DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To Change The Spark Plugs?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  alphachief 
#1 ·
Ive never had any problem with my trucks in the past, but Ive also been able to pop the hood and see em. How do you get to them on the 5.7? Any help or pictures are appreciated. I plan on changing mine this weekend (NGK Iridiums).

#3 ·
take the air filter box out, it'll make it easier, the driver side ones will need the tool to be put on in peices and once you ge tthem lose will have to take the tool apart in peices as you take the plug out, the master cylinder is in way otherwise.

#6 ·
DonRam said:
Multiple short extensions will help with the plugs under the brake master cylinder. You can put on and pull off extensions as you are feeding the plug into and out of the head.
Amen!

#7 ·
mheideman said:
Ive never had any problem with my trucks in the past, but Ive also been able to pop the hood and see em. How do you get to them on the 5.7? Any help or pictures are appreciated. I plan on changing mine this weekend (NGK Iridiums).
mheideman, this will not be a problem for you if you have the following:
spark plug socket
10MM socket (for coil packs)
universal extension
3" extension
6" extension
torque wrench
ratchet

I also suggest the following:

Before you start, remove the stock air box and hemi hat.

Before you start on the back one on each side (7/8), remove the coil pack from 5/6 and move it out of the way. Once you've reinstalled the plugs and coil pack for 7/8, reinstall the plugs and coil pack on 5/6.

On some plugs, you will need to slip the (spark plug socket/universal/3" ext.) into place and then attach your ratchet. In fact, I'd use this to finger tighten all the plugs before attaching the torque wrench to it for final seating.

Make sure you use grease and anti-seaze on the plugs.

I strongly recommend that you make sure the gaps are correct (.045) and that you use a torque wrench on the plug install (12-14 ft. lbs.). And yes, a torque wrench can be used on all the plugs.

Once last recommendation, make sure your plug wires seat/snap properly...and double check them again after a couple of days.

IF YOU HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST MECHANICAL ABILITY (LIKE BEING ABLE TO TIE YOUR SHOES) DO THIS YOURSELF AND SAVE $250 OVER THE DEALER DOING IT!

If you have anymore questions or problems, shoot me a PM. I've done this twice in the last 45 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.