DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huge tune up!

4K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  Willchrisg93 
#1 ·
Hi guys very first post pretty sure it's in the right place. I'm the proud owner of a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l auto with...drum roll please! 209000 miles! And knock on wood nothing seriously wrong (tranny kicks a little from first to second but that's getting rebuilt soon anyway) I inherited the truck from a best friend of mine who unfortunately didn't take very good care of it and let it sit for a couple years etc. I'm getting ready to do a pretty big tune up soon ( radiator because it has a leak at the driver side frame mounting hole, water pump, fan clutch, timing + double roller chain, air filter, oil, etc) any preference on parts listed that might be better than the shit they sell at autozone? (There's a 4wheelparts store right by my house if that helps) for instance I want to go to a double roller chain but this being the first dodge truck I've ever owned don't really now one brand from another and who makes good products and what company I should just stay away from all together any input would be appreciated. Thanks! Ps things i or my friend have done to the engine it has a k&n intake, and magnaflow pipes other than that I'm pretty sure she is stock.

#2 ·
most things ordered from summit racing is a cut above the rest. shipping will be fast, normally 3 days.
from the top:
radiators are really a catch all, since they are all two part aluminum and plastic end caps.
if it were my truck and I'm glad I did- go for a high flow pump.
fan clutches are best in the severe duty quality.
as double roller chains go, I had a bad one from compcams. cloyes are fine and remember to use a 6cylinder chain tensioner on that chain. its good insurance for accurate timing.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input! Do you have a brand preference on the fan clutch? I eventually want to turn this truck into a toy but I just separated from the navy and am now a full time college student so I'm doing it section at a time! Next on the list is suspension I'm thinking about getting the tiff country long arm kit but that requires a little bit of saving on my end ?

#4 ·
also try rock auto for brand availability. I have had good luck too with their selections.
for a fan clutch, just get a hd one, basically the brands are great if you order from summit.

#6 ·
Stick with well known manufactures, It's no insurance policy but they are usually better that the crap you see on ebay. Radiator.com is where you want to get your radiator from! lifetime warranty! I had bad luck with local parts stores (two times!) and then bought one from them. It's been in the truck for over 10 years and not one issue.

#7 ·
in regards to radiators, make it a point to find a two row core. I have found just the factory replacements are inadequate. Rams do have cooling deficiencies. thus the multiple reasons for a hd clutch assembly.

#9 ·
Just did a quick serch couldn't find any two row ones for a 1500 5.9l but I did find a couple nice 2500 ones. Are the mounting holes the same or would it require a little fab work? Input and output holes looked like they where in different spots but that's just hoses and can be easily fixed.

#10 ·
I was looking too- the usual haunts. wow, couldn't find one.
2500 v8 rads are just the same. make sure there is trans connections if you have them. and if you don't have a trans cooler on yours, get one installed!
my truck is heavily modified and I don't run the typical coolant system because of the complaints and issues in the 1500s I did away with my oe system long ago.
at least do upgrades if you need replacements, this is my typical excuse to the wife for performance parts.

#11 ·
Lol I do the same thing ? I saw the mishimotto one for the 2500 I might just call them and see what they can do my buddy had a mishimotto radiator in a Toyota Corolla he had and it kept his system nice and cool. I was also looking at the b&m trans cooler Ill probably put that in after the trans rebuild though

#13 ·
Spun has a thread or threads with pics of his set up. It a diesel rad with two electric fans. All the radiators are the same from the V6 up the the 360(gas) motors, One row 1 1/4 wide. I also looked for a better cooling rad and found this...

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details3.php?PartID=430&year=1996&make=Dodge&model=Ram

Not at all cheap!!! If you can tig weld you can one of these and make the brackets needed. They also have closed end rads so you can build your own to your specs. Two rows of one inch tubes!!!

http://www.northernfactory.com/HIGH_PERFORMANCE/SEARCH_BY_CATEGORY/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_RADIATORS/RACE_PRO_RADIATORS/19_INCH_RACE_PRO_RADIATORS/19_INCH_CHEVY-GM_RACE_PRO/209615

#14 ·
I wouldn't with a clear conscious send you down the road I was on till, I knew how good your problem solving and fab skills are!
I am not even close to a stock ram anymore!
if you can handle yourself on ebay i'd send you to the all alu rad company I used for mine. and what you have to do is be ready to complain/ send it back/ and argue if there's any iota wrong with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-rows-1994...ash=item2c94f11654:g:OvAAAOSwirZTsYZq&vxp=mtr
that's a gas rad w trans cooler bosses. not sure if the tap threads look right, but you may be able to adapt npt hose barb fittings to a rubber hose and clamp it.
or re-tap it for ram trans fittings.
I went to a diesel rad. larger. no trans fittings. I don't have the rad heat exchange hook up loop anymore, I just go to a remote cooler and back to the transmission.

#15 ·
Favs skills are halfway decent but not great tool metal shop for four years in highs school taught how to tig mig and arc (and flux but that's similar too mug just different wire and gross looking welds) and I was a aviation structural mechanic for the past four years. but quick question I'm probably wrong about this Ive never herd of it done either but what if you get a radiator without having the tranny connections and mount an aftermarket trans cooler in front of the a/c condenser and just bypass the radiator all together I'm assuming there's not enough surface area? But it's just food for thought. Anyone every try it before

#16 ·
sure. I seen it all! what you suggested sounds possible. do you have trans cooler lines to begin with?
your in Minnesota? if your climate is prone to freezing over, I would suggest the heat exchange. PATC told me a cold trans wount hurt it but!
I'm in PA and I have no trouble through the winter with just running the straight cooler w/ no heat exchange. but it does take some time for the trans to warm up. and the 46re is prone to starve for oil and wine in the cold when engaged to reverse.

#17 ·
click on my name and look through the threads I've started. should be of some help for you- ideas anyway.

#18 ·
Not minisota CA unfortunately just for three - four years though then moving up to Washington somewhere out in the sticks where people aren't in such a hurry to go everywhere and I've herd of the trannys whining mines been good to me so far...again knock on wood just kicks when going from first to second. haha well thanks again spun I'll be looking over your threads and I'll post up pics when I start getting shit in can't wait till November ?

#19 ·
Wow my English is bad haha so I know I said I'd be buying parts at the beginning of November but there was a slip up with my paperwork at the va so hopefully they get that fixed and unfortunately went to go get her smogged and of course she failed so now I'm stuck replacing my cat converter [emoji49] question are these things suppose to be hollow lol cause mine is just a straight hole lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
do yourself a favor!
don't replace the standard with a chrystler oem catalytic.
find a magnaflow or look into a thunderbolt catalytic (way cheaper!) ebay has um... :wink

#24 ·
pepboys had what in stock?
what did they install?
!PEPBOYS! :ugh

#26 ·
that's good. I wouldn't let pepboy mechanics work on my tricycle!
you still didn't say what type of catalytic you got? clamp on universal, retro fit, oem fit with down pipes, walker, magnaflow?

#27 ·
Magnaflow. I herd walker was okay but I know magnaflow and grew up watching my dad use their products. had to be welded though **** clamps we used pacesetter 4-2-1 collection pipe headers on my girlfriends jeep (98 tj sport 4.0l) and their stupid clamps just eventually came loose and vibrated a hole into the down pipe (and yes after installation I ran it for a day then broke the torque and re torqued them) so when I can I weld

#29 ·
her we go with the stories!
whew! green horns in the mechanic field, or tire technician school kids.
I know low profiles are a little harder to seat on the bead but, 60s on steel wheels- come ON?
so I had a surprise for my GF. took her car away for new tires while she was at work. HA HA surprise!
a school kid bent the rim trying to spin the tire on. so I walked in after him, cause I was watching, askin questions loud over all the other work going on. he felt the need to circle a tool bench keeping it between us. he had every excuse in the book as to why its not his fault. then had the audacity to pick up the biggest wrench in his reach and stand there. well I didn't need a hole lot of reason to get aggressive. picked up the 2nd biggest wrench and proceeded to play ring around the poseys till the shop manager refereed and guaranteed me a new rim. and they gave me a junk yard rim!
never will I let a tech school kid work on my car again and there's no lover for C&Js tire anymore and there's lots of stories just like that one coming out of pepboys. a cummins buddy of mine had an oil plug stripped out and glued back in with rtv blue. till he knew it was his next oil change and had to swap out to a new oil pan!

#30 ·
I really hope the Cummings story is just your idea of a sick joke or ghost story or something. I'll be the first to admit I'm no master mechanic I'm a 22 year old kid who just got out of the military and grew up around cars lol. which I've seen some creative shit in the military too because everyone is someone when they get a chance to reinvent themselves if you know what I mean. Like I can't tell you how many "pro high school football stars" I've met but anyway never in my life would I think to do something as dumb as that shit

#31 ·
sick joke! that's what this young giveme generation does with its responsibilities.
the age of ear gauges, skinny jeans and vegetative screen time! the millennial zombies

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.