a/c stops working when engine warms up??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
racerboy6996

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
a/c stops working when engine warms up???

Ok i have started having an intermittent a/c problem.. has been getting worse over the last couple months.

This is on a 98 dodge ram 1500

It started about 4 months ago, did it one time while i was driving down the interstate, but started working again after a couple minutes. And it has been getting worse ever since. Now it is all the time when the engine is hot & it is above 70 degrees outside.

Let me start with had pressure levels checked by a pro & he said levels are fine

When it is cool out & I first start the truck the a/c works perfect. But when it is hot outside or the engine is hot (normal operating temp, not overheating) the a/c does not blow cold at all, compressor is not kicking on, air blowing out is at least 85-90 degrees.

When the a/c is working, and compressor is kicking on, it will switch from max to regular a/c no problem & have no issues with changing the vents. And the temperature at vents was around 58 degrees with an outside air temp of 88 degrees...

The mechanic jumped out the low pressure switch & still nothing. I have checked the power running out to all the sensors & they all have a reading of 13 +/- volts.

I have tried everything I can think of, even soaking the condensor with cold water, thinking that may be an issue. Even put an ice cube on the temperature sensor (wasnt sure if it was tied into the a/c or not).. I told you I am trying everything i can think of...

When the a/c is working & I go driving, the a/c will stop working all by itself when stuff heats up, I do not even touch the switch. It did this today while idiling in the yard. A/C was working, let everything heat up & a/c stopped working, so I do not think it is a switch issue.

*EDIT POST* - I just checked it again after truck sitting for a couple hours, so engine is not hot, but a/c still wont blow cool.
Outside temp is 97 degrees

Any ideas you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I have to drive from NC to FL next week & it is gonna be a HOT trip...

'98 Ram 1500 SLT
Quad Cab, Long Bed
2wd

no mods YET

Last edited by racerboy6996; 07-04-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Jmw132001

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ok. you say you have checked the freon when the truck gets warm and the a/c don't work? i have been messing with charging my freon on my truck and i have to tell you that if the freon is just not right it will not work right at all and will do crazy things. that would be the first thing i would check. second, i would make sure that there are not any sensors that are getting over heated or laying close to motor to cause it to kill the ac. only other thing i can think of would be that the compressor itself is overheating and therefore is shutting down. good luck

Justin
Resigned July 19th 2011
COIN HOLDERS ASSOCIATION MEMBER # 88

Beta tester for online games.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 qc sport 360 4x4
208,300 original miles (as of 9-25-10)
new transfer case, brakes, shocks, radiator, water pump(twice cause of faulty parts), front balls joints, trak bar, front u-joints, tires, heater core.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 PM
abossram

Look to see if the compressor clutch is engaging. I have a feeling you have a bad or worn clutch. When blows hot is clutch engaged? Same question when blows cold. Sometimes when system on but clutch won't engage, if you tap on the clutch with the handle of a screwdriver, it will engage, but be damn careful! Lots of ways to get hurt trying that. Any way if it does engage with tapping some clutches can be adjusted and some you have to replace. Let us know.
Edit-after rereading your post-you don't mean the blower is not working, do you?? Different story, then.

Last edited by abossram; 07-04-2006 at 06:42 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
racerboy6996

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy

thanks for the replies...

mechanic said the freon was at the correct level (when a/c compressor was actually working), i took it to him first thing in morning when it was still cool & he was not far enough away that the engine really warmed up, so all was working properly...

the only sensor that i could find that was "laying" anywhere near the motor was the one that the mechanic said would shut down the system if the high pressure side was to high, it was laying on the valve cover & I moved it...

As far as the clutch engaging, yes when a/c is "blowing" cold the clutch is engaged, when the a/c is "blowing" warm clutch is not engaged..
And yes the blower is working... and I have switched it from cool temperature to hot temperature using the temp control knob & there is an obvious increase in heat, so i dont think it has anything to do with some stuff that I have read about that switch not working correctly...

to me it seems like something is "warming up" and not letting the compressor kick on or clutch engage, but I know next to nothing about a/c systems... that is why i tried all the different things at first seeing if any of it worked...

Like I said thank you for ANY ideas at all you may have, I am putting my trip off for another day hoping I find an easy or at least a temp fix... dealership here seems clueless on anything I have had to go to them for, and this mechanic is backed up the rest of this week & closed all next week, so if I plan on going to Florida anytime soon I either need to "stumble" across a fix or suck up the heat for the 12 hour drive...

'98 Ram 1500 SLT
Quad Cab, Long Bed
2wd

no mods YET
post #5 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 10:34 PM
dyessme

High head pressures may cut off compressor, Just replaced the condenser fan on my brothers 2002 1500 Check and be sure the condenser fan is on when the AC is on. 4 seasons parts house said they are having a rash of them beign replaced.

Dyessme
1998 Ram 2500 2WD 376,000 miles, orginal auto tanny.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
racerboy6996

(Thread Starter)
allegedly the high side pressure was fine...
how do i check the condensor fan? where is it located?

'98 Ram 1500 SLT
Quad Cab, Long Bed
2wd

no mods YET
post #7 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 11:20 PM
dyessme

O
n the right side of the grill area. The 2002 did not use the cooling fan to pull air accross the condenser. there is a electric fan mounted there, right by the fuse box. his would not cool while not moving.

Dyessme
post #8 of 12 Old 07-04-2006, 11:22 PM
dyessme

The radiator is on the right and the AC condensor is on the left, I am no tsure about the 1998 model. But may be the same.

Dyessme
post #9 of 12 Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
racerboy6996

(Thread Starter)
ok i think i understand, on the '98 there is no electric fans.
The only fan out there for pulling air is the fan actually on the motor & I checked the fan shroud, it is not damaged.
And earlier when I said I found a sensor laying on valve cover, what I actually had found was the electrical "quick connect" that goes to the high side sensor.
The only sensors I can find is this one & the low side sensor.
And they are either screwed into the compressor or into the a/c lines so the couldnt move from their originally mounted positions.

Is there any other sensors I should be looking for?

'98 Ram 1500 SLT
Quad Cab, Long Bed
2wd

no mods YET
post #10 of 12 Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
racerboy6996

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abossram
Look to see if the compressor clutch is engaging. I have a feeling you have a bad or worn clutch.
Ok, first thing this morning, went out & started truck & turned on a/c...
All working fine...

Left truck idle, engine temp got up to about 160, a/c still worked fine, would turn on & off no problems. Clutch stayed engaged whenever a/c was turned on..

Left truck running, engine temp got up to about 200, a/c quit blowing cold. Clutch was not engaging.

Took screwdriver to clutch, metal part of screwdriver was drawn to clutch, so I guess it was getting power but not engaging. Smacked clutch with screwdriver & it engaged & a/c started blowing cold.

Turned a/c switch off & back on, clutch was not engaged. Smacked with screwdriver & it engaged again.

Does this mean clutch is going out?
Is this something I can replace myself without evacuating a/c system?

Thanks for all the help

'98 Ram 1500 SLT
Quad Cab, Long Bed
2wd

no mods YET
post #11 of 12 Old 07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
abossram

Well-you found the answer. I don't know if the clutch is adjustable or easily replaced. Someone on here will know. Generally with the systems I am familiar with, GM Ford and some imports you can adjust the clutch for wear by removing shims from the compressor shaft after removing the clutch. Specs for clutch gap I also don't know. Replacing the clutch does not require opening the system in most cases. IF the clutch will come off the shaft without a "puller" you are in good shape. Sorry can't be of more help on this specific system but at least you know what the prob is.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
abossram

After reading another post on the subject-try going to Autozone website and go into the DIY section on repairs to look for info on your fix. As I mentioned in the other post, you may be able to rent any tools needed from your Autozone or whatever major chain is nearby. Get a clutch from them and rent the needed tool and go ahead and replace your serpentine belt while you have it loose. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in