DodgeTalk Forum banner

Dodge help! Plz need some major help

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  '96 Power Wagon 
#1 ·
So just finished putting new hood and windsheild in truck this moring all went well there thankfully ( was really hoping to drive it to a event tonight ) ( i got to drive it and it made the full 100 mile trip pretty good for a truck that hasnt been on the road in 3 years ) my questions for all you dodge guys out there is 1. I read the check engine codes and it turns out one is a pressure sensor in the transmisson i know what one and how to replace it my question is if that isnt working correctly will it cause me to slip in reverse to the point it caint be used and to slip in drive if i get on it hard? Also i noticed that the motor starts hard unless i turn the key on and off a few times and it kind of sputters if held at one speed to long? Am i looking at a fuel issue or a ignition issue? What do you think is wrong? But other than that it went really good today and i am reasonabley happy with how it all went glad to finnally get to drive her

#5 ·
Most of the time the P0455 error is the gas cap seal. To see if that's the problem, you can put some baby oil on the o-ring and then clear the errors. Drive the truck and see what errors come back. It would take two or three tanks for the EVAP error to come back on me and I could repeat the baby oil again to prove that was the problem. Knowing it was the cap, I put an aftermarket gas cap but the EVAP error would never go away until I replaced it with one from the Dodge dealer. The one from the dealer was like three times the cost of the aftermarket one but the EVAP error has never come back and that's been since October of 2015.

#6 ·
Can i just buy a seal to clear the evap code?

P0455 Evap Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected

P0748 Pressure Solenoid Control/Trans Relay Circuits
Pressure solenoid? I know what it is and were it is what does it do could that be why i slip so bad in reverse and only slip when kicked down in drive also noticed sometimes when i kick it down it will not shift until i let off

#7 ·
perhaps your reverse band is out of adjustment.
also make sure the tv or kick down gable is adjusted/ hooked up correctly.
if the truck had codes before you started working, you gotta blank out the pcm before the problems will go away- even if the job was correctly done.

#8 ·
it also sounds like you may have a fuel regulator or pump issue. these units are one piece, so just buy the assembly if you don't hold 49psi..

#9 ·
have solved this issue

perhaps your reverse band is out of adjustment.
also make sure the tv or kick down gable is adjusted/ hooked up correctly.
if the truck had codes before you started working, you gotta blank out the pcm before the problems will go away- even if the job was correctly done.
I dont know how to clear the codes my rear band i ashusted it 4 times how do i adjust the kick down cable

#10 ·
many ways to clear the ram codes through the years the methods change. my 96 is easy- turn key to on and hit the brake pedal.
for later models I think what you need to do is turn the key to on- detach the positive on battery and tap it to the negative wire.
what your trying to do is discharge the memory diodes in the pcm.
the TV cable is adjusted a few ways. right on the throttle body you need to familiarize yourself with the rear sleeve extension. you basically push a button and extend the sleeve. adjust it short and notice the slack in the line. adjust it longer and longer in the idle position to just take out the slack in the cable till the spring return in the trans is just starting to tug.
or I hold mine all the way open and adjust the tv cable till its as long as it can go till it just doesn't hit the stops in the trans valve body.
adjusting on the idle side will give you slow delayed shifts.
adjusting it wide open will give you firm tight early shifts.

#12 ·
your valve body might not be opening at all. too much slack

#13 ·
or you might still have some old 2nd tear codes still active.
they act funny with old codes in the memory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.