DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Dealer Oil change service

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  scdaren 
#1 ·
I stopped off today at my local dealer for an oil change for my 2012 Ram1500 4x4 Hemi and was told that in the very near future they would be using synthetic oil for their express oil change services. Even on the older models. I asked what the cost would be and was told $45. Right now I pay $20. I told them I would rather not use the synthetic and stick with what I have been using and was told I could continue using regular but the new cost would be $37. I informed him he was going to be losing my business. I am seeing red over this BS plan to generate more money. Has anyone else heard about the dealers doing this? I would love to hear your feedback.

#2 ·
They have done this out here in Arizona for about 5 months now.

My wifes Durango has almost 200K miles on it and my wife has got the oil changed every 3K miles. I guess I'll just go 5K miles now.

#3 ·
Don't know much about dealer service, I do my own maintenance plus I hate other people wrenching on my truck. But, I'm guessing they might be saving on materials/operations cost by only offering one type of oil. OR, $20 per oil change is a money loser thus the change. probably will eventually occur across the nation.

#5 ·
It's funny, I do all my maintenance and wrenching on my truck. From oil changes, fuel filters etc.. to lifts..

But my wifes Durango.. only thing I ever do is the plugs at 30K miles..

She was getting the oil changes for cheaper than I could do them myself.

#4 ·
$45 dollars really isn't that bad for synthetic oil change. I usually pay around that to do an oil change myself with mobil1.

#6 ·
Will there be any advantages in having the synthetic oil over the regular? Like more miles between changes. My last truck was a 1996 Ram 1500 Sport with the 5.9L. I had 200K on the motor when I sold it and the truck ran like a champ. Guess I am looking at it like on my 2012 and why put in the high octane when it runs just as good on regular. Seems like a waste.

#7 ·
I just had my oil changed today at the dealership express and it ran me $41.00. My only concern with that switch would be I currently have 152,000 on my motor. Not sure if it would be wise to start adding synthetic to it now. I also have my oil changed every 3000 miles just to play it safe.

#8 ·
baldheaded6,

Generally, synthetic oil is known to have certain advantages over regular oil. For example, it typically lasts longer and can withstand extremes of engine temperatures better.

#9 ·
Just downloaded a coupon off the MOPAR coupons site for a $25 conventional oil change. Not sure if that's available everywhere or not. That's what I've been doing.

Not sure if having an oil change every 3000 miles is worth it regardless of which oil you use. Just costs more money, has more people messing with your truck (assuming you don't do it yourself), and is not great for the environment. Recommended is 10k miles on our trucks, I usually go about 7500.

One thing to watch out for at the dealership, last time I went in to Hanford Dodge in California, they told me I needed to replace my brakes asap because they were down to the metal. Which I discovered was complete and utter BS when I took the truck to my local Firestone a few days later and told them to replace the brakes. They told me it would be unethical for them to replace them, because I had plenty of miles left.

#10 ·
It is so sad to hear that there are still dealerships out there that are trying to rid customers off. Report them and never go back!

I had my oil changed yesterday and spoke with the manager about the whole synthetic thing. He mentioned several positives: 10k between changes, tolerate higher heat, and the big one for me is it's much better for the environment. With all that being said, I am not feeling as bad about the added cost. We are destroying our environment so much now I want to do what ever I can to make this a better place in the future. Now if we can figure out a way to improve our poor roads we drive on we could save so much money on repair costs. Maybe one day we will all be driving electric trucks.:smile

#11 ·
It is so sad to hear that there are still dealerships out there that are trying to rid customers off. Report them and never go back
The kicker is I did go back. A week later when it came to my attention that my driveway was covered with tiny spots from a leak that appeared to have started right after they worked on my car. So I took it back thinking they screwed up and did not properly tighten something. Turned out my water pump was bad (on a 2014 truck with only 55k miles) and since it was leaking coolant and not a good idea to drive, this same hated dealership got to replace my water pump (under power train warranty thankfully). This dealership is in the town where I work, now I make sure all my dealer service is done at the one near where I live, about 50 miles away.

The thought that they might have sabotaged my water pump to get the repair seems pretty extreme to me, but I'll never really know.

#13 ·
Yeah I think they just don't make these trucks like they used to. Never had a problem with my 2002, 2006, or 2009. On my 2014, in addition to the water pump, I had a power window motor on a rear window die at 58k miles. My dad's 2014 had an oil pressure sensor go out at 50k.

It's a bummer, I need this truck to last to 200k.

I blame Fiat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.