DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering box stabilizer brace

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  key99 
#1 ·
Has anyone used a steering box stabilizer brace?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup; for good reasons, many 2G owners use them.

#5 ·
i have one.
roll call?

#10 · (Edited)
The Spohn in your pic looks well finished/trimmed, possibly made to clear dropped pitman arm (this may be a factor if truck is lifted, or will be in future).

Bearing quality and availability may be factors.
... The install sheet for my Darins (www.solidsteel.biz) lists brg as SA 205-16 (or 205-100) 1" bore self aligning, metal shields and grease hole. Holder is standard FL 205.

Brg locking collars are bi-directional and can be tightened either CW or CCW; proper practice is to always tighten collar in "direction of shaft rotation", as most shafts primarily rotate one direction only.

But the steering box sector shaft is bi-directional, no primary rotation; so good practice is to tighten collar CW (just like CW tightens ordinary right hand thread bolts/nuts); this is easy to remember and during removal avoids breaking collar due to over tightening, simply loosen collar CCW like ordinary bolt/nut. my02

#12 ·
Ive got one. Same as others said, good noticeable upgrade.

#13 ·
I am ordering this one tomorrow (pay day for me = toys for my ride): Google search Hell Bent Steel and select the stabilizer. $139.30, very reasonable. I'm getting mine right after having to replace my power steeling pump.

Comes in Black, Red or Blue. Blue for mine! :)

#14 ·
I got the red Spohn one and it made a tiny difference in handling. I still fight the steering from 12-2 o'clock. I had better results from doing an accurate alignment.

#15 ·
An alignment on a 2nd gen is literally only to straighten out the steering wheel. Everything else is just from bad bushings or gear box. The 10-2 issue on mine play in the gear box. Everything else was fixed with a stabilizer.

#16 ·
Nope. Toe in/out is very adjustable. Once toe is set, then you adjust the steering wheel. Due to the Y steering, one tweak on one TR will change everything. I spent a whole day re-aligning my truck after driving two years on a bad shop job. These shops have no clue what a straight axle is anymore.

#21 ·
Yeah toe is adjustable, but shouldn't ever have to be touched unless you replace the bar. Adjusting the tie-rod from the pitman won't effect your toe at all, just your steering wheel and full lock position.

#17 ·
it really must not be all that easy! cause, i'v had more bad alignments than good ones.
and since the one ton cross over mod, i so far have done the best alignment i've ever had myself! go figure. how many times have i paid someone with high tech equipment to do it wrong!
the upside down Y just system just blows!

#18 ·
I agree. I want to do the 1 ton crossover setup but my TRs are still good. It's part of my Redhead+pump+TR remodel eventually. Spun, what brand did you find? I would like to get quality Dana parts again. I also read somewhere that they barely fit because it was designed for the larger Dana 60. True?

#19 ·
believe it or not.
i havent touched my alignment in years.
a chinese brand named, "OE".. from ebay. wordsuspension
and yes. i had trouble bringing in the drag link far enough. was too long. for possibly a longer or different knuckle position? i am right up close in the adjuster. like less than 1/8th left in the sleeve. almost had to shorten the threaded ends. really it wouldnt be that bad to do so. but my steering wheel is perfectly centered!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Do...nty-/141563090675?vxp=mtr&hash=item20f5d156f3

#23 ·
so will this help with it feeling so loose in the wheel? thanks
...Steering brace will help if sector/pitman "shaft" is sloppy/loose in the steering box; it also ties both frame rails together to reduce frame flex where box mounts.
... It cannot cure other steering problems/slop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.