DodgeTalk Forum banner

Do You Run A Front Sway Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Front Sway Bar - On or Off

79K views 296 replies 77 participants last post by  RobGillespie 
#1 ·
I for the longest time ran a front sway bar and just this weekend I took it off. I really REALLY like the ride difference. It is MUCH softer of a ride and seems to be more of a true "IFS".. It does have a little of a body roll but its not that bad.

So, do you run a front sway bar?

#35 ·
Take out the two bolts on each frame bracket and then take off each endlink. Don't reattach anything else to the truck because there is no reason to. REMOVE IT ALL! Besides, that just makes it 6 bolts total to undue. Should take you all of 10 minutes max.

#36 ·
Cool, I wanna here from the guys that had it on and tried to remove it. The only thing I wish I could stress for you though was the offroad improvements. The other day Craig and I did a trail which we've done before when I had my sway bar on. We did this trail again with it off, and this time after all the rain we've had, the trail was washed out big time. So the roads were worse then they were before. Let me say, with the sway bar off the truck, and the roads worse then they were... my truck handled it like 5000% better. I was so amazed.

So for you people that try it, if you can, maybe find a place you've been before, and see if there you truly see the difference.

Then again, I did notice that the on the road was smoother..

any who
I'd like to hear from you if you've tried it..

#40 ·
It's not a matter of where you're located, its a matter of a combination of how you use your truck, if you can stand a little body roll and if you take it offroad. When I lived in WI I had mine off and the roads there are horrible and nasty.

#39 ·
Mine will be off tomorrow! And i will let everyone know my results!

#41 · (Edited)
So here's my question... Anyone ever try to use a Power Wagon electronic quick disconnecting front sway bar on a 1500? Seems to me that would be the best... disconnect when you want...

I'm gonna disco mine and try it out soon, once the weather warms a little.

#43 ·
cool. I found that the rough roads were MUCH smoother. I'd love to know how others feel..

If anyone wants a front sway bar from an 06 - let me know. Mine will never go back on.

Not sure on the deep socket set? I didn't use a deep socket. Just remove the lower bolts on the LCA and then the 4 bolts..
No need to remove the top part of the end links off. Keep it as one. Might help to have someone hold it up while the bolts on the body come off.. the sway bar is a little heavy...not like you need to people to carry it heavy..

#44 ·
Don't make me use my classic line...... :D :p

#47 ·
use an adjustable wrench or some vise grips

#49 ·
Well i lied, 5 inches of snow and no garage to work in made it not possible to take mine off today. But as soon as my buddies drive way gets dry, by by sway bar!

#50 ·
Yall come up with lots of great excuses to not do one of the easiest "mods" on your truck :D

#53 ·
lol Your right :ugh there should be no excuse...

#58 ·
Feels better huh?! :)

What 1" spacer are you talking about?

I was also told if your tires are out of balance - you'll get the vibrations more. But I haven't had any problems. Though I just had mine rotated and balanced right before I took mine off...

Remember I drive 45 miles one way to work and I do some highways and curves with no issues. It does act a little different but nothing HUGE.

#54 ·
Well after reading this looks like I will be removing my front sway bar! Weight reduction!

#253 ·
I concur. Mine will be coming off the truck this week...

#55 ·
I wish a company could come out with some heavy duty disconnecting sway bar links for the 1500's. It would be the best choice for us guys with crazy driving wives and/or us guys worried about it coming back to bite us if we are involved in a serious crash (even if it's not our fault).

#56 ·
i want a smoother more comfortable ride from my 4X4, but i also want to be able to take nice sweeping curves at maximum velocity too. from a safety stand point, and the fact that my rumble bee will never go seriously off road, i cant remove the bar.

maybe someone should make a lighter/smaller aftermarket one?

#59 ·
TXJ, I looked into the PW disconnect thing before and its just not worth it. Unless you can find a trashed PW at the salvage yard (that still has the goodies on it) then its right around 1k for that disconnect system.

I am however designing something similar to it. Im gonna have to get another sway bar to try it out on though.

My idea is to get a thickwall tube that just fits over the swaybar and cut the sway bar in half and drill holes through them and put pins threw it that I can take out easily. That way it can rotate inside the tube similar to how a PW disconnect works. Is just the manual version.

#78 ·
Thats a neat idea.

DOM tubing that fits tight to the outer bar diameter would be sweet. You could weld it to one half of the bar, and use a pin in the other half. Remove the pin and it would rotate freely inside the tube, without bouncing around.

If it fit really tightly, you could even use a grease fitting to help.

#63 ·
Chrysler makes them for the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and for the Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon. But that's it I believe.

TXJ, I looked into the PW disconnect thing before and its just not worth it. Unless you can find a trashed PW at the salvage yard (that still has the goodies on it) then its right around 1k for that disconnect system.

I am however designing something similar to it. Im gonna have to get another sway bar to try it out on though.

My idea is to get a thickwall tube that just fits over the swaybar and cut the sway bar in half and drill holes through them and put pins threw it that I can take out easily. That way it can rotate inside the tube similar to how a PW disconnect works. Is just the manual version.
That actually sounds like a cool idea. Some of the guys on the JK forum who do not have Rubicons use different end links. They actually have a linchpin on the bottom of each end link. Just pull them out and you have instant sway bar disconnect.

#64 ·
There are all sorts of quick disconnects available. I believe the ones for a late 90's Cherokee with a 3" lift are the same size as the rams. I've seen them before, not too bad but really, they're nothing more than a U joint with a cotter pin.... nothing fancy. You could go to any parts store and make them for dirt cheap.

#65 ·
MI'M trying to picture a ujoint as part of a swaybar end link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.