DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

electronic ignition control module plug out of production

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Megunticook 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a quick heads up: if anybody is looking to rewire their ignition circuit and wants the plug-in connector for the Electronic Ignition Control Module, they're out of production and Standard Motor Products lost their last source for these when Chrysler stopped making them a few years back (so someone at SMP told me). There are no plans to make more.

I managed to find one (and they have a couple left in stock) here:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-Pigtail-Socket/dp/B000C7ZVXC/ref=sr_1_2/002-7503362-5810400?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1190082709&sr=1-2

Price is kind of ridiculous (even with the big discount!) but I figured it's not one of those places where you can just make do with heat-shrink wrapped female terminals. So if you need one or think you might in the future, better order it now.

See less See more
#9 ·
Chump said:
List price...$21 at the stealer...maybe? Cheaper online.
Arrrgggghhh! I'm an idiot for paying $52.99 plus shipping when I could've gotten the whole harness for under $20. I didn't even think to check with the dealer, after all SMP told me that Chrysler wasn't making those connectors anymore.

Should've checked with you first, Chump, before I bought it! And here I was thinking I was scoring one of the last of the few remaining.

#10 ·
This dealership up in Michigan is selling these for $17.85 a pop (https://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=172). Incidentally, they seem to be a good online source for cheap Mopar parts.

I ordered one that arrived yesterday and I returned the $60 pigtail. Still can't believe I did that!

Don't know what the woman at Standard was talking about when she told me that SMP's last source for these, Chrysler, had stopped making them. . .

Incidentally, I was going to pick up an extra Mopar ignitor--the orange box one--but I saw several things online saying the quality of these has really declined in recent years and that, in fact, a lot of the Mopar Performance stuf is made in Taiwan or China. It's interesting, the auto parts industry is really going through some major changes (along with so many other industries in the new "world economy") and more and more stuff is being made overseas with price taking precedence over quality. Seems like you definitely have to work harder these days to steer clear of the junk--it's not always clear by the name brand what's good and what isn't. Price is often a good indication, but not always.

#11 ·
It's interesting, the auto parts industry is really going through some major changes (along with so many other industries in the new "world economy")

You're absolutely right Meg ... The sad part is, at times I am more than willing to pay the price for quality 'Made in USA' whatever... But you simply CAN'T get it anymore....

Ya know, my dad, who is somewhat an audio/videophile to a reasonable extent has always bragged about 'I own nothing but SONY'
I had to point out to him a while back that my new 'high end' SONY DVD player says 'Made in China' on the back of it....

and more and more stuff is being made overseas with price taking precedence over quality.

Not really sure how old you are, but I remember 20 years ago... you'd walk into a Walmart and their BIG THING was 'WE SELL 'MADE IN USA' PRODUCTS!!'
That's obviously gone down the crapper....

Seems like you definitely have to work harder these days to steer clear of the junk--it's not always clear by the name brand what's good and what isn't. Price is often a good indication, but not always.

Sad but true.... Problem is, like I say, sometimes even if you are willing to spend extra for QUALITY ... It just isn't there to be had.....

#12 ·
#13 ·
I remember Dad saying about 4-6 years ago, he was in Walmart and saw something w/ a Made in USA sticker, he looked closer and peeled the sticker back, it said made in Taiwan or China under it :( I hate Walmart, never go there unless I have to.

#14 ·
But what I'm starting to learn is that even a classic "USA" brand, like Mopar, which you expect to be quality and made by American hands--is importing stuff from overseas. When I went to order that orange ECU box, I figured, hey, a Mopar Performance ignitor for under $40, sounds great! Then I read online about how it's made overseas now and has been known to have quality issues.

So now I don't know what to think when I buy a Mopar part...as bherder says, I'd much rather pay for quality up front than save a few bucks initially and then end up replacing something a year later and spending a bunch of time troubleshooting some issue that arises from a bogus component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.