DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Help From Chrysler on Bad Paint Problem

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  fromanhb 
#1 ·
I leased a new 1999 Dodge Dakota from Chuck Patterson (car dealership), located in Chico, CA. At the conclusion of the lease, I purchased the vehicle. The vehicle now has approximately 57,300 miles on it. It has received maintenance on a regular schedule and is well taken care of.

Approximately one month ago, I noticed a large gray area located in the center of the roof immediately above the windshield. At first I thought this was an area I had missed when I washed the truck. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it wasn't dirt but that the paint is going bad. The gray area is actually paint primer. The area immediately to the left, right and rear of this area is very rough (like sandpaper), no longer has any clearcoat or shine and is in fact, in the process of revealing the paint primer. In plainspoken English, the paint is going bad.

Upon inspecting the rest of the truck, I noticed the paint is also in the process of going bad on the right front fender where the hood meets the fender. This area is checkered showing that the clearcoat is breaking down.

Following is an abbreviated account of my contact with them and with the Chrysler Corporation.

6/8/05

To Chuck Patterson for oil change and to point out bad paint on roof.
Waited on by Service Advisor (SA).
SA wasn't interested in looking at the paint. She gave me her card with a toll free number for Chrysler. Told me to call them with my complaint.

6/10/05

Called 1-800-992-1997 (Chrysler) and spoke with a service representative.
I explained my problem to her and she said that SA should have handled the problem. She said that there is a procedure in place to handle complaints such as mine. She said she would immediately FAX a report to Chuck Patterson advising them as to how to handle my complaint. She gave me a case number of 136564XX for future reference.

6/15/05

Called SA and told her of my conversation with the Chrysler representative. SA didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. I referred her to the FAX that Chuck Patterson was supposed to receive. She said she would research the matter and get back to me.
She called about 30 minutes later and said that she was unable to locate the FAX. Further, that she had discussed my case with her supervisor and he told her to tell me that there was nothing that either Chuck Patterson or Chrysler would do as the truck is out of warranty. She said her supervisor told her to tell me that my only recourse is to sue Chrysler.

6/15/05

I called Chrysler again and spoke with a male service representative. He was absolutely of no assistance and kept repeating that the truck is out of warranty and I have no recourse and that Chrysler isn't responsible for the paint going bad. This person had the attitude that he wasn't going to help me and that he could care less about my complaint. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he told me that wasn't possible. He said he has the authority to make the decision he has made and that there is no higher authority.

6/15/05

I called Chuck Patterson again and asked to speak to the owner of the business regarding a complaint. The operator connected me to a service representative. She listened to my complaint and said she would get back to me in two or three days. As of this writing, (6/24/05) I have not heard from her.

I conducted some research on the Internet and without too much difficulty located several sites listing discussion forums wherein other owner's of Chrysler vehicles and specifically, Dodge Dakota trucks were experiencing similar problems with their paint.
I certainly do not expect a paint job to last forever however; I do expect a new vehicle to have paint on it that will last for at least 6 years. I don't think that in this day and age, especially considering the cost of my truck, that my expectations are unrealistic.
I am requesting assistance from the Chrysler Corporation to resolve this problem.

Sincerely,
Rich
(Name & address deleted for purpose of posting on the internet.)

Reply from Chrysler
Dear Richard:

Your email has been received and the concerns you have raised are appreciated.

After thoroughly reviewing your paint request and the files on this matter, we respectfully concur with the decision rendered by our Senior Staff during your phone conversation.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation. It is regrettable that a more favorable reply can not be provided.

Thank you again for writing.

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel for you, but unfortunately once those people see that the vehicle is out of warranty they won't do a thing. I guess legal action would be the next step, but I'm not sure how far you'd get with that.

I agree paint should last much longer than 6 years.

#3 ·
I'd be cheaper to repainted it instead of taking legal action friend. I live in Orland, and I pass by Chuck Patterson Auto World almost everyday...and I have to admit that I have seen another customer last month shouting at this guy while pointing to this big grey spot on her hood.

My advise again is to repaint it.

#5 ·
wow, im from orland too.. and yes, my mom bought her 2000 Intrepid from chuck patterson.. and they are a bunch of idiots.. every time we take the car in they screw it up, her alarm she paid extra for still doesnt work.. they cant even change coolant fluid.. we've had so many problems with them, its amazing.. i feel for you though.

#6 ·
Well, the parts department has been a real help actually...for me anyway.

#7 ·
Theres one guy there, dont know his name, but he actually knows what he's doing and has helped us with our car.. but my dad found some other place that can do warranty work on my moms intrepid, so thats where we are taking it.

#8 ·
I mailed a letter to Chuck Patterson yesterday. It'll be interesting to see what their response will be. I guess what really pisses me off about the entire thing with Patterson and Chrysler is that no one has even bothered to look at my truck. Since it's out of warrently, then I'm SOL. Fine....
My next vehicle will be a Toyota, Nissan or Honda. And then American car companies wonder why their sales are down. No quality and no customer service.

#10 ·
i live in palm beach county and just got my r/t from the jupiter dodge mazda dealership... seems the weatherstrippping on the top of the windshielf came outta the trakc.. not sure how that happened.... i took it to them and they said that it's not covered under warrenty cuz its not a saefety or mechanical problem.... when i asked about it he acted like he did'nt even bother to look at it and started pushing down to see if he could get it back on without taking off the windshield... then said if it happens again take it to an autoglass place and see if its covered under insurance since florida has that law about windshield safety... they did replace my ball joints tho..

#11 ·
It seems that most if not all dealerships have the same thing in common: Want to sell you a vehicle but don't know you if there is a problem with the car/truck they sold you.
Whatever happened to customer service? Their idea of "service" is to tell you to bend over in order to get "serviced."

#12 ·
I have the same problem; see pics
I am going to try to wet sand the affected areas then try some clay bar then some polish and finish it with wax hopefully it will return some of the color to the area

Attachments

#13 ·
Good luck with trying to bring it back but I think when the gray primer is showing, then the color and clearcoat have gone south.
With mine, there is an area about the size of the palm of your hand with the primer showing. The paint all around this area is in a state of going bad. Near the primer, it's real rough, gradually getting smoother as it gets nearer to the good paint (or at least an area that hasn't yet been effected).
The sad thing is, if I wanted to sell or trade my truck, I'd take it in the shorts due to the paint. So, aside from the initial cost of the vehicle, it'll end up costing me even more when I trade or sell it.

#14 ·
luckily mine is on my roof and you cant see it unless your standing on a big curb or are taller then 7 feet but if worse comes to worse I'll just rattle can it black since thats better then nothing =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.