RAM Promaster 1500 diesel jerking up hills - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

Closed Thread

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
RAMPromastergrl
A tiny home on wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAM Promaster 1500 diesel jerking up hills

Hi there

I have a RAM Promaster 1500 diesel cargo van with a high roof

I bought it new and then spent 3 months converting the inside into a tiny home on wheels (i'm a touring musician), and only just recently got it back and am now discovering some of its issues

For starters- I LOVE my van. But it honestly feels like the least solid vehicle i've ever driven, and i've had countless issues, and it's brand new

When i go up hills, especially when i have to take a corner uphill, the engine seems like it is going to die, and then it often jerks and chokes and it literally jerks like a bucking bronco ... the dealership told me to shift into manual for the hills and go to first gear, which helped the problem a bit, but i am still having major issues everytime i approach anything resembling a hill.

The front wheel drive is so weak, I really wish Dodge brought forth a 4 wheel drive version, it would be so crucial

Don't even get me started about when it's raining ... this van is such a pain and gets stuck so easily in mud, thank god for AAA. We've had torrential downpours and i've needed them twice recently.

Has anyone else had any issue with going uphill? My load in the back is less than 1,000 pounds (no bathroom or shower, just a little kitchen with sink and fridge, and a bed and drawers)

With that kind of load, it should be fine according to its specs

Sometimes it also starts smoking and the whole van smells like burnt transmission fluid after just driving a few miles down a straight, flat road. But when it take it in for service they say nothing is wrong.

I want to be an advocate for this van, it is such a good looking van, and in theory and principle, it should be amazing ...

But it just isn't. I'm worried i've got a lemon on my hands or something ... after all that work converting it I sure hope not.

Anyone have similar problems?
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-22-2016, 01:49 PM
TRD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds like a serious issue. You should not have to shift a new vehicle into manual mode to go up a hill!

You should talk to a different dealer.
Closed Thread

Tags
bucking , hills , jolting , promaster , smoking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in