in decent shape to rebuild.
As for the 6400, that is ouch even parts and labor. I had a 318 put in my Dakota for 4800, brand new long block.

#13 ·
friends don't let friends drive 4.7's...

Attachments

#15 ·
So a friend of a friend has a 2002 4x4 1500 with a 4.7. Apparently it has a miss and he took it a shop and they told him he is about to loose a valve. They recommended a reman engine for about $6400.
I'll BET they did - especially since you can get a crate hemi for less than $6,400! :ugh

- crate 5.7 Hemi

- crate 6.1 Hemi

- crate 6.4 Hemi!!!

Tell him to RUN - don't walk - from that shop as FAST as possible, and either find someone REPUTABLE... or get a new truck.

#16 ·
That's just down right fugly... :ugh

#17 ·
all new intake seats, valve job, one new intake valve, piston passed inspection so it was reused, new valve stem seals, heads resurfaced, everything cleaned and put back together. Runs like a champ! Thanks for the input everyone!

#18 ·
Love to hear the good news!

:grin

#19 ·
X2, how bad was the final bill?

#20 ·
parts and labor, $2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.