What tires would you pick? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Wheel and Tire Talk

View Poll Results: Which Tire would you buy?
General Grabber AT 2 13 26.00%
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 18 36.00%
Firestone Destination A/T 8 16.00%
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor 12 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

SonOfMoon

Question What tires would you pick? - Posted: 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM
City: SouthEast Wis
State: WI
View This User's Garage
Post #1

I was in the market for a newer Dakota but couldn't find what I want so. Gotta get some new tires before the snow starts flying. I had General Grabber AT 2 for the last 50k or so. Wet traction and Rear tires would lock up under hard breaking(With out a Load) are my only complaints about the General's but I would buy them again. I have found 3 other tires I'm thinking about. Looking for any input from people that have used them.

Most of my Driving is on road including trips for 4wheeling and Snowmobiling. but some Logging, farm, beach access roads. Sometimes the roadbed is great material, sometimes it's not, and sometimes there's a gully with water, running right down the middle. I'm not out there mudding just what most outdoors men run into. Good Snow traction is a must, I drive 35miles each way to work in winter months.

Tire size will be 265/70R16 Stock Size.
Firestone Destination A/T
Cooper Tire Discoverer A/T3
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
General Grabber AT 2

Thanks for the input and all the great info I've picked up from lurking around here over the years!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

N1K

Posted: 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM
City: Littleton
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Picked the firestone as thats what I have and I have nothing but good things to say from all the stuff I've put these tires through.
Black Truck Club #223
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

dodgefan360

Posted: 12-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Platinum 2K R/T
City: Kitchener
State: ON
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

I second the Firestone choice. Personally I'd bite the extra cost and go with some BFG A/Ts but they're an LT tire only. BFG Doesn't make the Long Trail T/A anymore, but I've had great luck with them. Over 60K on the tires with plenty of wear left although as its' been 5 years, the tires are showing signs of cracking around the tread but nothing major to worry about.

My 2000 R/T
2000 R/T Factory service Manual

jdh564

Cooper AT3 all the way - Posted: 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM
State: IA
View This User's Garage
Post #4

I researched tires for a couple months then bought Cooper AT3 for my Ram.
I have never been a fan of Goodyear but they did run 45000 on this truck which I thought was very unusual as I have never gotten any mileage from Goodyear. I have gotten several comments on my Cooper tires. They are 20 inch. Only thing I wish is they were white letter as they would look better. I do not think you will be disappointed in them. Good luck.

340dartswinger

Posted: 12-29-2011, 01:52 PM
City: West Allis
State: WI
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

I had the Firestone Destination AT's on my last truck. Okay tire, very tame looking, not like the tirerack website depicted. Good in snow, seemed to spin easily in rain though. Biggest complaint was wear. I got less than 24k miles out of them and they were worn to the wear bars. They were a soft tire, but for what they cost for the set I was highly disappointed.
On my current truck I got a set of the Cooper AT/3's. I've only had them for a few months and about 5k miles, but they still look like new. They are great in all weather, although the most snow I was in was 3". I drove in snow up a gradual dirt/mud hill in 2wd no problem.
I'd take the Coopers over Firestone anyday of the week.
Hella's behind the "Custom" Gutter Grille, Tinted windows(20%), Cut down (10") antenna
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 275/60-20, Eyelids, LED Tailgate Lightbar, Superchips 3815

1969 Dodge Dart Swinger
360- Edelbrock RPM Heads and Cam, Holley intake and Carb, Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, TTI Headers, Full MSD Ignition.
727 Manual reverse pattern trans, 2800 Stall converter.
8 3/4 Auburn posi 3.73's.
Fiberglass Hood and Bumpers, 10pt cage and Dodge Neon bucket seats.

wveno49

Tires for Dakota - Posted: 12-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Post #6

I have a 99 Dakota 4x4 5.2. I have had Michelin LTX's on it for about 80k miles with some still to go. They are great in the snow and quiet on dry road. Probably the best tire I have ever owned. I would take the Michelin's over any of the others.

mojoman

Posted: 01-01-2012, 10:42 PM
City: Lakewood
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

The Michelin LTX's is good for what they do, I had them on my 06 they was a great tire. They are good if you don't go off road much but just a highway road tire with little to no off road I think that you can't beat them. So now if you want a off road tires the Cooper is hard to beat out of the other tires you name.

Dodgetalk.com 345 Entusiast Member #23
Member #109 "The Red Truck Club"

God Squad 1979 to Enternity
Preacher of the Gospel
Acts 3:19

dizzyD

Posted: 01-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #8

I bought Cooper discovers HTS, they seem really good in wet conditions, and only tested them once in the 1.5 years in the mountain snow, They got me there and back, slush conditions for a weekend.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, hughes plenum rebuild, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 factory freak CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

John_Carter6777

Posted: 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM
City: Coeur D' Alene, ID
State: ID
Post #9

I'm using the Firestone's on mine, and I love them. I have to go what's tried and true for me.

michigan roman

Posted: 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
State: MI
Post #10

i read above tires cracking so figured ide throw this out there .
two things , one i just was talking to a long time mechanic very bright guy and he told me the tire foam stuff for shining tires damages the rubber and worst thing you can put on tires . and after owning a couple trux that when i lower the spare down from under bed to find them dried up and cracking i figured why not start spraying them with the silicone spray you use on engine belts . im spraying a rag with silicone and wiping it on both sides of my tires mounted on truck now too

dodgefan360

Posted: 01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Platinum 2K R/T
City: Kitchener
State: ON
Post #11

Tire shine products don't harm the rubber as long as they don't contain any petroleum distillates. Vinyl shine products for vehicle interiors have a similar formulation as tire shine products but aren't as water proof. In most cases the cheapest shine products will contain a slight amount of petroleum and those are the ones you should avoid. I've never used foam products on tires, I've only ever used sprays or the wipe on type (with sponge) as I find it lasts the longest. Most guys who use tire products regularly use it on low profile tires, which generally have a super low tread wear rating and are often replaced within a few years, so you'll wear out the tire before you even start to notice cracking.

My 2000 R/T
2000 R/T Factory service Manual

michigan roman

Posted: 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
State: MI
Post #12

i meant to say the popular foam product is what mechanic said . i dont use them so not up on names so just said tire shine

volaredon

Posted: 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
older trucks ARE better!
State: IL
Post #13

if money was no object there is no choice to make... MICHELIN but since it is more so than when I had a good job, the last couple sets have been coopers
I look for new takeoffs on CL I did hit it lucky on a set of Michelin LTX M/S for my wife's Cherokee taken offa Cash for Clunker" trade in with 182 miles on the new tires.. (you read taht right) all I had to do was bolt em on were even on jeep wheels

currently have Cooper Discover M+S' on the Wrangler another mounted on wheels CL find with like no miles on them.... should have left the studs in them being winter.... (they are illegal here unless youre a mail carrier) they arent as good as the LTX A/Ts I had on there previously but better than any Goodyear I have ever had....

You couldnt give me a set of Goodyears... I hate em that bad... I have had a few varieties as what has come from past owners on some of my vehicles a couple sets were even brand new when I got em Goodyear? NO THANKS!
GoodRICH? Maybe. Especially now that they are owned by michelin.

GNARKILL

Posted: 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
State: AB
Post #14

They all suck!!... Goodyear Duratraks FTW!!
KORE Tactical Bumper 43 degree approach angle
KORE Fiberglass Fenders & Bedsides
Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
K&N Intake
35x12.5'' Goodyear Duratraks

SlimTex

Posted: 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM
City: Houston
State: TX
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNARKILL View Post
They all suck!!... Goodyear Duratraks FTW!!
Hang on there Mr Green Wheels...

The Coopers are good. Toyo's better.

Dodge_or_Die

Posted: 04-27-2013, 12:37 AM
State: OTHER
Post #16

Cooper discoverer At3 is a great tire. I stalled them myself last fall and they are great in all conditions and a good company.
Closed Thread