Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmission Shifts Late at High RPM

45K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  89smurf 
#1 ·
1999 Dodge Ram Quad
5.9L V8
Automatic Transmission

When I start from a complete stop the transmission doesn't shift into 2nd until about 3000 RPM's. At that point the trucks shifts and the "Check Engine" light turns on. It still shifts smooth (well at least for this truck). I dropped the pan, replaced the filter and 5 Qts of ATF+4 fluid. Removed the Negative from the battery (resetting the computer) and try it again. Same thing (bummer, I was hoping for a $45 fix) and even drove it around 10 miles to let the fluid heat up but same thing. I also notice that it shifts from 3rd to 4th rather high as well.

What could be the issue? I am going to take it down to get the diagnostic code read to see what could possible be the issue, but wanted to go into the mechanic with an idea of what it could be.

Thanks

Magnum

#2 ·
It's the output sensor, its on the side of the transmission tailshaft. They run about $17 at Advance Auto. I went through this a couple months ago and it was a bear to figure out.

#3 ·
MIne is doing this but it is the govener sensor or something like that and its a $150 peice.

#4 ·
Just some more information about it. Perhaps this will help diagnose what the issue is.

From the truck being turned off. I start the truck and take off. The first time that the transmission attempts to shifts it goes to 3000 RPM's and the shifts. From then on, it shifts normally. Every once in a while it acts up but never as bad as the first time. It never shifts hard, it has no problem down shifting...at least yet and it sometimes takes a while to shift from 3rd to 4th, but never at really high RPM's.

If I disconnect the neg from the battery and reset the computer, the "Check Engine" light turns on when the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd during the initial startup and high RPM's.

#5 ·
just a dumb question, but have you adjusted the TV cable at all?
If the line pressure is set too high (TV cable too tight) then you will get the late shifting & gear hunting you are referring to.

#7 ·
glad you got her running right for cheap :tup:

#8 ·
Hey guys, I got a 95 with the same problem..

My 95 has the same issues with shifting.. Tranys was rebuilt about two yrs ago, but only put 2000 miles on her sense.. I looked for this speed sensor and mine doesn't look like this at all.. Mine has a 3 wire sensor that looks like it's part of the old cable speedo.. Has 1 bolt that holds it in.. Would my sensor do the samething / Shifting late? Whats the TV cable I read on here? Someone said it might need adjusted?

Thanks for any help..

#9 ·
My 95 has the same issues with shifting.. Tranys was rebuilt about two yrs ago, but only put 2000 miles on her sense.. I looked for this speed sensor and mine doesn't look like this at all.. Mine has a 3 wire sensor that looks like it's part of the old cable speedo.. Has 1 bolt that holds it in.. Would my sensor do the samething / Shifting late? Whats the TV cable I read on here? Someone said it might need adjusted?

Thanks for any help..
the TV (throttle valve I think) basically controls line pressure. More throttle = more line pressure for firmer shifts. It has a certain amount of control over kick down points as well.
It connects to your throttle cable assy at the throttle body, and can be adjusted near the firewall via a bracket assembly.
You should only adjust this a SMALL amount and I would advise you to mark the TV cable in such a way as to be able to set it back to were it was if you fook it up.
I adjusted mine shorter a while back (about 5 years) to increase line pressure in an endeavor to extend the service life of the tranny. It shifts a little too firm but I don't mind as I haven't needed a rebuild yet.
IMO the #1 way to make sure your 46RE tranny lasts is to keep it cool (180*) - deep pan, tranny cooler w/ dedicated fan, and temp gage.

edit: also check that the return spring for the TV cable is present at the tranny end of the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.