DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

5.9 supercharged?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  blade91 
#1 ·
Based on what I know I believe on 2001 there was a Dakota Shelby edition which had the 5.9 with a Ken bell supercharger which made around 360 hp and a little over 400 of torque. I could not find much information about the engine and I'm guessing that the supercharger was just slapped on the bone slapped on the bone stock 5.9?

#4 ·
Well if it where me i would put in a forged crank and maybe some better rods if you plan on using a lot of boost. I seen a Shelby mustwang let go when it was on the dyno. I don't think Shelby changed any internal engine parts. Just good insurance in my book but others have used them with the stock internals with no issue.

#5 ·
you can run 7-8 psi on stock internals with nearly no issues. head gaskets is the first thing to go being that our engines only have 10 bolts per side the heads are a weak point. there is lots of people running 10 psi supercharged or turbod but they never go to a track and usually only see short runs. the ones that really beat on a stock engine at 10psi have issues quite fast.
i ran 7 on a basically stock engine for a couple years and beat the hell out of it with no issues at all.
a set of head studs will at least protect you for a little extra just incase.
ther is a video on youtube of a dakota running 18psi on stock bottom end. its skeptical at best but its on a dyno with numbers. didnt last long. 2 1/4 runs and it blew a rod through the block i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.