DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

85 B350 318 wont start

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Calvin Mossjr 
#1 ·
Have 85 B350 with 318 & auto trans. I was driving it & you would smell something hot an it would take 10 minutes after it was turned off then it would start back. The 2nd time it did it took 30 minutes to start back now it wont start at all. I have replaced ignition coil, ignition coil wire, ignition control module, ignition control resistor, neutral safety switch, starter with solenoid. The alt & battery have been replaced a few months ago. It is something not letting the starter engage. The oil light will come on when I turn the key & the engine will not turn over starter wont engage nothing like it is dead key. Any ideas what it might be?

#2 · (Edited)
DK 85 at all or if it has solenoid on fender, but maybe try putting power to small terminal on starter (see if starter will crank).

... The "Full Load" amp gauge setup has been known to cause all sorts of problems; Mopar installed them into the late 80s. Many bypass them to fix or avoid issues and there's tons of info on this; truck in this link is 77 Ram

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

#3 ·
the solenoid is built into the starter on these there is n solenoid on the fender. Could it be a relay or something like that? Something is not letting the starter engage it will not kick on or turn over nothing. Was told by a friend there might be a wire running from the ignition switch to the starter under the dash that might be causing it. Could this be it?

#4 ·
the solenoid is built into the starter

Was told by a friend there might be a wire running from the ignition switch to the starter
Friend is right, could be wire or ignition switch issue, or starter issue; that's why it was suggested to put power directly to small terminal on starter.

#6 ·
#12 ·
found the problem looks like a starter problem going to have a guy I know check the starter come next month when he does other stuff to it. He is going to check & see if it needs shims added or might be bad starter just got starter about month ago. That is why it is not starting starter is not engaging right. As far as smelling something electrical hot found out it is some wires at the headlight switch. Going to have Eric guy I know find me a new fuse box since old one has short in it. From were old owner put 8 prong headlight switch in & it sent surge to fuse box & other parts of the vehicle & going to have him replace valve cover gasket & replace both rear wheel cylinders & bleed brakes that will get it back on the road again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.