DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Performance Upgrade Questions

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  SlimTex 
#1 ·
I have just recently purchased a new 2012 CTD Mega Cab 2500.

I have been trying to research and review what components are available for this vehicle since I have always upgraded my vehicles I don't see this one remaining stock for long either.

My questions are which manufacturer's would you recommend for the EGR/DPF Delete kits, Air Intake Systems, Programmer and an Exhaust ? I have noticed that not many components are available for the 2012's for whatever reason.

I am really trying to avoid an exhaust system or upgrades that create an annoying drone noise. I would like for it to remain rather quiet if that's possible with the upgrades I have mentioned.

Thank you,

Michael

#2 ·
I would leave the engine/exhaust alone
#1 California's smog laws you get caught it is $10,000 fine
#2 Chrysler LLC will void your warranty if you do any of the listed performance modifications you listed

I am close friends with my service writer and he made it clear that I cant modify my 2012 3500 CTD like I did my Hemi and if I did my warrant would be toast. He said that Chrysler LLC is looking real hard at Mods done to CTD cause it has cost them $$ in years past.

Also why do you need more that 350 hp and 85#torque my beast has eaten everything I could throw at it no problems only thing you might gain is some MPG but is did not think it was worth the loss of 5yr 100,000 mile warranty
My .02

#3 ·
I am well aware of the smog and warranty implications, I am more so interested in further increasing the fuel economy than the additional power and torque.

#5 ·
Since you want it quiet just do a "DPF delete pipe". It's called a dpf delete pipe but will replace the nox and dpf with a straight piece of pipe. You will want one that has the 3 bolt flange on one end that will bolt to the stock downpipe, and the other end will slip fit into the stock muffler. The stock downpipe has a cat which will keep the exterior and interior sound from getting very loud and prevent drone. (I have had this setup on my truck) If that proved to be too loud you could splice in another muffler into the delete pipe if you needed to. I can't imagine needing to do that, but it would be an option.

For EGR, since you'll need smog check every 2 years don't remove the EGR. The tuner will disable it automatically.

For the tuner, you may or may not have heard both Smarty and H&S recently stopped selling dpf delete tuners. As far as I have seen you can still find tuners for sale though. I don't really have a recommendation between the two. I've run both and both worked. 2012 results may be different than mine. I like H&S for the gauges.

#6 ·
The delete pipe... that does require a tuner or EGR delete kit to prevent throwing codes, correct?

#7 ·
Basically yes if you remove the DPF you need a tuner with dpf delete tuning. Otherwise it would throw codes and probably end up in some kind of limp mode. There is also another method that much fewer people seem to use... With the use of resisters connected to a few of the sensors that plug into the DPF you can trick the computer into thinking it never needs to regen... I don't know much about it. Considering the heat the tuning companies have taken recently it may start to become a more common method. Just google "6.7 cummins resistors delete" or something along those lines and I'm sure you'll find the info you need if interested.

For EGR delete on 4th gens (2010+) if you install a dpf delete tuner then you don't have to touch the EGR at all. EGR will be disabled automatically in the tuning. If you use the fooler method to delete the DPF I'm not sure that there is any way to avoid throwing a code if you unplug or remove the EGR, but it's not something I am very familiar with so I don't know for sure.

#8 ·
hmmm... what kind of gas mileage can the 6.7 get when you delete the dpf. its pretty horrific stock as i understand.

#9 ·
I am currently getting 14-15 around town and 18 on short freeway runs completely stock, then again it barely has 1k miles on the truck at the moment either. Would kind of like to know the same information myself.

Just basically trying to gauge what to begin planning towards/around so I don't have to do the upgrades multiple times.

#10 ·
A big thing is gonna depend on the gears... I've got 4.10s so I'm hitting 2k RPMs at 70. But on my daily drive where I'm running 55 or so, I've been able to get my EVIC as high as 16.5... but it's usually in the 15-15.5 range.

#11 ·
Yeah I know what you mean, that was why I went with the 3:73's personally.

#12 ·
For that reason... yes, the 3.73s would be good. But the 4.10s come with a lot higher towing capacity which works great for me.

#14 ·
I just bought a 6.7 stroker. ( Cummins is the mess that Strokin leaves behind). I'm doing a dpf delete on Friday. It will help your mpg's a lot. Egr.. Exhaust gas recirculator. Meaning it recycles gas back into motor. If u take off filter then soot just exits exhaust faster. Instead of staying in filter and then making truck go into regen. Delete it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
I just bought a 6.7 stroker. ( Cummins is the mess that Strokin leaves behind).
Really? You've had a Ford for two days and you're already turning into a massive fanboy...

Best of luck with your looks-the-same-as-every-other-powerstroke-on-the-road truck and hope you have a good warranty and insurance company.

#15 ·
how does the 6.7 compare to the old 5.9 for gas mileage once you delete the egr and dpf? 5.9 has neither right?

#16 ·
Now I'm at 14-15 with 35's. hoping to see 18-20 after I get done playing.

#17 ·
Nice, Atleast gives me some kind of ballpark for where I am looking to be myself.

#20 ·
Without a doubt, go with a H&S tuner. Contact Rollin Smoke Diesel. They will give you a good price on a tuner and a DPF delete pipe.

#26 ·
You can also give your friendly DodgeTalk supporter a call. We've got a handful of Mini Maxx's and delete pipes left. H&S has now announced the new Street Tuners that don't have EGR/DPF delete capabilities so the old DPF delete tuners will soon be gone for good.:ugh

#21 ·
I live 10 mins from XDP in jersey. Gotta go local. And regen is no cost??? Tell that to the guys that sit for 20+ mins while burning and watch mpg's go down. Basically it slows the flow of exhaust out. Got it!!!! You forgot the DEF!!!!! And I do understand emissions ... delete it all!!!!!

#22 ·
#23 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.