DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

manual steering to power steering swap

5K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Speed Dragon 
#1 ·
I ma looking for information on what Dodge vehicle I can pull the power steering off of so that I can replace the manual steering of my 74 D100. Does anybody have any suggestions?

#8 ·
I think I used a early 80's box and got the pump off another truck, forget what year but they are pretty much the same 72-mid- or late-80's, I think up to '91 is the same pump. Brackets, lines and pulleys should work 72-85ish as said, you'll need to get them from a non A/C truck (unless you have A/C of course, I doubt you do if you have manual steering though). On my '72, the column bolted right up to the new box, I removed the through-bolt at the box and slid the box off the rag joint, newer box slid right in, same splines, same length.

#23 ·
Sorry for th hi-jack but I have question about this myself, except im going the other way power to manual.

So the power gear box bolted on with no mods to the manual column?
I know the passenger car columns are different lenths power vs. manual, and require an adapter from Flaming River, Firm Feel, ect. and they are rather pricey for no more than what they are.

If the truck columns are all the same length that will make life much easier.
Im getting rid of all power accessories on mine, but its a street/strip rig that doesnt get driven often so its going on a diet. No heater, no ac, no inner fenders, no power brakes, just 512 cubic inches.:rck:

#9 · (Edited)
The power steering hoses and relief valves are different from the 70's to the 80's trucks so take the pump and steering gear as a set off of the same years.

I should clarify this a little...

Somewhere between 81 and 83 they changed the hoses from a flanged style to an O-ring style and they don't interchange. If you use a 80's steering gear and a 70's pump use a 80's relief valve in the pump so that both ends of the hose are the same.

#11 ·
+1 :D Although it really isn't bad except when you are parking or something, aka under 5-10 mph. Kinda funny when you have to do more than a full revolution to turn at a stop sign though :thatfunny

#12 ·
I can always tell a truck that has manual steering at the boneyard, before I even open the hood... The steering wheel is about as big around as a trash can lid.... ;)

Eh, I had manual steering on both my Roadrunner and Duster... Oh, and my A-100 van ... And they all had 60 series tires and (About) 14" steering wheels.
I never thought it was that bad at all.

ONE of these days I'm gonna DUMP my PS when I can afford to buy a rebuilt unit (6-7 years searching in the boneyard, and still not one to be found that fit 79'-up after the Dodge Boys re-designed ... And screwed up ... The steering engineering of it all ..)

#13 ·
ONE of these days I'm gonna DUMP my PS when I can afford to buy a rebuilt unit (6-7 years searching in the boneyard, and still not one to be found that fit 79'-up after the Dodge Boys re-designed ... And screwed up ... The steering engineering of it all ..)
Seriously dude?? You have been in the mountains too long :thatfunny

#25 ·
Flaming River?
Firm Feel?

(Not sure I'd wanna do business with companies with those names... :D )

From what I've 'seen/heard' the differences between the two gearboxes is the length of the shaft from the box to the steering... The manual box being smaller but having a longer shaft (OK OK HOW ELSE do I say it!!?? ;D ) and the power steering unit (OK, this is getting weird) being bigger but with a short shaft....

There may be some issue (Not sure of the year of your rig) with number of splines on the shaft and rotation of the pitman shaft. I had this all figured out a few years ago, when I was gonna change things over, but $$ was lacking, so it never happened ... And I forget what was what....

#28 ·
I was reading a post from RC central and what was interesting was the guy showed how to strengthen behind the steering gear (which we all know)...what i did not know was there is a position for 2wd and 4wd to mount the gear itself.

#31 ·
Actually,the gearbox is the same 2wd and 4wd. the pitman arms are different, and the 4x4 box bolts to a bracket first, the bracket bolts to the frame. The 2wd box bolts straight to the frame.
The box itself is the same, just the mount and pitman arms are different.

#35 ·
Dunno anything about a reverse rotation box. I worked at a Mopar-centric salvage yard from 1984 to 2000, and we did these swaps all the time. I would just get a steering box off a pu, and stick it in the other, changing brackets and pitman arms as necessary. I never gave it a second thought, and never had any trouble with 'em. I don't remember any of them turning opposite any other.

#37 ·
That's a good question. I don't know.
When I did the swaps, I just went out in te yard and found whatever I needed to make it work.
I bet I've personally done this swap dozens of times, and I don't think I ever tried to put a manual pitman arm on a power box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.